likelihood of bumping into somebody you know on the interview trail?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spf15

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious about how the logistics of interviewing for med schools works. Assuming that two applicants are applying to the same schools, what are the chances that they will interview at the same school on the same day? For people who have already applied, did you bump into anybody that you knew (either from your school, or from another school) on the interview trail?

(and... yes, there is somebody that I'd prefer to not bump into on the interview trail :rolleyes:)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm curious about how the logistics of interviewing for med schools works. Assuming that two applicants are applying to the same schools, what are the chances that they will interview at the same school on the same day? For people who have already applied, did you bump into anybody that you knew (either from your school, or from another school) on the interview trail?

(and... yes, there is somebody that I'd prefer to not bump into on the interview trail :rolleyes:)

Not very frequent, though my best friend and I interviewed at one of our state schools on the same date. Bit of fun as we road tripped down together. Other than that, though, I didn't know anyone.

In the Texas circuit I saw some people I recognized from school, but at subsequent interviews I'd notice the same faces from other interviews.

Depends how wide you cast your net

Members don't see this ad :)
how many people are interviewed on each interview day? I know it probably varies from school to school, but what's the general range? And do ALL schools make applicants wait together and socialize in a waiting room?

how many people are interviewed on each interview day? I know it probably varies from school to school, but what's the general range? And do ALL schools make applicants wait together and socialize in a waiting room?

Varies - I saw anything from 7-10 people in a group to 30-40 (larger state schools). Most were no more than 15 or so per day. And they don't "make" you, but there's just nothing else to do. I mean, are you going to leave while everyone else is hanging out and wander around the campus? :confused:

Depends where you apply. If at your own school's med school or within a state/region, it's not that unlikely. There were a few interviewees who we discovered had mutual friends as we talked, although I do not recall running into any of my own friends at interviews (at least not as fellow interviewees).

Schools interviewed anywhere from 10 to 50+ on a given interview day. It all depends on the program and how their admissions dept runs interviews. As for socializing, well... they can't "make" you do anything but if you don't at least hang out and socialize some, I'd think others might notice. I know all of my interviews involved some sort of hang out time where we applicants/interviewees simply hung out and talked, usually at a big conference table in or next to the Office of Admissions. Why are you so worried about this? If you run into "that person," either ignore him/her or engage him/her in conversation anyway and ignore your differences. It's just a few hours. Surely you can tolerate an annoying/insulting/b*tchy/whatever person for a few hours. (If not, you might find medicine -- or anything in healthcare for that matter -- a particularly difficult field....)

Medical school admissions it is rare to see the same people at interviews. Happens, but infrequently. Residency interviews are the same people over and over. The number of spots is just that much smaller...

Depends on where you are and what school you're from. In Texas so far I have known at least one from each and at one I knew 3. But on Amcas since the application hits way more schools I bet it is less likely.

It happens more often if you're still in college. Not as common for non-trads.

You might see the same people at a couple of interviews. I saw three people twice each at different places. Less likely to see someone you know unless you plan it that way.

How many people discover other SDN regulars on the interview trail? :laugh:

I met a few people through SDN, mostly med students at the schools I was going to. I also had several applicants identify me IRL, which was creepy.

(sent from my phone)

Pshaw, it's creepy when at least one applicant doesn't identify me each day :laugh:.

I bumped into a couple recent grads from my school that were 1st year medical students, and I made a couple friends along the trail that I saw at several interviews, but for the most part the chances are low.

I saw an old friend at my first interview that I hadn't seen in years. There were a few instances where I interviewed with the same people at different schools. I didn't run into anyone from my university on an interview day, though.

I ran into someone from my university (who was actually in most of my classes) at an interview. I also ran into 3 people (at 3 different interviews) with whom I attended a summer science program in high school, so it was pretty cool to catch up with them. I'd say it's not very common, but the amount of time spent in the waiting room interacting with people is usually pretty short, so you'll be fine.