dancingdoctor13

7+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2010
Status
I apologize if this question has already been asked, but since I couldn't find it myself, I am going to post it here and I hope you can help me out! Can you all please tell me (list format) what the best DO school are to apply to (considering location, money (in state vs out of state), faculty, curriculum, rotations etc) compared with the worst schools (in your opinion, of course!) I will be pretty limited to the number of DO schools I can apply for and I want to make sure I look into the right schools :) Thx!

illegallysmooth

Smooth member
10+ Year Member
May 21, 2008
Buffalove
Status
Attending Physician
I apologize if this question has already been asked, but since I couldn't find it myself, I am going to post it here and I hope you can help me out! Can you all please tell me (list format) what the best DO school are to apply to (considering location, money (in state vs out of state), faculty, curriculum, rotations etc) compared with the worst schools (in your opinion, of course!) I will be pretty limited to the number of DO schools I can apply for and I want to make sure I look into the right schools :) Thx!
Seriously?

Do the work yourself.

The information you seek is all over the internet, and you're asking us to organize it for you. Beyond that, everyone has different opinions of what comprises a bad location, good location, etc.

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Don't apply to RVU. Everywhere else is fine, to decide which school are the best is a matter of opinion.

nascardoc

Daddy to 2 kiddos
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2006
Livonia, MI
Status
Resident [Any Field]
3....2....1....:corny:

dancingdoctor13

7+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2010
Status
just chill peeps....i was just asking for a matter of opinion not facts...yes i could do my research and will, but for people who have been there and done that, what's a little suggestion going to hurt. Calm down.

dapdrow

5+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2010
Status
I would read the thread about the pros/cons of each school. You're not going to find a list of where you should/should not apply.

MLT2MT2DO

10+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
just chill peeps....i was just asking for a matter of opinion not facts...yes i could do my research and will, but for people who have been there and done that, what's a little suggestion going to hurt. Calm down.
Ok, what are your biggest factors, in order? What is your preferred location, rural or urban? How are you paying for school? Do you have a SO? What about Family, do you want to be close or far and where are they? Do you have any restraining orders against you? Do you want open/do it yourself rotations or something more formal? Do you care about a for-profit school or how long the school has been around?

Since you don't want to do the work yourself, and everyone has differing tastes, start by answering these questions and I'll try to help from there.

gatewasani

10+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
personally,

I would apply to state schools. Schools that have high out of state acceptance. New Schools. Basically schools with average low admission standards who are friendly to out of state residents.

JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member
May 28, 2007
Status
Medical Student
List format? LOL. Jesus Christ ...

Use the search engine, stay on the forums for a while, and look at the FAQ. You'll figure it out. Asking for a ton of information and the way you'd like it organized is laughable.

digitlnoize

Rock God
10+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2007
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Come on guys, we can give a little help...sheesh...

I applied to mostly east coast DO schools, so you could go with the regional approach.

I'd put the LECOMs (especially Bradenton, but I'm a bit biased) very high on your list because they're good schools, and they're CHEAP, which is VERY VERY important.

PCOM is often regarded as "the best" DO school, if you're into pre-med style lists.

I know a lot of people who are very happy at VCOM (Virginia).

I've worked with some GREAT docs from NSU-COM (Ft. Lauderdale).

That's about it for my experience, so I'll let others pick it up from there. This HAS been asked before, so you might get more mean responses. It's just the SDN way. We're all busy and grumpy, it's not personal. Do a search for "best DO schools" and you'll probably get a ton of results.

Chocolate Bear

Moderizzle Fo'Shizzle!
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 7, 2008
The Only Place I Wanna Be
Status
OP, start by reading every page of the CIB in my signature. That'll give you an idea of the locations of all the schools and their main selling points. Then keep a list going of the locations and features that attract you to certain schools. Then visit the websites of those schools and find out more about them. Then do some more research on those schools and find out opinions from current students.

And check out the FAQs Sticky thread at the top of the Pre-Osteo forum, as suggested above.

Jun 25, 2009
Status
List format? LOL. Jesus Christ ...

Use the search engine, stay on the forums for a while, and look at the FAQ. You'll figure it out. Asking for a ton of information and the way you'd like it organized is laughable.
LOL

Jagger, it seems like you're suffering from SDN fatigue. I don't blame you. I amazed at some of the people here who want to be docs. I don't post nearly as often as you, but I hang around these forums enough to know how ridiculous some people's comments and questions are.

To the OP, do a few searches and create a list based on what you want.

Jun 25, 2009
Status
+pissed+

JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member
May 28, 2007
Status
Medical Student
LOL

Jagger, it seems like you're suffering from SDN fatigue. I don't blame you. I amazed at some of the people here who want to be docs. I don't post nearly as often as you, but I hang around these forums enough to know how ridiculous some people's comments and questions are.

To the OP, do a few searches and create a list based on what you want.
LOL I agree. I've become super jaded and I also go through SDN mood swings. Sometimes I'll read old explosions and not even understand why I was so pissed.

I think the thing that 'grinds my gears' is when people don't use the search function/read the faqs and then demand stuff/create the same old threads. The reason why is because a. all the info is out there and it's not difficult the find (the search function on this site is very good) and b. the whole thread then jumps on the OP (myself included) and it usually just turns into this weird defensive thing, helps no one, and can sometimes give the wrong impression of pre-DOs.

Oh well ...

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2004
Where I hang my hat.
Status
Attending Physician
Where to apply is an intensely personal decision. The question you posed is rather akin to asking "what size and brand of jeans should I buy (in list format please)". Intensely personal decision. Just like not every pair of jeans fits your body and certainly not every size fits your body, not every school fits your personality and needs.

You need to do some research on each school website, read the FAQs, the school discussion pages, the school overview pages, and figure out what is important to you and where to apply. In other words, go try on some jeans (aka research some schools and read some threads) and figure out what size you are (aka what's important to you and what appeals to you thus making your own list of schools) rather than asking a bunch of people who don't know you at all.

Happy reading.

Gabby

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Seriously?

Do the work yourself.

The information you seek is all over the internet, and you're asking us to organize it for you. Beyond that, everyone has different opinions of what comprises a bad location, good location, etc.
You know, it's not a requirement to post on SDN that you be bitchy. If you're sick of the question, don't click on the post. Simple as that.

Gabby

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2006
Status
Medical Student
and can sometimes give the wrong impression of pre-DOs.

Oh well ...
Trust me, based on yours and several others' posts, I doubt the impression I have of pre-DOs is wrong.

illegallysmooth

Smooth member
10+ Year Member
May 21, 2008
Buffalove
Status
Attending Physician
You know, it's not a requirement to post on SDN that you be bitchy. If you're sick of the question, don't click on the post. Simple as that.
It is my personal belief that sometimes people need to stop being coddled and shown when they are being idiotic.

Gabby

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2006
Status
Medical Student
It is my personal belief that sometimes people need to stop being coddled and shown when they are being idiotic.
I agree. You're being an idiot.

Lend a helping hand or ignore the thread. It really isn't that difficult. I'm so sick and tired of veterans on this forum getting all holier-than-thou about the search function to the point of being blatantly rude to other posters and calling them names. Believe me, it reflects more poorly on you than it does on them.

And by the way, if I was a moderator, I would have left the thread open in the Osteo forum just to spite you and your rude behavior for ordering it closed.

Grow up.

illegallysmooth

Smooth member
10+ Year Member
May 21, 2008
Buffalove
Status
Attending Physician
I agree. You're being an idiot.

Lend a helping hand or ignore the thread. It really isn't that difficult. I'm so sick and tired of veterans on this forum getting all holier-than-thou about the search function to the point of being blatantly rude to other posters and calling them names. Believe me, it reflects more poorly on you than it does on them.

And by the way, if I was a moderator, I would have left the thread open in the Osteo forum just to spite you and your rude behavior for ordering it closed.

Grow up.
If you're within your rights to call me an idiot, then I'm completely within mine to tell the OP "Seriously? Do the work yourself."

Glad we agree. Although I'd like to remind you that YOU resorted to name-calling, so maybe you should take your own advice on growing up.

Personally, I feel there is too much hand-holding here sometimes. Let the OP figure out where he wants to apply to on his own. If he's going to be a doctor, surely he can handle this task. I agree with those (like myself) who pointed out that everyone has different priorities and values in choosing a school. I don't agree with sitting down and figuring it out for him, i.e. "Since you don't want to do the work yourself, and everyone has differing tastes, start by answering these questions and I'll try to help from there." That's very nice and all, but I don't think it's helpful in the greater sense of the word. Are you going to write his PS for him? Are you going to figure out how to get to his interviews? Buy his suit? Or how about tell him which suits to try on, in list format of course?

I agree with JaggerPlate (nothing new there). Not only does the OP need to learn to start figuring this stuff out on his own using the resources that already exist but he needs to start developing the sense that would allow him to see how ridic the original question is. That's the thing that gets me.

FutureOrthoDoc

Drill,measure,tap,screw
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2005
Status
Pre-Medical
From what I understand, this is a "discussion" forum, and not a research site. People post on here for the sake of starting conversation and to gain information and inspiration. A physician is a leader, a teacher, and a voice of reason and intelligence. Show newcomers that this is a place that they can learn about a wonderful vocation and recieve comfort from someone who in this profession should be able to give naturally. I will be happy to pass on anything I already know or should happen to learn in my travels. :thumbup:

illegallysmooth

Smooth member
10+ Year Member
May 21, 2008
Buffalove
Status
Attending Physician
From what I understand, this is a "discussion" forum, and not a research site. People post on here for the sake of starting conversation and to gain information and inspiration. A physician is a leader, a teacher, and a voice of reason and intelligence. Show newcomers that this is a place that they can learn about a wonderful vocation and recieve comfort from someone who in this profession should be able to give naturally. I will be happy to pass on anything I already know or should happen to learn in my travels. :thumbup:
Sure. OK. Totally non-sarcastic. Honestly, you have a point. But this does remind me of a Scrubs quote from Dr. Cox - "I don't know if they taught you this in the land of fairies and puppy dog tails where you obviously, if not grew up, then at least spent most of your summers..."

FutureOrthoDoc

Drill,measure,tap,screw
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2005
Status
Pre-Medical
I realize my post sounds very goodie-two-shoes, however this is what I have learned from personal experience. I work closely with surgeons every day, and I have learned more from the doc's that were willing to take me under their wing and share valuable information with me, as opposed to others that just tell me to get bent. Doing your own reasearch is important, as you will need this skill to better serve your patients, but I think guidance to a small degree is important as well.

FutureCTDoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2009
Sunny South Florida
Status
Pre-Medical
It's impossible to say. It depends on state of residence, GPA and MCAT. If you say that people may be more helpful.

Gabby

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2006
Status
Medical Student
If you're within your rights to call me an idiot, then I'm completely within mine to tell the OP "Seriously? Do the work yourself."
You had it coming. The OP didn't. All he/she did was ask an innocent question. If you're sick of these questions, don't click on the thread. If you'd like to suggest that he/she use the search function, there's a civilized way to communicate that.

Glad we agree. Although I'd like to remind you that YOU resorted to name-calling, so maybe you should take your own advice on growing up.
Did you or did you not insinuate the OP was being "idiotic"? Did you or did you not appoint yourself the official "teller to those who are acting idiotic"? I was merely pointing out that you were being an idiot.

Personally, I feel there is too much hand-holding here sometimes. Let the OP figure out where he wants to apply to on his own. If he's going to be a doctor, surely he can handle this task.
And I think there's too much bitchiness. In case you've lost sight of the point of this forum, it's so that pre-meds can communicate and share information with one another. If you feel like there should be some "higher purpose," perhaps you belong in the sociopolitical forum. The OP was doing exactly what this forum was designed for and if you can't handle that, then I think you're the one who's out of his/her element.

I agree with those (like myself) who pointed out that everyone has different priorities and values in choosing a school. I don't agree with sitting down and figuring it out for him, i.e. "Since you don't want to do the work yourself, and everyone has differing tastes, start by answering these questions and I'll try to help from there." That's very nice and all, but I don't think it's helpful in the greater sense of the word. Are you going to write his PS for him? Are you going to figure out how to get to his interviews? Buy his suit? Or how about tell him which suits to try on, in list format of course?
You're right. We shouldn't answer anyone's questions on these forums. If someone asks, "hey, what are people's opinions on the pros and cons of PBL?" we should assume they also want us to take their senior year finals for them. If someone asks, "can someone tell me about the rotation sites out of KCUMB?" we should assume they'll next ask us to fill out the application for them. You know, if you're going into medicine, I suggest you stop acting like a know-it-all and quit looking down your nose at those less informed than you. I can promise you, someone higher up on the ladder will squash you for that kind of attitude really soon.

I agree with JaggerPlate (nothing new there).
Why doesn't that surprise me?

Gabby

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2006
Status
Medical Student
And you are the type of poster who renews my faith in SDN. Thank you for that considerate reply to the OP.

Gabby

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I realize my post sounds very goodie-two-shoes, however this is what I have learned from personal experience. I work closely with surgeons every day, and I have learned more from the doc's that were willing to take me under their wing and share valuable information with me, as opposed to others that just tell me to get bent. Doing your own reasearch is important, as you will need this skill to better serve your patients, but I think guidance to a small degree is important as well.
Your post only sounds goody-two-shoes to those who have a steel rod stuck up their spine. You were right on the money. When these preemies get into med school and, especially, third-year rotations, they'll be brought down a peg or two for "being idiotic."

illegallysmooth

Smooth member
10+ Year Member
May 21, 2008
Buffalove
Status
Attending Physician
You had it coming. The OP didn't. All he/she did was ask an innocent question. If you're sick of these questions, don't click on the thread. If you'd like to suggest that he/she use the search function, there's a civilized way to communicate that.

Did you or did you not insinuate the OP was being "idiotic"? Did you or did you not appoint yourself the official "teller to those who are acting idiotic"? I was merely pointing out that you were being an idiot.

And I think there's too much bitchiness. In case you've lost sight of the point of this forum, it's so that pre-meds can communicate and share information with one another. If you feel like there should be some "higher purpose," perhaps you belong in the sociopolitical forum. The OP was doing exactly what this forum was designed for and if you can't handle that, then I think you're the one who's out of his/her element.

You're right. We shouldn't answer anyone's questions on these forums. If someone asks, "hey, what are people's opinions on the pros and cons of PBL?" we should assume they also want us to take their senior year finals for them. If someone asks, "can someone tell me about the rotation sites out of KCUMB?" we should assume they'll next ask us to fill out the application for them. You know, if you're going into medicine, I suggest you stop acting like a know-it-all and quit looking down your nose at those less informed than you. I can promise you, someone higher up on the ladder will squash you for that kind of attitude really soon.

Why doesn't that surprise me?
1. I am not sick of questions like the OPs. They don't get asked that often because people usually people have more sense.
2. I said I don't see a problem with pointing out to people when they are being idiotic, and I said that to you. I did not call the OP an idiot and did not call you an idiot, for that matter. Nor did I call you bitchy :)
3. I never appointed myself anything. If you can give your opinion, so can I. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean I was out of bounds.
4. If you think my original reply was THAT bitchy, you should probably grow some stones.
5. If anyone asked any of those perfectly reasonable, specific questions I would be happy to help, and have offered sound advice to many fellow students.

Gabby

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2006
Status
Medical Student
1. I am not sick of questions like the OPs.
Then why bitch about it?

They don't get asked that often because people usually people have more sense.
Once again with the insults to the OP.

2. I said I don't see a problem with pointing out to people when they are being idiotic, and I said that to you. I did not call the OP an idiot and did not call you an idiot, for that matter. Nor did I call you bitchy :)
Actually, what you said was: "It is my personal belief that sometimes people need to stop being coddled and shown when they are being idiotic."

To anyone with a reading comprehension level above the 5th grade, that most certainly does insinuate that you're excusing your post to the OP by saying that that kind of thing is warranted when people are "being idiotic."

3. I never appointed myself anything. If you can give your opinion, so can I. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean I was out of bounds.
No, but it's my opinion that it's out of bounds.

4. If you think my original reply was THAT bitchy, you should probably grow some stones.
I wouldn't have said a word about your snippy reply, had it been a stand-alone incident. But it was your post on the Osteo forum that screamed of rudeness, especially the "could a mod delete?" As if you have any right to ask a moderator to delete someone else's post and in a forum that's not even for pre-meds, for that matter. The OP was asking MEDICAL STUDENTS for their opinion. Now I understand that it's against SDN rules to duplicate threads, but last I checked, no one named you hall monitor.

5. If anyone asked any of those perfectly reasonable, specific questions I would be happy to help, and have offered sound advice to many fellow students.
Personally, given your posts in this thread ("That's very nice and all, but I don't think it's helpful in the greater sense of the word. Are you going to write his PS for him? Are you going to figure out how to get to his interviews? Buy his suit? Or how about tell him which suits to try on, in list format of course?"), I find it impossible to believe that you'd be "happy to help."

illegallysmooth

Smooth member
10+ Year Member
May 21, 2008
Buffalove
Status
Attending Physician
Oh my God, give it a rest. Nobody cares about Gabby's rules for how to respond to a dumb question. Get off your high horse, put down the moral compass and give it a rest. For the record, if you had bothered to look at my other posts before characterizing me based on one request for the OP to do the work himself, you'd see that I often do help pre-meds with issues to which they've devoted an ounce of thought.

Or maybe you and Bannie could revolt and form a pre-med army of sunshine and marshmallows. Viva la revolucion!

JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member
May 28, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Gabby ... relax.

I don't know why you're freaking out so bad. Threads like this are seriously super, duper common on SDN:

noob asks a very common, very well covered question -> SDN responds: aww, silly noob ... FAQ + search function -> people say not to be mean -> noob says his/her feelings are hurt -> noob sticks around -> eventually, noob gets what they did was noobish, becomes a solid member, eventually makes fun of the NEW noobs when they ask if a DO can be a surgeon.

It's really not that big of a deal.

Gabby

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Oh my God, give it a rest. Nobody cares about Gabby's rules for how to respond to a dumb question. Get off your high horse, put down the moral compass and give it a rest. For the record, if you had bothered to look at my other posts before characterizing me based on one request for the OP to do the work himself, you'd see that I often do help pre-meds with issues to which they've devoted an ounce of thought.

Or maybe you and Bannie could revolt and form a pre-med army of sunshine and marshmallows. Viva la revolucion!
Obviously, you care or you wouldn't be waiting to reply to my posts. But honestly, I don't care all that much. I just think it's terribly sad when people like you try to make newbies feel bad for asking a question and thought it should be said, publicly.

Gabby

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Gabby ... relax.

I don't know why you're freaking out so bad. Threads like this are seriously super, duper common on SDN:

noob asks a very common, very well covered question -> SDN responds: aww, silly noob ... FAQ + search function -> people say not to be mean -> noob says his/her feelings are hurt -> noob sticks around -> eventually, noob gets what they did was noobish, becomes a solid member, eventually makes fun of the NEW noobs when they ask if a DO can be a surgeon.

It's really not that big of a deal.
So then why are you worried about the "wrong impression of pre-med DOs"? IMO, there most certainly is something wrong with posters claiming this place as their throne in hopes of embarrassing newbies for asking questions. Not everyone shows up on a forum and says "oh goody! A search function!" Sometimes they're excited to have found a forum of people who can help, sometimes they check out the forum and see all the posts and all the conversation and jump right in, without thinking of looking for the search function, and sometimes, the number of results in those search functions becomes overwhelming, especially when most of the responses are "use the search function."

That's the most ironic thing of all. You search for the topic you want and the first dozen replies in the thread that pops up is "use the search function."

And for the record, I searched and didn't find a post that adequately answered the question: "best DO school are to apply to (considering location, money (in state vs out of state), faculty, curriculum, rotations etc) compared with the worst schools (in your opinion, of course!)"

Most threads only talked about the "top" DO schools or the "cheapest" DO schools. I have yet to find many recent threads discussing curriculum or faculty relative to location, money, and rotations.

illegallysmooth

Smooth member
10+ Year Member
May 21, 2008
Buffalove
Status
Attending Physician
Most threads only talked about the "top" DO schools or the "cheapest" DO schools. I have yet to find many recent threads discussing curriculum or faculty relative to location, money, and rotations.
I don't mean to state the obvious here, but that's because most people don't expect anyone to give them a run-down of every facet of every DO school, in list format. On the school-specific forums you will indeed find those discussions, and also on threads with School X vs School Y wherein the applicant lays out his/her thoughts on the pros/cons of each school and asks for input.

JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member
May 28, 2007
Status
Medical Student
So then why are you worried about the "wrong impression of pre-med DOs"? IMO, there most certainly is something wrong with posters claiming this place as their throne in hopes of embarrassing newbies for asking questions. Not everyone shows up on a forum and says "oh goody! A search function!" Sometimes they're excited to have found a forum of people who can help, sometimes they check out the forum and see all the posts and all the conversation and jump right in, without thinking of looking for the search function, and sometimes, the number of results in those search functions becomes overwhelming, especially when most of the responses are "use the search function."

That's the most ironic thing of all. You search for the topic you want and the first dozen replies in the thread that pops up is "use the search function."

And for the record, I searched and didn't find a post that adequately answered the question: "best DO school are to apply to (considering location, money (in state vs out of state), faculty, curriculum, rotations etc) compared with the worst schools (in your opinion, of course!)"

Gabby ... why are you freaking out?

1. I do think it creates a bad impression initially, and that we should probably be 'nicer,' but a. such is life and b. like I said, tons of members get over it, roll with the punches, stick around, and do fine. I've had people explode on me for being rude in their first few repeat threads, and then had them PM me a few months later for advice, etc. It's the nature of the beast.

2. It's fine that people are happy or jump right into conversations, but honestly ... I personally know one of the first things I do when I hit up a new site is FAQ. It's right there at the top of the thread and even says 'please do a search before posting.' No one is paid to respond on this site, it's all just people helping each other out. If a new member can't take a few seconds to look around and check things out, then I don't know why other people would take the time to respond super nicely or write a novel in response. Plus, the searches aren't overwhelming (if you use good phrasing), and they are helpful. Honestly if this is too much ... rethink things.

3. These threads are very common. Just because you didn't find one that was titled that way ... doesn't mean you can't find one with useful information. I've seriously found things via the search function that shocked me.

4. It's seriously not a big deal though ... and not worth arguing over.

FutureCTDoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2009
Sunny South Florida
Status
Pre-Medical
Jagger My only comment is welcome to the thunderdome.

Gabby

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I don't mean to state the obvious here, but that's because most people don't expect anyone to give them a run-down of every facet of every DO school, in list format.

Then it begs the question, why tell the OP to use the search function? Why not just answer or ignore the question? Why make it a point to answer a newbie in such a rude way?

Gabby

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Gabby ... why are you freaking out?
I think you confuse bringing some self-righteous posters down a peg or two with freaking out.

1. I do think it creates a bad impression initially, and that we should probably be 'nicer,'
Which is all I'm trying to say. There are several here who swagger around and get off on being rude to people. When it's long-time posters bickering, that's what happens. When it's a newbie asking an innocent question, it's wrong.

but a. such is life and b. like I said, tons of members get over it, roll with the punches, stick around, and do fine.
So what? That doesn't make it right.

2. It's fine that people are happy or jump right into conversations, but honestly ... I personally know one of the first things I do when I hit up a new site is FAQ. It's right there at the top of the thread and even says 'please do a search before posting.'
I think you're one of the few people who does that.

No one is paid to respond on this site, it's all just people helping each other out.
Exactly! So why be rude? Why not ignore a thread you can't be bothered with? Why not move on to threads you like? I never understand that kind of logic. It's like going into a store you hate just so you can complain about it.

If a new member can't take a few seconds to look around and check things out, then I don't know why other people would take the time to respond super nicely or write a novel in response.
And yet, many people DID respond nicely, inquiring more information out of the OP. You and frack over there were the only ones who were rude about it. Most offered REAL advice, even if it was to do a little research and come up with a list of what things are important.

Plus, the searches aren't overwhelming (if you use good phrasing), and they are helpful.
As I said, the OP's answer didn't pop up in a search. I tried. The only thing that comes close is the pro/con thread in the Osteo forum. Short of that, I didn't find anything recent (2008 +).

3. These threads are very common. Just because you didn't find one that was titled that way ... doesn't mean you can't find one with useful information. I've seriously found things via the search function that shocked me.
That isn't the point. The point is that even if you wanted the OP to do a search, why be a jackass about it? Many others found a way to tell the poster that without feeling the need to be rude.

4. It's seriously not a big deal though ... and not worth arguing over.
Oh, I don't now about you but I think being a prick to new posters is a bit of a deal. It's what gives SDN and pre-DOs a bad name and after all, isn't that what you said you wanted to avoid?

Hoody

Removed
Jul 1, 2009
Status
I'm gonna have to agree with Gabby on this one. :nod:

Jun 25, 2009
Status
I'm gonna have to agree with Gabby on this one. :nod:
I have to disagree. The OP's request was ridiculous. "Please list the pros and cons of every DO school in a list format." Seriously? I'll tell you why I get annoyed at things like this. I spent hours searching for and combing through threads to find answers. I would ask a question when I couldn't find an answer.

I enjoy helping people even if it means it may hurt me. I helped kids out all the time in my orgo lab even though I knew only two or three of us would get an A. We were all graded relative to each other, but it's just who I am. But the one thing that drives me nuts is when people can't first try to help themselves. When you assist people like that, it's not helping - it's just enabling.

BTW Gabby, I don't mean any disrespect. That's just the way I see it.

JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member
May 28, 2007
Status
Medical Student
I think you confuse bringing some self-righteous posters down a peg or two with freaking out.

Which is all I'm trying to say. There are several here who swagger around and get off on being rude to people. When it's long-time posters bickering, that's what happens. When it's a newbie asking an innocent question, it's wrong.

So what? That doesn't make it right.

I think you're one of the few people who does that.

Exactly! So why be rude? Why not ignore a thread you can't be bothered with? Why not move on to threads you like? I never understand that kind of logic. It's like going into a store you hate just so you can complain about it.

And yet, many people DID respond nicely, inquiring more information out of the OP. You and frack over there were the only ones who were rude about it. Most offered REAL advice, even if it was to do a little research and come up with a list of what things are important.

As I said, the OP's answer didn't pop up in a search. I tried. The only thing that comes close is the pro/con thread in the Osteo forum. Short of that, I didn't find anything recent (2008 +).

That isn't the point. The point is that even if you wanted the OP to do a search, why be a jackass about it? Many others found a way to tell the poster that without feeling the need to be rude.

Oh, I don't now about you but I think being a prick to new posters is a bit of a deal. It's what gives SDN and pre-DOs a bad name and after all, isn't that what you said you wanted to avoid?
Well, I don't know what you were going for because a. I know you didn't take me down a peg (I'm also betting Illegal feels the same way) b. you've changed nothing c. you didn't make a single good point and d. you're the one who now looks like the overreacting prick

Congrats - we're done here by the way.

dancingdoctor13

7+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2010
Status
I am gonna pop back in here and stand up for myself. I appreciate Gabby and others who have stood up for me. Thank you! This was my first post in this forum as a whole and honestly am brand new to the DO programs. I think its a great option to have when applying to medical school and have heard a lot of great things about DO docs and that is why I was interested in learning about what you all thought were amazing programs since websites can only boast about their own programs. Believe me i am a hard worker, and I will put the time in to do the research, but to everyone else, i am also willing to HELP others if I can, not criticize them. Have you ever heard, there are no dumb questions, only dumb people who are afraid to ask them? Please don't make comments about my character when you don't even know who i am, and I didn't realize my comments would be so idiotic. Although I am not sorry at all for asking.

As Gabby brought up, if you think the question is lame, don't answer it! I don't mind if no one answers it, but paying it forward is always a point in your favor. Appreciate those who stood in my corner. Best of luck to all of you with you apps this year!

Mar 8, 2010
Status
I can definitely understand why someone trying to read "The Pros and Cons of your DO school" would be a little lost about it. Its 17 pages long and usually has 1-2 actual school reviews. It takes a good few hours to truck through, and get maybe one or two opinions on your school (if there are any)

Your school specific threads? All of the posts are "aagh did they call yet!" "got my call!" "when is the secondary due" and so on.

Match lists are long, confusing, and honestly kind of 'meh' as far as usefulness goes...when you can find them.

Rankings of schools are effectively non-existent.

Long story short, I can see why people are keep asking this question. Not everyone wants to live on SDN and trawl up every little rumor or nugget of info from the other inane posts (I saw nearly 50 responses to this and assumed there'd be a lot of constructive debate at schools here...nope)

Oh well

MLT2MT2DO

10+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
All I have to say is the first sticky post at the top of this forum says "Please Read and Search Before Posting". Since people disregard the "please" comment they then get to run into snarky comments.

And Gabby, you're not the white knight you think you are, all you did is completely derail this thread further than it would have been had you not randomly stood up for dancingdoctor, good show!