Lippincott Microbiology Review?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cryogos

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know alot of people use the MMRS book, but I was curious if anyone has used the Lippincott Micro Review? I'm looking to pick up a good micro book that's primarily geared to Step 1 review, but that's also useful for lecture. If anyone has any opinions/ideas, I'd love to hear them!

Members don't see this ad.

Micro is one subject where there seems to be number of well-written texts, so choosing one is mostly a matter of preference. Although many people like MMRS, personally, I can't get into it - just a little too slapstick for me.

The book I am using for class and boards is Problem-Based Microbiology. Mostly b/c it's by one of my professors and I like the case-based, clinical approach. Also lots of nice color photos.

RR Micro is good for an outline format - the "trigger words" and summary tables in the back are good for cramming.

Lange Micro and Immuno is also very good, esp. the immuno section. It's more of your standard textbook-type read.

Kaplan notes are good.

I haven't heard too much about Lippincott, but their pharm and biochem books are held in high regard, so I would expect the micro to be well done also.

I agree with DragonWeil. I haven't take Step 1 yet. I used Lippincott's Micro during class and didn't like it too much. It's a good book (especially the images) but I wouldn't recommend it for Step 1, because it doesn't make emphasis in what looks like it is High Yield (what says in FA). As DragonWeil said, RR, CMMRS or Levinson are best options. (I prefer RR, even though I already used CMMRS for the mnemonics)

Hope this comment helped.
------------------------------------------
"The best runner is the one that ignores being in a race"

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone have any idea what is new about the fourth edition of CMMRS versus the third edition? It's apparently about 100 pages longer, and I'm wondering what all of the extra stuff is. Surely there couldn't be that many new bugs discovered since 2004! I'm pretty much already decided on buying the new edition regardless, but I'd still appreciate it if someone could tell me what is different.

Also, if anyone else is wondering about LIR Microbiology, I think it's a great supplement. The pictures are fantastic like all of the LIR series. If you like the biochem and pharm books, you'll like the micro book too. I agree it's probably not suitable to use as a board review book, but it was helpful to use during class.

does anyone have any idea what is new about the fourth edition of CMMRS versus the third edition? It's apparently about 100 pages longer, and I'm wondering what all of the extra stuff is. Surely there couldn't be that many new bugs discovered since 2004! I'm pretty much already decided on buying the new edition regardless, but I'd still appreciate it if someone could tell me what is different.

Also, if anyone else is wondering about LIR Microbiology, I think it's a great supplement. The pictures are fantastic like all of the LIR series. If you like the biochem and pharm books, you'll like the micro book too. I agree it's probably not suitable to use as a board review book, but it was helpful to use during class.

they've reworded some things. they've updated organisms that were reclassified, they've changed chlamydia to 2 genera instead of just 1 genus, etc.

i haven't gone through the whole thing yet, but it's nice that's it's a little more up-to-date.

My question is: is MMRS a good book for boards review? I know some people use it, but does it contain the info you need? I love reading it because it's much easier to retain the info how they present it.

they've reworded some things. they've updated organisms that were reclassified, they've changed chlamydia to 2 genera instead of just 1 genus, etc.

i haven't gone through the whole thing yet, but it's nice that's it's a little more up-to-date.

My question is: is MMRS a good book for boards review? I know some people use it, but does it contain the info you need? I love reading it because it's much easier to retain the info how they present it.
Thanks. I'm going to go ahead and order a new one.

Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question; I haven't started my boards review yet. I used the third edition during my micro class along with the LIR book and our class text. I agree that the mnemonics are really helpful for retention. That being said, I feel like I need more work in micro to learn it in the first place before I start my boards review. (It's hard to review things you never really learned in the first place, and I feel like all I know right now is Staph and Strep. :p ) So my plan is to get the fourth edition and read it for now, and then I will probably use something else to study micro for boards when the time comes, maybe along with CMMRS.

Resources I liked for Micro:
CMMRS (I had the third edition, if they've added anything to the text it might be worth it, but I thought the third edition was just fine)
MicroCards - these were invaluable. Make sure you get the right ones - with the vignette on the front. Here is an updated version of what I had.