Linkedin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jsmith1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys just wondering how many of you use linkedin? Is it actually beneficial for pre-med students? Also would it be appropriate for me to add a physician I shadowed as a connection on linkedin?

Members don't see this ad.

Considering adcoms/interviewers often google the names of their applicants (especially if they have uncommon first and/or last names) I would rather have them see a LinkedIn page that can be controlled over something random about you.

As far as its utility I doubt it gives much at this stage. It's geared more towards free lancers and tech types. If you land a clinical research gig or anything I doubt it would be due to LinkedIn.

Hey guys just wondering how many of you use linkedin? Is it actually beneficial for pre-med students? Also would it be appropriate for me to add a physician I shadowed as a connection on linkedin?

I use it.

I'm not sure how beneficial it is unless you are looking for a job after you graduate as most employers these days, at least large ones, have it built into their hiring system. It is however one more site for AdComs to find if they google you and will likely be in the top 5 hits on google. If they do find it, I would recommend it line up with AMCAS 100% and is professional.

I would not asked a physician I shadowed to be a connection on linkedin, but thats just me maybe.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep I use it but only for engineering internship opportunities

Are you really majoring in EE at UIUC? A bunch of my friends are actually doing that but none of them are premed. EE at UIUC and premed...that's pretty impressive.

Are you really majoring in EE at UIUC? A bunch of my friends are actually doing that but none of them are premed. EE at UIUC and premed...that's pretty impressive.

Yep that's the plan. If I wasn't at a school like UIUC I don't think I'd be doing EE but the program here is absolutely top notch so I figured why not? I've always been intrigued with electrical engineering but of course my main goal is to become a physician.

I think I've finally managed to combine EE knowledge with research involving medicine too which I'm pretty excited about! (Starting the research next semester :))