Lipscomb University Class of 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmdx92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did a quick search for Lipscomb University College of Pharmacy c/ 2018 and nothing popped up. I was invited to interview at the end of the month and was hoping to see other fellow SDN members there as well.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a student at Lipscomb. If I had to go back and do it over again I won't go here. Everyone here is so fake. They act like they care about you, but they really don't. They only care about your money. It doesn't matter what grades you make or what you do if you learn how to suck up and take their crap you should be fine. Professors here have favorites. And that's basically the person who agrees with everything they say and has no opinion of their own. Summer internships are decided on this: not who is most qualified but if the right professor likes you or not. Just some advice go to a school that has been around awhile. These new schools only started pharmacy schools because of the money not because they care about pharmacy education or students. Besides, if you go to a school that has been around awhile, they mostly likely have better connections and it's a better job outlook for you.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a student at Lipscomb. If I had to go back and do it over again I won't go here. Everyone here is so fake. They act like they care about you, but they really don't. They only care about your money. It doesn't matter what grades you make or what you do if you learn how to suck up and take their crap you should be fine. Professors here have favorites. And that's basically the person who agrees with everything they say and has no opinion of their own. Summer internships are decided on this: not who is most qualified but if the right professor likes you or not. Just some advice go to a school that has been around awhile. These new schools only started pharmacy schools because of the money not because they care about pharmacy education or students. Besides, if you go to a school that has been around awhile, they mostly likely have better connections and it's a better job outlook for you.

I appreciate your advice and it is unfortunate as to how you perceive your circumstances. It is definitely nice to hear both the good and the bad about each and every school, but I must point out that you are the first post I have read that puts Lipscomb in a negative light. However, it would be unfair of me to judge this school or any other school before even stepping onto their campus. Thank you for the insight though.

By the way, I have read your other posts and you definitely do not appear to be fond of the pharmacy career whatsoever. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=1021858

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm very fond of it. I just don't like seeing what's happening to it.

Btw the 1st thing I said in that thread was I was not being negative. Just do your own research. I stopped posting because people think I'm being negative when I'm not. I don't blame them sometimes I mistakenly give out that vibe when I'm upset about something. And to add on we had a 5% tuition increase this year. 5% might not sound like a lot of money but its already expensive becasuse its a private school, and our tuition already went up the previous year too and will go up again next year but no one is telling us how much yet. To add on to what you are saying that I'm the first post... I don't think anyone else in my class but only a couple of people have SDN. Make sure you take that into consideration. Most posts I have seen were from people who have already graduated. Which would make sense why they thought it was a good school at the time. AND I'M NOT SAYING EVERYONE THAT GOES HERE THINKS THE SAME WAY I DO. The majority of people in my class are not happy tho. Just letting you know.

I didn't post in this thread you should read it. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=1002500
Also, http://www.marketplace.org/topics/life/overdose-pharmacy-students and http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3687123/ ( this one was written by American Association of Colleges of pharmacy) it states good and bad reasons. http://www.pharmacytimes.com/publications/issue/2010/June2010/PharmacyJobTrends-0610 by pharmacytimes. I was just trying to state in my thread for students going in to be well educated about what's going on and not believe everything they hear.

It is always good to know the current status of a potential school because it will definitely come into play on decision day. It is also good to voice your own opinions, but I do not think it is fair to the current students of Lipscomb that you make a bold statement and claim that the majority of your classmates are unhappy. As a pharmacy student, which you are, it is expected that you maintain a certain level of professionalism even when it comes to forums on a website. Again, thank you for taking your time to explain and elaborate on your personal experiences at Lipscomb. If you need to explain why pharmacy is a dwindling career then this is neither the appropriate thread or section for you to do that. I created this thread so that the many potential students applying to Lipscomb may be able to communicate with one another and not as a means for you to rant. I would like to add that it is never too late for a career change if you do not like where your life is heading.

I never said I don't like where I'm heading. Stating facts from what other PROFESSIONALS have wrote should not imply that. If I could change anything it would be school not profession.

You should read my posts before telling me its not too late to change. Like I said before in this thread I'm fond of my profession I just don't like seeing whats happening to it. Btw I'm a P4

Interviewing at Lipscomb Sep. 26. Anyone know any of their past interview questions?

Interviewing at Lipscomb Sep. 26. Anyone know any of their past interview questions?

I will see you there on the 26th. Are you flying in or driving? The questions are very basic from what I heard like why pharmacy and why Lipscomb.

Ok thanks. I'm driving. I'm only an hour and a half from Nashville at WKU.

Hey I'm a student at Lipscomb. If you are interviewing the 26th, you might have a student in your interview since we will be done with block exams. You will usually have 2-3 people interviewing you: a professor, maybe a preceptor with Lipscomb and a student. They ask the usually questions like why pharmacy why Lipscomb and of course tell us about yourself etc etc. The interview process is more like a conversation. They know you are probably nervous so they try to be nice about the whole thing. Just have to comment on the pervious posts( can't help myself, sorry) yea tuition did increase by 5% :( of course its not exciting and the scary part is how much it will be next few years. It does go up every year which is scary thinking about how much debt I'll be in when I graduate. Anyways totally off subject if you have anymore questions just ask!

Members don't see this ad :)
Holy god I Hiroshima level bombed my interview. Not the interviewers fault at all they were great, I completely blacked out. Never figured myself for the nervous type....

Congratulations for getting in. I submitted my PharmCAS application on 9/19/13 and submitted my supplemental application on 9/29/13. I didn't do early admission, is that what you did? And I think that regular admission interviews start in November, so I was wondering if anyone knew the validity of that.

I didn't apply early admission but I did have an interview on the early admission interview date. I submitted both my applications in late July.

Well it's good to know they're quick to reply to all of their applicants. How long did it take for you to hear back from them regarding your invitation for an interview?

Well it's good to know they're quick to reply to all of their applicants. How long did it take for you to hear back from them regarding your invitation for an interview?

Yeah they are pretty prompt in getting information to you. I got an interview invite in early September and interviewed Sep. 27. Got my acceptance letter today, so 6 days after interviewing.

Well then I'll just keep my fingers crossed. I got an email last Friday saying to turn in my supplemental application and within the next day it was sent along with the fee. I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed. Also, did they contact you by phone call, email, or letter?

Well then I'll just keep my fingers crossed. I got an email last Friday saying to turn in my supplemental application and within the next day it was sent along with the fee. I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed. Also, did they contact you by phone call, email, or letter?

Email for interview and letter for acceptance.

Just curious but does anyone know what day the interviews are in October? And if so has anyone gotten their invitation yet?

Does anyone have any opinions on the pros/cons of Lipscomb in comparison with Belmont? I love the Nashville area and would love to relocate here. With that being said I'd still like to get the best education possible. Thoughts/experiences?

Does anyone have any opinions on the pros/cons of Lipscomb in comparison with Belmont? I love the Nashville area and would love to relocate here. With that being said I'd still like to get the best education possible. Thoughts/experiences?
We have some great professors at Lipscomb in terms of education that is and background. One of our professors was the director of the board of pharmacy and is still a board member. I think the education is great here and they are great about communicating things to you something which Belmont lacks from what I hear from friends at Belmont. Also, because I go to Lipscomb I'm a little biased and think the education is better but Belmont had a 100 percent first time pass rate on the NAPLEX for their 2013 graduates. Both schools are expensive(Lipscomb more so). If you like the TN area check out UT it's ranked 17 in the country, well established, great education no doubt, and best of all it's half the price of these private schools. UT will also let you do your last year and a half of rotations in Nashville. Goodluck! Have any more questions just ask!

Got an email yesterday that said that I was invited to an interview on the 31st. I am definitely attending and I hope to see more SDN members there!

Got an email yesterday that said that I was invited to an interview on the 31st. I am definitely attending and I hope to see more SDN members there!

That is great to hear! Make sure to interact with the faculty at every chance possible and just relax. The atmosphere will be mellow and family-like. Good luck!

I just received an invite to interview yesterday for Halloween, too. Ironically, I'm in Nashville this weekend for an interview with Belmont... I live in Florida and work and go to school full time. I definitely do not want to pass this up, but I'm not sure if I have the funds to make it happen again so soon. Additionally, my deposit for Mercer is due the 28th... I don't want to deposit until the last minute, because I'd rather live in Nashville, but I am well aware that an interview is no guarantee of acceptance and don't want to leave myself without a seat...

Sigh.

I guess these are good problems to have, right?

I just received an invite to interview yesterday for Halloween, too. Ironically, I'm in Nashville this weekend for an interview with Belmont... I live in Florida and work and go to school full time. I definitely do not want to pass this up, but I'm not sure if I have the funds to make it happen again so soon. Additionally, my deposit for Mercer is due the 28th... I don't want to deposit until the last minute, because I'd rather live in Nashville, but I am well aware that an interview is no guarantee of acceptance and don't want to leave myself without a seat...

Sigh.

I interviewed at Lipscomg couple weeks back and am also here for the Belmont interview tomorrow. I know you shouldn't judge a school by the aesthetics but I just drove to Belmont's campus and it is beautiful. Makes Lipscomb look like a high school.

PharmPhiend:

My best friend and her husband moved to Nashville in August following a spontaneous trip we took here, which ultimately landed her an adjunct teaching position at MTSU. You're right, Belmont is GORGEOUS. My best friend's husband is a Lipscomb (undergraduate) alumnus and absolutely loved his experience. My gut is telling me Lipscomb is a better fit for the "genuine family feel" I'm looking for, but I am afraid I'll become jaded by Belmont's aesthetics. I also don't want to "unfairly" prejudge either school. My fiancé, best friend and her husband will be joining me for the "family" part of tomorrow's interview. I'll be wearing a teal undershirt and pencil skirt. Come find me! My name is Brittany :)

(Look for the group with a really built man (white), a tall goofy guy (white), a cute Colombian girl, and a really pale borderline red head (that's me! lol)

PharmPhiend:

My best friend and her husband moved to Nashville in August following a spontaneous trip we took here, which ultimately landed her an adjunct teaching position at MTSU. You're right, Belmont is GORGEOUS. My best friend's husband is a Lipscomb (undergraduate) alumnus and absolutely loved his experience. My gut is telling me Lipscomb is a better fit for the "genuine family feel" I'm looking for, but I am afraid I'll become jaded by Belmont's aesthetics. I also don't want to "unfairly" prejudge either school. My fiancé, best friend and her husband will be joining me for the "family" part of tomorrow's interview. I'll be wearing a teal undershirt and pencil skirt. Come find me! My name is Brittany :)

(Look for the group with a really built man (white), a tall goofy guy (white), a cute Colombian girl, and a really pale borderline red head (that's me! lol)

Ok will do. My name is Zach.

Sigh.

Well if you do end up going to Lipscomb's interview let me know. I'm from Pittsburgh and I applied to three schools and this is first one to reply back, so I'm definitely going. I haven't send my conformation email because idk if I'm bringing a parent along and driving or flyin in the night before yet.

Had the interview at Lipscomb on Oct. 31st, it was great. I love everything about the school. The interview itself was with two professors, it was very laid back. As the professor was walking me back, she told me my interview went really well and that they want to see your personality in the interview. This is exciting and I should have my letter tomorrow, I hope I get in. On a side note, I've been accepted to South College class of 2017, but I'd prefer Lipscomb over it, so I am holding off on paying the deposit until I find out.

Had the interview at Lipscomb on Oct. 31st, it was great. I love everything about the school. The interview itself was with two professors, it was very laid back. As the professor was walking me back, she told me my interview went really well and that they want to see your personality in the interview. This is exciting and I should have my letter tomorrow, I hope I get in. On a side note, I've been accepted to South College class of 2017, but I'd prefer Lipscomb over it, so I am holding off on paying the deposit until I find out.

I was there also on Oct. 31st, and like you, I love everything about the university. I had my interview with a professor and an assistant professor. I thought the interview went very well, and hopefully I get in because I know that if i do get accepted, I will definitely be attending. Everyone there was really nice, both staff and students made the effort to get to know you, and not to mention that the campus itself was extremely beautiful. I think there was 11 applicants there for an interview, including myself. Were you in group A or B?

Withdrew my seat for the Class of 2018. Hope someone else gets it soon!

Hi everyone,

I just finished my supplemental application for Lipscomb( today: SAT-12/21/2013) I know I am late. Because I did not noticed that the school goes by rolling system. I thought I still have time until the deadline, which is MARCH. ( I was stupid!!!!). I will take PCAT in the next two weeks, Jan, 7th.

Do you think the school still consider me? ==

Hello everyone.
I have my interview this Thursday and all i know is that it's going to be 2:1 interview and lunch will be provided. And I was wondering if you guys can give me a general outline of the interview day..such as do we need to do a writing sample on the day of the interview..? Any help will be greatly appreciated =) Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Hello everyone.
I have my interview this Thursday and all i know is that it's going to be 2:1 interview and lunch will be provided. And I was wondering if you guys can give me a general outline of the interview day..such as do we need to do a writing sample on the day of the interview..? Any help will be greatly appreciated =) Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Hey 8324, I had me interview last month and the whole process was actually very relaxed. There are 5 main things during the interview day: the tour, interview, group activity/challenge, student panel, and lunch. There are no writing samples thankfully, but one thing to remember is to interact with faculty and pharmacy students that will be there. Out of all the interviews I've had, this one was the most relaxed and I felt that the faculty there genuinely cared about me.

Hey everyone I'm a current P1 here at lipscomb. If you guys have any questions about classes, living arrangements, rent, the school or anything at all feel free to let me know and I'll do my best to give you a hand. To those that got accepted, you'll most likely see my popping into your class between breaks from time to time to say hi.

Do
Hey everyone I'm a current P1 here at lipscomb. If you guys have any questions about classes, living arrangements, rent, the school or anything at all feel free to let me know and I'll do my best to give you a hand. To those that got accepted, you'll most likely see my popping into your class between breaks from time to time to say hi.

I will have an interview in April. Should I rent a car to drive from SRQ to the school or should I take the taxi? I heard bad reviews for the taxi service. Please give me some advice.

A taxi will be about $15-$20 each way I think. I personally rented a car when I came up so I'm not entirely sure.

Hey jmunoz87,
I am going to attend in the Fall and was wondering what apartments near campus are popular among the pharmacy students? Is living on an on-campus dorm an option? And also, how are you paying for tuition/everything? Loans?
Thank you very much

A very popular place is royal arms because it's super close to school (a mile or two) and not expensive. The place is not top of the line or super flashy but if you're like me and study out of your house, you are barely home anyways. I'm actually looking into moving there in the fall and may post up on your class of 2018 facebook to see if anyone wants to room with me.

Lipscomb is in an expensive area so rent tends to be quite high in the vicinity. I'm staying at a place called twin oaks apartments. The rooms are huge and so are the closets. Its about a 12 minute drive in the mornings. I'm in a 2 bedroom hank floor-plan apartment right now.

Gazebo is also popular and cheaper (happens to be right next to twin oaks).

I have some friends staying at The Lexington which has a good price but is further away (like 30 minutes). This could translate to about a 45 minute commute in the morning and they leave early to avoid the traffic, but it's still a nice place with good amenities and gym.

There's some classmates living in the west end area which is nicer but I consider it a bit pricey.

You can also look into craigslist. I have 3 friends sharing a 3 bed 2 bath house that is two blocks from school for $500 each.

I maxed out my loans the first year to help pay for my moving expenses and furniture, etc. You don't have to max them out and if at any point you are running low on money you can see the financial aid rep (Deidra Cummings) and you will get more money in about a week or two. Loans take about a week or so to disperse after the semester begins. They usually say to allow a larger window of time (I forgot the length at the moment), but pharmacy students get priority. This means we get our disbursements pretty quickly. Obviously, if you max out your loans and run out of money, there is no way to get more until the next semester so make sure you budget well. I pay quite a few bills and still manage to enjoy myself. I know others that take out really small loan amounts because they don't want to be in too much debt and eat less expensive meals and don't go out much. It's all up to your personal preference.

To answer the other question, I love Lispcomb. What sold me on the school was the family environment and the feeling that they actually cared about my future. I'm from Miami and the Florida schools I had interviews with didn't really treat me that well. I actually got accepted in a school 30 minutes from my house and chose to move up here. Professors actually care and will walk up to you to see if you need help with homework. You are assigned a faculty mentor that follows up with you after blocks and that you meet with periodically. The mission trips options are always a plus. The professors are always accessible and have open door policies. A friend had difficulty understanding a concept and the professor spent almost an hour with a white paper board explaining the concept and gave them pages so they could take home after.

I hope I didn't write too much because I can go on and on. Hope this helps a bit. I'll most likely see you all in orientation and/or the first day of class. Let me know if you need help with anything further. My name is Javier.

Thanks Javier. Your information has been very helpful to me
Also, when does summer start after your spring semester? Do you have to take summer classes or do you have to stay over at Lipscomb?

Thanks Javier. Your information has been very helpful to me
Also, when does summer start after your spring semester? Do you have to take summer classes or do you have to stay over at Lipscomb?

Glad I could help. Finals are on the first week of May and end on May 8. I'll be staying here in nashville for work. Some people have jobs back home, others get internships and stay here, and others just go home and relax until the next semester. You're not forced to stay and there's no summer classes. Summer classes are only if you fail a class to remediate. The school also has summer internships for research.

The anticipation is literally making my chest heavy :-(

Hey Javier,
If you don't mind, can I have your contact information?
Thank you