Likely to Match EM - Should I buy books?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drimpossible

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm a current MS4/EM applicant, and based in part on NRMP historical data, will likely be a PGY-1 in EM next year.

My question is pretty straightforward: I like books. I have heard of some residency programs giving textbooks (eg Rosen's) or allowances to their residents to cover learning materials including textbooks. My question is how common is this? Is it worth waiting to find out my residency programs policy before I drop a few hundo on some textbooks? Would this be an inappropriate question to ask during interviews?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,

I'm a current MS4/EM applicant, and based in part on NRMP historical data, will likely be a PGY-1 in EM next year.

My question is pretty straightforward: I like books. I have heard of some residency programs giving textbooks (eg Rosen's) or allowances to their residents to cover learning materials including textbooks. My question is how common is this? Is it worth waiting to find out my residency programs policy before I drop a few hundo on some textbooks? Would this be an inappropriate question to ask during interviews?

Thanks.

Depends on how wealthy you are

I recommend not buying books until you start residency. Then you'll be able to ask around and see what people are using to study, and finally pick a book that you think will work well with your learning style. Most school have access to the big EM books (Rosen's, Tintinalli's, etc) so I recommend just looking up stuff through your school library for now. Your residency might give you an education stipend to spending on books so its not worth spending your precious loan money. Also, don't ask this question on an interviews, maybe during the social if you're really curious.

Finally, you're an MS4...relax and enjoy 4th year. Don't do any studying or reading....

Hi All,

Thanks.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't ask those premed style questions, like should I study before med school. The answer is no and no to studying before residency. If you like studying or want a head start, why not study for step 3 so that you can take it early and get that out of the way?

First, many residency programs have online access to all the major em textbooks. Buying them would be a huge waste of money/paper imo.

Second, you should realize that medicine changes fast; textbooks are years out of date. There are plenty of things in Rosens which are no longer really done in actual practice. You would probably be better served by reading uptodate and paying attention in conference time during residency.

Third, don't study during M4 year. You need the break and need to be well rested by the start of residency. This isn't a race to how fast you can know everything.

Just to be clear I have no intention of studying up on EM before residency. Sorry if this was not apparent in my original post.

Question remains whether it is industry standard for residency programs to offer books. Sounds like it is likely but not guaranteed. Thanks!

Don't ask those premed style questions, like should I study before med school. The answer is no and no to studying before residency. If you like studying or want a head start, why not study for step 3 so that you can take it early and get that out of the way?

Didn't state anything about studying anywhere in my post, but I appreciate a snarky rant as much as the next guy. Well done.

Dude,

10/10 you will have them bought for you.

Ask that during interviews, and you're going to get some eye rolls.

****, I'll send you my Tintinalli at a serious discount.

Remember this: If you want to know how we practiced medicine ten years ago... read a textbook. If you want to know how we did it five years ago... read a journal. If you want to know how we do it now.... look up from your books and pay attention.

Why buy books now when there might be a newer edition next year?

Unless you are that type of person who wants to walk around campus and coffee shops with an EM book, so that everyone knows you are going into EM. This will boost your self esteem, etc. LOL

If you buy books now you'll have to move them to wherever you get a residency spot.

Trust me, books ar heavy and you will curse that decision.