liked organic=liked biochem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I

IdoDrugs

if i liked organic chemistry because its not alot of memorization (i dont think it is, i try to study to understand mechanisms very well and really enjoy questions like "propose a mechanism")...will i most likely hate a year of biochemistry?

Members don't see this ad.

I took a quarter of biochem and I enjoyed it. I kinda like ochem too (the synthesis part, hate mechanism).

biochem is different though, there's tons of memorization, memorizing all the pathways and structures might be a bit overwhelming at first but once you see the big picture, it's not that bad.

What kind of Ochem class did you take? I memorized the mechanics over the mechanisms too, but still, there is a LOT of rote memorization that has nothing to do with electron pushing and what attacks, where, etc.

I am taking biochem now and am enjoying it. There is a lot of memorization (less than Ochem IMO) but learning how things actually work in the living world is a lot more interesting than in the Ochem laboratory world.

Members don't see this ad :)
Biochem is taught in different ways and depends on the teacher...some focus more on the biological aspects while others the chemical aspects....the one i took focused more on the chemical aspects and we had to memorize how to draw insane compounds for no reason (no not the amino acids more like carboxypeptidase etc)...

I took a semester of Biochem. I found the first 2/3 to be concept driven (enzyme kinetics, protein folding, biochem of macromolecules), but the last third was pure memorization (energy and metabolism).

I really enjoyed the course though. It was really hard, but it was interesting to relearn all the biology through a chem perspective.

i liked organic chem II and also liked biochem (i took organic before biochem)..but at my school, biochem didnt emphasize as much organic chem as i thought it would...it basically stuck to the bio models and pathways..

Loved biochemistry (my field of study in graduate school) but was not "carbon-friendly" as an undergraduate chemistry major.

i abhor ochem, i LOVED biochem. different strokes for different folks

I loved both classes. However, biochem is very different than organic.

I hated orgo with a passion and now I dare not touch any more chem.

But what do you people say about biochem vs. molbio. Are the topics similar? I was talking to someone and he said that molbio and biochem came together very nicely.
true?

wasn't a huge fan of orgo but loved biochem. i think it differs by person.

loved loved loved orgo (need to think to do well)

hated hated hated biochem (need to commit time to memorize to do well)

Loathed organic (and it loathed me in turn!), loved biochemistry.

liked orgo...hate biochem

depends on teacher and course. covering 28 chapters of biochem in 1 semester (Biochem I & II) in 1 semester makes it suck even more...