List FUTURE Activities on AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neurofreak

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what do you guys think? is it a bad idea to list activities that one hasn't done yet, but plans to do in the upcoming months?

Members don't see this ad.

what do you guys think? is it a bad idea to list activities that one hasn't done yet, but plans to do in the upcoming months?

Make an argument for why it would be a good idea!

Meh, if you got nothing else from the present or the past to list, I guess. But don't expect them to be like "WOW! In 3 months he will cure cancer! Let's invite him for an interview!" And besides, considering that even your coursework can be changed, do you really think they'll take this seriously? Future activities are completely commitment-free, so why would they pay attention to them. I could write on there that on August 1st I will begin my new job as Superman, for all I know.

Members don't see this ad :)

This would be awesome. I'll go ahead and list that Nobel prize I'm winning in 2038. Or was it 2039?

You know, predictions are hard to make, especially about the future.

i guess what i meant is that to write something to show that you are doing something productive during time off before school. i have 2 slots left on my app and was wondering if this was necessary, or to leave that info completely to the secondary app.

i know a guy who put that he volunteered so many hours a week at a hosp, but he hadn't even put in 1 before he submitted his aamcas. the schools didn't ask him about it, but i wouldn't take that chance. plus, with the "date started" i don't see how you could justify it unless you put a disclaimer in the comments

This would be awesome. I'll go ahead and list that Nobel prize I'm winning in 2038. Or was it 2039?

You know, predictions are hard to make, especially about the future.

obviously no one would list something outrageous like that. i was referring to an activity that is already confirmed.

put it at your own risk, b/c i don't see adcoms getting excited about "to-do's" on your activities. and if you lie like my buddy and get caught, then you don't make it in med school period. and then you go to hell.

obviously no one would list something outrageous like that. i was referring to an activity that is already confirmed.

nope, even if u did something "not-so-special" for only a week, I wouldnt put it. It just looks shady. Think about it. Okay, what if i wrote this?

I volunteered at this hospital for a week. I will continue this work throughout this cycle. :laugh: not so smart, eh?

i guess what i meant is that to write something to show that you are doing something productive during time off before school.

that is why there is something called the UPDATE letter :rolleyes:

Only write it in if you're absolutely sure that your duties are what you say they will be and if you're absolutely sure that your activity won't fall through.

Luckily I chose to remove a short blurb in my PS about next year's job cuz it ends up that it fell through. If yours falls through and it's on your app, you really will--as methuselah suggested--be in bad shape.

Update letters are your friend, in this case.

This is not a good idea. You can always bring up current activities at the interview. Besides why would adcoms care about activities that you haven't done yet? This whole situation strikes me as very odd.

i see what everyone is saying. makes sense. thanks :D

This is not a good idea. You can always bring up current activities at the interview. Besides why would adcoms care about activities that you haven't done yet? This whole situation strikes me as very odd.
Agreed.

"Experiences" is defined by things you've already done. When they're in the future, they're known as "plans". No one is asking you your plans in your primary.