Lionel Raymon vs. Seastone biochem

Discussion in 'Step I' started by rs76, Jan 6, 2009.

1. rs76

rs76 Member
    7+ Year Member

Hello,

Which do you guys prefer? The old biochem lectures by lionel raymond(frenchie) or the neww ones by David seastone. I wathced the pahrm by lionel raymond and liked them alot and downloaded the old biochem lectures. Now, I am confused if I should just stick woht the new ones as the old lectures are form 2001. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Good Luck!

2. Neo2011

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i preferred dr. raymond for both biochem and pharm. I think he is amazing.

3. bkpa2med

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Dr Seastone actually teaches us and he is amazing. I don't know anything about Lionel Raymond.

4. Ledo

7+ Year Member

Both are cool ..It depends on the way you like this revision to be..If you want it quicker,use dr.Seastone's vedios ..If you like some more details,use dr.Raymon's vedios .
    You can try them both yourself and make your choice based on your own opinion..That's what I did actually.

5. AbcJuly

AbcJuly Crimping For Life
    7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I like Dr. Raymon a lot better because he reviews Pharm, Physio, and Biochem all together. It is a much more integrative approach.

6. wreckmle

Medical Student
    I have had the pleasure of taking a live kaplan course with Dr. Raymon for Biochem and Path. He was AWESOME!! I have also listened to some of the lectures Dr. Seastone did on videos, but he obviously doesn't bring the same integrative ability that Dr. R brings to the table.

Well, for video lectures, Dr. Raymon suggested that if I was having trouble with the material from the live lecture, to go and watch the Seastone videos because he felt there is lot of new information in Biochemistry that his old videos do not cover. If u have enough time, watch both sets. Otherwise, go with Seastone's new biochem videos.

Btw, I have watched some of Dr. Raymon's Pharm videos as well. They were awesome. One last thing, I have not cleared my Step 1 exam yet, so please take my statements with a grain of salt. Good luck!

7. ___Doctor786___

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Where did you take the live course that Dr. Raymon taught Path?

8. glsknl

2+ Year Member

Medical Student

Dr. Raymon is a Pharm D. How come he is teaching path? You meant pharm, maybe?

9. wreckmle

Medical Student
    I took that course at the North Miami Kaplan center off of North Biscayne Blvd. Even though his official training was originally in Pharmacology and Toxicology in France, over the years he has become quite the expert in the other subjects as well. In fact, his dream is to become a one man Step 1 show. He said he is not quite comfortable teaching Behavioral Science but feels he is very capable of teaching most of the other subjects and most of us agreed.

Unfortunately, we weren't lucky enough to have him teach us Pharm, because he was already scheduled by Kaplan to teach somewhere else during those days we were to learn our pharm. Instead we had Dr. Victor Nora, an elderly Pharm professor from Rush University. The whole class was definitely disappointed after hearing his rockin' Biochem lectures and the many references he made to various drugs and their MOAs, that he won't be able to do Pharm for us. But he tried to comfort us by saying he learned some tips on how to be a good pharm teacher by observing Dr. Nora almost 10yrs ago. In the end it was fine, because he still pointed out the main management strategies and drugs of choice for various Dzs when he was doing the Path part of the course. Another important note he made to us was that if one knows their Path and Pharm really well, one will have a strong command of their Internal Medicine material for Step 2ck and beyond.

Most of the students loved his style of teaching as well as his wit. The fact he could teach across some of these core basic science classes and help us make the connections in the other disciplines gave us this sense of calmness while we were sitting there (isn't that usually the case.. it all makes sense in lecture and then self doubt starts to permeate in their absence). He was very good at helping visualize the big picture. Anyway, this is starting to sound like I am his personal PR rep.. hope that helps!

If you all have doubts, you can definitely call the 800 Kaplan number and they will give you the lowdown on Raymon. Of course, what they say might actually sound more like a sales pitch. Btw, some of the other Kaplan professors also teach more than one topic including Dr. Conrad Fischer (some Physio and mainly Internal Medicine ) and Dr. Wazir Kudrath (mainly Physio, but has done Pharm and some Epidemiology on several occasions based on what have other have told me-- eventhoug his Physio is on point on the videos and live lectures, I heard his pharm actually sux).

Well, that's my more than 2cents on this topic. In Dr. Raymon's words.. "Bonne Chance!!"

10. trp2006

trp2006 Member
    5+ Year Member

Is there a way to find out in which course he teaches Path and Biochem? Who were your other professors and how was their teaching? After going through Path with Dr. Raymon, did you feel you knew the material well?

11. Pollux

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I didn't have time to watch Kaplan videos when I prepped for step 1, and only listened to the Kaplan webprep audios (Biochem) taught by Dr. Raymon. I second all the posts above in that Dr. Raymon is amazing; I didn't know anyone who could integrate path, biochem, and pharm as well as him. Biochem was not one of my favorite subjects to start with, but after finishing Kaplan notes, webprep, and FA, I actually felt very comfortable with the material. Biochem ended up being one of my highest performance areas in my score report for step 1, only after Path, Phys, and Pharm (3Ps, haha).

12. engineeredout

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Does anyone know where to get the Raymon biochem videos? Our school gave us the new videos but they don't have Raymon. He is a god for pharm and I'd love to watch biochem by him.

13. justdoit31

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm also looking for the Raymon videos. Any help in finding then would be greatly appreciated.

14. kaleerkalut

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    How can I view Dr. Seastone's videos to compare them? Is he in the 2010-2011 video lectures?

I have the Kaplan 2009-2010 Step 1 videos on my computer and Raymond is the teacher for biochem. Was he still teaching Biochem at this point or was this just taken from older years and put into the 2010 file that I downloaded?

15. bbydoc

Medical Student
    seastone teaches in the 2007 videos as well as in the 2010.
    2007 biochem: Seastone and Turco
    2010 biochem: Seastone, Raymon, Turco

16. ej37

7+ Year Member

thanks for the link. It does work, although the quality of the videos is so low you can't really see anythign on the screen. The audio is good though...

17. RySerr21

RySerr21 i aint kinda hot Im sauna
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]

if you have the kaplan books, it doesnt matter. You can always tell what the picture is that he is looking at, he just follows the chapters as they go. Because they are old videos, some of the pictures have been taken out. Just skip over those parts.

Also, the metabolism videos are way more useful than the mo bio videos. Mo bio doesnt really have much clinical relevance, so he doesnt really integrate anything. But the metabolism stuff is really good.

18. justdoit31

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    These are awesome- is there a way to save them from the link to my pc? When I click on it the video plays but I would like to watch them several times if possible.

19. Day man

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    well downloading is illegal so don't do that:rolleyes:. morals/ethics aside...i don't really see that big of a difference, but i didn't watch all of the 2003 set. i just know rainman teaches general metabolism in the 2010 series, and is one of the best pharm lecturers I've encountered. honestly, he puts a ton of physio/biochem just into pharm lectures...i think that alone helped me.

20. MossPoh

MossPoh Textures intrigue me
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I started out hating Raymond with the qbank explanations, but I've grown to really really like his stuff. He explains stuff very well and always includes just a little extra. He also seems to teach the concept more than explain the answers, if that makes sense.

21. ArcGurren

ArcGurren only one will survive
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I LOVE Raymon's pharm and path explanations. He helped me understand how the heck antiarrythmics work (something which for some reason is never really taught or explained well).

22. GoSpursGo

GoSpursGo Allons-y!
    Administrator Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    This is a reminder that it is ILLEGAL to post copywritten materials and asking for, posting, or explaining how to obtain such materials illegally will not be tolerated.

#22 GoSpursGo, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  23. MeatTornado

MeatTornado On Sabbatical
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Lionel Raymond is my hero :love: