1. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
Hey, Guest, do you know how much will it cost you to apply to medical school? Check out SDN's Medical School Application Cost Calculator and plan your budget.

linear motion Q

Discussion in 'MCAT Study Question Q&A' started by Addallat, Sep 26, 2014.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Addallat

Addallat 7+ Year Member

Jun 2, 2010
    A particle moving at 5 m/s reverses its direction in 1 s to move at 5 m/s in the opposite direction. If acceleration is constant, what distance does it travel?

A. 1.25 m
    B. 2.5 m
    C. 5 m
    D. 10 m

Answer is B. 2.5 m

I can solve this for displacement real easy using the following equation for uniform accelerated motion x=Vi(t)+1/2(a)(t^2) (answer would be zero), but I have no clue how to approach solving this for distance.

The best I could come up with:

Distance = Average Speed * time

initial speed is = 5 m/s

final speed is = 5 m/s

Time = 1/2 second? why???

Average speed = (initial speed+final speed)/2
    10/2 = 5 m/s

Distance = 5 m/s * 1/2 second = 2.5 meters
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    WHY ARE THEY TAKING TIME as = 1/2 SECOND, so confused as to why time would be 1/2 second

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Hadi7183

Hadi7183 2+ Year Member

Dec 8, 2013
    NWT
    The question is asking for distance not displacement. It can approached like a free falling object problem. At t=1/2, the object comes to full stop and changes its direction. All you need to do is find displacement at t=1/2 and multiply it by 2. This gives you the distance (2.5 m), but the displacement it zero.

4. popopopop

popopopop 5+ Year Member

Dec 18, 2011
    DFW/Houston
    The particle decelerates from 5 m/s to 0 in 1 second. It's final velocity is not 5 m/s, that's how I'm solving it.

Vf = 0 m/s and Vi = 5 m/s. My Vavg. = (5+0)/2 = 2.5 m/s.

v = d/t, 2.5=d/1 sec = 2.5 meters traveled.

5. Addallat

Addallat 7+ Year Member

Jun 2, 2010
    "
    The particle decelerates from 5 m/s to 0 in 1 second. It's final velocity is not 5 m/s, that's how I'm solving it.

Vf = 0 m/s and Vi = 5 m/s. My Vavg. = (5+0)/2 = 2.5 m/s.

v = d/t, 2.5=d/1 sec = 2.5 meters traveled.
    "

oh man makes so much sense thank you!