Limited time for MCAT studying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MsBrain

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I really need some good advice on how I should properly study for my MCAT. Many people say that you should study in the summer when you're out of school, but I've been taking summer classes every year since I've been in college and my summers are not open for this type of studying. I plan on doing most of my studying during the regular semester while taking classes. I will be taking 16 hours this semester and bio chem is one of my classes as well as some other difficult classes. Since I plan on taking the MCAT on October 25th, is this really a task that I should take on? I'm really trying to avoid the 2015 MCAT while giving myself room for the possibility of retaking the exam in late January.

Members don't see this ad.

Although your situation is not ideal, it is definitely possible for someone to do well under your circumstances (assuming no large commitments to other ECs). Whether YOU can do well is dependent on your will power and study habits. You are going to have to be prepared to give up lots of leisure time and study/go to class way more than you are used to. Some people get burnt out after doing this for several weeks, others don't.

If possible spend as little time as possible reviewing the content at most 1 month. The most important thing is practice. You can even practice at the same time as you do the review. I would recommend EK 1001 series to get comfortable with topics you are not sure about. Usually while practicing from EK 1001 go from high yield to the low yield. Then, you can start using question packs close to your test date