Lipids (Steroids, Terpenes)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

capostat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I bypassed the 4 pages in TBR Orgo, discussing Terpenes. Now I've realized that it's the only part of the books that discusses lipids. Does that make it much more important?

Have their been MCAT questions on terpenes?

Members don't see this ad.

the thing is, it's basically all structures, and there's nothing really specific on how to synthesize them of anything. anything I can dodge taking notes on, i try to.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm taking the MCAT on Friday and I have no idea what a terpene is.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only reason I have heard of terpenes is because in one of our ochem labs we isolated lycopene. I doubt you need to know anything about them for the mcat. For there to be a question I bet it would also talk about them in the passage.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm taking the MCAT on Friday and I have no idea what a terpene is.

i hope you wont have to know what it is either. steroids, being more common--i would think... but I think I'm gonna go with EK on this.

i hope you wont have to know what it is either. steroids, being more common--i would think... but I think I'm gonna go with EK on this.

Yeah, don't worry about it. If I remember correctly, they say something about it including vitamin A? It'll be explained in a passage, if anything.

I love EK audio osmosis. I loved that lecture (I think it was the first one)-"...fatty acids, triglycerols, phospholipids, glycolipids, steroids, and terpenes!"

Terpenes are just organic molecules that are made up of multiple 5-carbon conjugated diene molecules, where the 5th carbon is a methyl substituent somewhere on the molecule. The only thing you really need to know is that they're the building blocks of steroids...

I bypassed the 4 pages in TBR Orgo, discussing Terpenes. Now I've realized that it's the only part of the books that discusses lipids. Does that make it much more important?

Have their been MCAT questions on terpenes?
Yea, you ought to know that. Anything on the list of MCAT topics is fair game, and terpenes are explicitly mentioned. I think all you really need to know is their unit structure really.

That said, there isn't much organic chem on the MCAT at all. I'd suggest understanding the lab techniques thoroughly though since that seems to be emphasized (purification, mass spec, NMR, etc).

They're molecules with the base structure made of isoprene (2-methyl-1,3-butadiene) subunits (without the unsaturation).

Yea, you ought to know that. Anything on the list of MCAT topics is fair game, and terpenes are explicitly mentioned. I think all you really need to know is their unit structure really.

That said, there isn't much organic chem on the MCAT at all. I'd suggest understanding the lab techniques thoroughly though since that seems to be emphasized (purification, mass spec, NMR, etc).

lab techniques--got it.

and i'll take note of that base structure...