Limiting Daily Verbal Passages?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zaids37

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ive read that a lot of people suggest anywhere between the range of 2-5 VR passages a day. But my question is if I wanna sit down for 2 hours and 5+ would this still be beneficial? My VR score is pretty bad so I'm trying to focus on more and more practice. The only downfall of this I could see is running out of passages...unless there is something I'm missing

Bonus question: Where can I get more verbal passages/practice? I already have TPRH Verbal workbook and EK101 and will be taking all the passages in these 2 separately rather than tests because I keep getting around 3 wrong per passage on average :(

Members don't see this ad.

Ive read that a lot of people suggest anywhere between the range of 2-5 VR passages a day. But my question is if I wanna sit down for 2 hours and 5+ would this still be beneficial? My VR score is pretty bad so I'm trying to focus on more and more practice. The only downfall of this I could see is running out of passages...unless there is something I'm missing

Bonus question: Where can I get more verbal passages/practice? I already have TPRH Verbal workbook and EK101 and will be taking all the passages in these 2 separately rather than tests because I keep getting around 3 wrong per passage on average :(

An option I would have you consider is do 7 VR passages (with 39-42 questions) on alternating days and time it

Would it be less beneficial to just do 7 per day? Or is that too much?

I'll try it out though! Anything to improve it

One problem that I could foresee is that if you do lots of passages in a row without analyzing or checking your strategy then you may be wasting passages or reinforcing a bad habit. You are more likely to catch quickly your errors when you are analyzing every couple of passages rather than 7+.

Also, there were some days that I did 7+ passages in a day (I had the passages bc I was behind on VR) and I did analyze my results after every couple of passages, but I noticed that I would get frustrated over stupid mistakes that I would make or even because of stupid questions from EK 101. My frustration then affected my ability to improve my performance over the next 5+ passages.

If you can avoid these mistakes, don't run out of passages and don't get burnt out, then I do not see a problem with doing 7 passages a day.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There aren't enough good passages to take more than a few each day. I wish there were plenty of good verbal sources, yet it's really just EK 101 Verbal and TPRH VW.

Is it possible to have a large score discrepancy between EK 101 scores and the AAMCs/real test (e.g. 8 vs. 11)?

Is it possible to have a large score discrepancy between EK 101 scores and the AAMCs/real test (e.g. 8 vs. 11)?

Yes. I usually scored between 8-10 on EK 101 VR but my range was usually 10-13 on the AAMCs/real test.

I would get TBR verbal and use those solely for endurance purposes on days u do 7 passages a day. And save Ek & TPRH for 2-3 passages a day

Definitely. Although EK and TPRH are the best bets in verbal, nothing truly matches the AAMC verbal style other than actual AAMC material. Hopefully, it works in the test takers favor, yet it doesn't always work out like that.

Definitely. Although EK and TPRH are the best bets in verbal, nothing truly matches the AAMC verbal style other than actual AAMC material. Hopefully, it works in the test takers favor, yet it doesn't always work out like that.
Hey SN2ed can you PM me have a few q's

I have been doing about 2 EK passages a day. But my frustration is that they ask stupid questions in the way they word it. :( Frustrating!!

Also, when starting out, is it better to do untimed? I figure it is better to get technique rather than speed down first. At least that's how athletes do it...

I have been doing about 2 EK passages a day. But my frustration is that they ask stupid questions in the way they word it. :( Frustrating!!

Also, when starting out, is it better to do untimed? I figure it is better to get technique rather than speed down first. At least that's how athletes do it...

I haven't gotten my score yet but I was ranging 10-11s on the AAMC's. I do believe the first few passages you need to do them untimed to be able to ensure that whatever problems you have stem not from your lack of time but technique. I used the EK and TPR verbal books (not the practice set books but the ones that teach you style and method + few passages) for this. This is how I see EK101 and TPRH

EK101 - Passages are easier than AAMC in terms of how they read, however their questions are trickier and do get you in the thinking process that you need to be able to focus on the major points of a passage - such as the Main Idea, and how the Main idea sometimes drives a lot of question answers.

TPRH - I found these to be harder to read than the practice AAMC tests, and they have a nice variety of the type of questions they ask that reflect the AAMC style. Their content recall questions can be very tricky and train you to understand the nuances of the passage, however I found their Main Idea questions to be simpler than what the AAMC often asked. With that said I think TPRH has the best way to ask the non-content/main Idea type questions, even though their passages tended to be harder than AAMCs.

I haven't gotten my score yet but I was ranging 10-11s on the AAMC's. I do believe the first few passages you need to do them untimed to be able to ensure that whatever problems you have stem not from your lack of time but technique. I used the EK and TPR verbal books (not the practice set books but the ones that teach you style and method + few passages) for this. This is how I see EK101 and TPRH

EK101 - Passages are easier than AAMC in terms of how they read, however their questions are trickier and do get you in the thinking process that you need to be able to focus on the major points of a passage - such as the Main Idea, and how the Main idea sometimes drives a lot of question answers.

TPRH - I found these to be harder to read than the practice AAMC tests, and they have a nice variety of the type of questions they ask that reflect the AAMC style. Their content recall questions can be very tricky and train you to understand the nuances of the passage, however I found their Main Idea questions to be simpler than what the AAMC often asked. With that said I think TPRH has the best way to ask the non-content/main Idea type questions, even though their passages tended to be harder than AAMCs.
Thanks!!!

I was wondering why the verbal in EK was easy to understand... I was expecting more difficult reading. The questions though.........

I am saving my precious TPRH verbal until I finish my EK! Thanks again for your input :) I also have TBR verbal. Should I be doing that before TPRH....?

Thanks!!!

I was wondering why the verbal in EK was easy to understand... I was expecting more difficult reading. The questions though.........

I am saving my precious TPRH verbal until I finish my EK! Thanks again for your input :) I also have TBR verbal. Should I be doing that before TPRH....?

I have TBR Verbal and EK101... Like others have said, TBR is good for reading longer passages to train yourself to read more quickly. I'd have to say their questions do fall quite short of what AAMC questions feel like. EK101 has more quality questions IMO. I don't have TPRH. You could also look into the AAMC Self-Assessment for more passages.

I have TBR Verbal and EK101... Like others have said, TBR is good for reading longer passages to train yourself to read more quickly. I'd have to say their questions do fall quite short of what AAMC questions feel like. EK101 has more quality questions IMO. I don't have TPRH. You could also look into the AAMC Self-Assessment for more passages.

I think I will use EK to adjust into the proper mindset and then work on TBR for endurance. And then use TPR and then solely focus on AAMC. Thank you!