Lincoln Memorial DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That is incorrect. You must purchase every item in the diagnostic kit. A few days after orientation, there will be a mandatory check off where the professors physically look to see if you have all the items. Failure to have all the items will result in a loss of points toward your final grade. The diagnostic kit sold by Welch Alyn (spelling) ran around a thousand dollars.

Also, I'm not sure who thinks you only need a stethoscope but they will be in for a big surprise later on in EPC. There will be labs like Ears, Nose and Throat, where you learn on each other first (how to check the tympanic membrane, how to check the optic disk, etc) and then you will do the same things for your lab practicals - which is on standardized patients.
4th year here. Those kits are a complete waste of money and you can find cheaper otoscope/ophthalmoscope sets on ebay for <$200 if you really want it. No need to spend $1000 on that overpriced panoptic set you'll probably never use outside of EPC. All the clinic rooms should have them for lab practicals anyway. I wonder if DCOM makes a commission on each Welch Allyn kit sold at orientation. I went with the cheap ebay set and maybe used it a handful of times my entire time at DCOM.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Who interviewed on the 30th?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How'd you like it?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I got a lot of answers I was looking for and was able to ask a lot of questions, and so that was very helpful. I've been to the campus several times as my husband is an alumni from LMU and I've toured there before so I knew going into the application cycle that I love the campus and facilities. My circumstances are a bit different than others so overall I left with a pretty good feeling about it

Reactions: 1 users
Hoping for a call today... Good luck to all who interviewed this week.

@Marrowist I interviewed 9/30 and received an acceptance call Friday. They did tell us during interview day that not getting a call this weekend did not necessarily mean applicants wouldn't be accepted, just that they ran out of time to call. Only the dean can make the calls and he is obviously very busy. On Monday (tomorrow) they will send out emails to everyone in our interview group that will say either accepted/waitlisted/rejected. So you will have an answer very soon. Best of luck!

Reactions: 2 users
@Marrowist I interviewed 9/30 and received an acceptance call Friday. They did tell us during interview day that not getting a call this weekend did not necessarily mean applicants wouldn't be accepted, just that they ran out of time to call. Only the dean can make the calls and he is obviously very busy. On Monday (tomorrow) they will send out emails to everyone in our interview group that will say either accepted/waitlisted/rejected. So you will have an answer very soon. Best of luck!
Congrats on your acceptance! With n=2 people from our group getting the call Friday I am not getting my hopes up. I thought the call would come on Sunday.

Has anyone here been waitlisted or rejected?

Got the rejection email today. Interviewed 9/30.

My GPA and MCAT are good, lots of ECs, research, clinical experience. Not sure what I could have done differently, feels like I just got unlucky with interviewers who didn't like me. They second guessed all my answers, even cutting me off a few times. My questions at the end were given very terse responses. It certainly was the least personable and shortest interview out of the 5 interviews I've had so far.

Congrats to those accepted and best of luck to everyone else.

Got the rejection email today. Interviewed 9/30.

My GPA and MCAT are good, lots of ECs, research, clinical experience. Not sure what I could have done differently, feels like I just got unlucky with interviewers who didn't like me. They second guessed all my answers, even cutting me off a few times. My questions at the end were given very terse responses. It certainly was the least personable and shortest interview out of the 5 interviews I've had so far.

Congrats to those accepted and best of luck to everyone else.
Its weird... my interview was the best I have had so far, I felt it went amazing and I was waitlisted. Oh well, moving on!

Accepted via email rn! Interviewed 9/30. Weird bc I thought my interview went horrible and I had some tough interviewers. Guess you never know what they're looking for :rolleyes:

Good luck to everyone else! Im sure the waiting list will move quickly.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How long after the DMU complete email are people receiving II? I submitted 2 weeks ago and just got the complete and under review email this morning.

It's a thourough process so don't freak out over having to wait a little bit.
I was complete 7/27
However they had some computer problems and I didn't get complete in their system until 8/16 because they couldn't download primary applications.
I was offered an interview on 8/17
Interviewed 9/9
Accepted 9/19

Electronic applications also run the risk of computer error and they recieve TONs of apps.
I'd wait at least a month and then call admissions and they are super nice and will tell you where you are in the processs.
Have patience you must :)

Reactions: 1 users
For people who have already interviewed, would it be appropriate to bring my girlfriend to interview day? The II email said that significant others and parents are welcome and I would like for her to get an idea of the school.

Current DCOM Spouse here.. I came along with my husband during his interview, but only went to the meet and greet. While he interviewed, I explored the area a bit, went on a hike, got some lunch, walked around campus, etc. I would have felt awkward tagging along with him all day, but I was happy to go to the meet and greet and figure out where the heck I might be living.

If your girlfriend is going to move with you, go ahead and bring her so she knows what she might be getting herself into. And do let her know that DCOM does offer significant other support through the Student Advocate Association group.

Also, several other significant others were at the meet and greet. I don't know what they did during the interview, but she's unlikely to be alone if she does decide she wants to stay with you all day. Other interviewees might think it's weird, but I'm fairly certain it is commonplace at DCOM and your interviewers are unlikely to care.

For those of you who have been accepted, how many days between the interview and the call did it take to find out? I interviewed on 10/7 and I'm hoping for a call this weekend

For those of you who have been accepted, how many days between the interview and the call did it take to find out? I interviewed on 10/7 and I'm hoping for a call this weekend

2 weeks because the dean was in China. I think the average is 1 week though

so if i haven't received one yet did that mean i wasn't accepted?

I wouldn't worry about that yet. I actually called the admissions office about a question I had and she was surprised that he had already started making calls. I'm sure he's going to be making calls all weekend

I wouldn't worry about that yet. I actually called the admissions office about a question I had and she was surprised that he had already started making calls. I'm sure he's going to be making calls all weekend

Thank you! That helps me not worry :)

How long are the secondaries suppose to be? It doesn't have a character/ word limit...

How long are the secondaries suppose to be? It doesn't have a character/ word limit...

Start typing in the box and the character limit will appear...I think. I remember having to do some major cuts in my responses because I typed them out in Word and then pasted in the box. It may appear when you try to submit. If I remember right I think it was like 4-6k characters??

Waitlisted. Which is weird because I thought my interview went well.

Rejection email just now :( Why you no love me LMU?

Interview invite today! Completed towards the end of September

Just got the call from the dean - accepted! Interviewed Oct 14

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 9 users