List of Genetic Conditions for MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justadream

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a list of certain diseases/conditions (e.g., Sickle Cell, Hemophilia, etc.) for which we must know the pattern of inheritance (e.g., sex-linked recessive, autosomal recessive, etc.)?

Members don't see this ad.

Is there a list of certain diseases/conditions (e.g., Sickle Cell, Hemophilia, etc.) for which we must know the pattern of inheritance (e.g., sex-linked recessive, autosomal recessive, etc.)?
no.
You should know the patterns of inheritance, but they will specify (or give enough clues in the question stem that you should be able to identify the pattern). Or give you a pedigree and ask you to give the pattern.

All that I memorized for patterns of inheritance was "like a square peg in a round hole" ---pegs being male and holes being female. Otherwise, I couldn't remember which shape was which on the damn pedigrees!

Members don't see this ad :)
All that I memorized for patterns of inheritance was "like a square peg in a round hole" ---pegs being male and holes being female. Otherwise, I couldn't remember which shape was which on the damn pedigrees!

I laughed :)

Reactions: 1 user
No, but there's some you see over and over again in most undergraduate courses. Classic dominant disease: Huntington's. Classic X-Linked: Hemophilia and Colorblindness Classic Recessive: Sickle Cell Anemia, PKU, etc.

Thanks for that, I can never remember which one is which either.

Reactions: 1 user
LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO