MD List Advice? 3.79s, 3.80c, 33 (12p/11v/10b), nontraditional, reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pythagoraslock

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings,

I'd love to hear from someone who doesn't know me how I look on paper! I was a Latin teacher for five years before I realized I wanted to work in healthcare. Enlisted as a reservist Army medic, then quickly figured out I wanted to go all the way for my MD. Applied to only 3 last year and got rejected by all. I'd like to think it was just lateness. I didn't take MCATs until late July, and one of my professors didn't turn in her letter until late September. I felt like I was a strong applicant otherwise. Reapplying now, working on my secondaries, and wondering if anyone would like to make suggestions about cutting or adding to my list.
  • sGPA 3.79, mostly as postbaccalaureate at local community college (that's all I could afford), AS in biology
  • cGPA 3.80, primarily at non-notable private liberal arts college, BA in classical studies
  • 33 MCAT: 10 biological, 11 verbal, 12 physical
  • Volunteering: 200+ hours at an inpatient PT clinic for Wounded Warriors
  • Clinical: reservist Army medic since 2010; ~1200 hours as full-time technician in ER + peds + triage + trauma
  • EC: Accomplished martial artist (BJJ) since 2008, won several regional championships, trained others some.
Letters of Recommendation:
  1. civilian clinical: veteran ER nurse I've worked under for almost a year.
  2. military clinical: sergeant of my medical platoon for ~2 years.
  3. physician: informal mentor & physician I shadowed
  4. physics professor: liked me enough to ask me to tutor other students informally
  5. biology professor: favorite professor, had longest contact with her (~2 years)
Current List:
  • USUHS (main)
  • University of MD (local, plus I'm interested in ID and hear they have a good program)
  • Georgetown
  • Thomas Jefferson University
  • Yale (got convinced that everyone should have a stretch, but starting to worry this is way out of my league)
I feel like maybe I should add more? According to AAMC, my GPA and MCATs should have made for 77-87% acceptance rate, so that makes me feel like I shouldn't have to worry about padding my list. On the other hand, last year's rejection took away a lot of confidence...

An outside perspective would be very welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

You have a good app going for you, but imo your school list is much too thin. Applying is so hit or miss and sometimes seemingly random that 5 chances isn't really enough. I would personally up the school list a fair amount by using the MSAR to find schools that fit your stats (and their missions). Also personally I would cut out Georgetown since it has so many applicants.

You have strong credentials. Your only weakness is your application strategy- you are applying to too few schools. I am assuming you are applying to Maryland because you are a Maryland resident. Consider applying to more schools this week and submit the secondaries by August. Schools you could consider would be George Washington, Drexel, Temple, Commonwealth Medical College (PA), New York Medical College, Albany, Hofstra, Einstein, NYU, Tufts, BU, Quinnipiac, Virginia Commonwealth. If you are willing to consider the Midwest then look into Loyola, Rosalind Franklin, St. Louis, Creighton, Oakland Beaumont. If you apply to at least 15 schools you should receive some interviews. Quantity of applications does matter, since you do not know which school will find your application appealing and invite you for an interview. You already know from your experience last year that 3 schools is too few.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice, all! I've added most of those so far.

I checked out MSAR. It was well worth the $25.

Reactions: 1 user
Shadowing? Research? Any community service besides wounded warriors?

IIRC the acceptance rate is based on applying to an average of 15 schools. You should be applying to 10 realistic schools at a minimum.

With your current MCAT and ECs, Yale is not very realistic.

Visit the Military medicine forum before applying to USUHS if you haven't already.

Ok, I will definitely up the count until it's 10-15. Sounds like I should drop Yale, and maybe Georgetown as well.

I've done some reading on USUHS. Also spent a lot of time working connections there and working for them as a patient actor and patient finder. I've tried to get a good idea of what I'd be getting myself into.

I've done some shadowing with an oncologist. No research though; community college wasn't good for that. And no non-clinical volunteering. I've stuck with my wounded warrior clinic for 1.5 years now. Of the schools mentioned in this thread, are there any that I should avoid because of my lack of research experience?

All but USUHS. Start with @Faha's list and go from there.

@gyngyn, I think I miscommunicated, or I'm misreading. I meant to ask which schools on @Faha's list are most likely to pass me over for not having research experience. I see now where I can infer that from MSAR's stats.

Are you saying apply to everyone except USUHS?

@gyngyn, I think I miscommunicated, or I'm misreading. I meant to ask which schools on @Faha's list are most likely to pass me over for not having research experience. I see now where I can infer that from MSAR's stats.

Are you saying apply to everyone except USUHS?
On your original list Keep USUHS. Add the schools on @Faha's list that you like.

Thanks again for the advice, everyone! Sending out the last of my secondaries now. Essay perfectionist.

The list I settled on: Columbia, Drexel, GWU, Georgetown, Jefferson, Temple, Tufts, USUHS, U of MD, Virginia Commonwealth, Virginia Tech.

Already got a strong invite from USUHS. Hoping for many more!

Reactions: 1 user