list of MPH schools.......need help

Discussion in 'Public Health Degrees (Masters and Doctoral)' started by steve76, Jun 2, 2008.

1. steve76

Post Doc
    hey guys.........
    I am a foreign graduate (doctor)...need help in choosing a good program...

I am new to this forum and will appreciate if you guys can help me out -

schools i have applied to --

EAST VIRGINIA MEDICAL SCHOOL in norfolk, VA
    MOUNT SINAI SCHOOL OF MEDICINE, NY
    INDIANA UNIVERSITY-PURDUE UNIVERSITY, indianapolis, IN
    DES MOINES in des moines, IA
    CASE WESTERN RESERVE UNIVERSITY cleveland, OH
    THOMAS JEFFERSON in philadelphia, PA
    WEST VIRGINIA UNIVERSITY in morgantown, WV
    NYMC in valhalla, westchester, NY

need to rank the top 3-4 schoools for MPH out of this list....

west virginia university is very expensive...out of state tuition...

THANKS A TON...............need ur feedback

hope to hear from u guys soon

thanksssss

steve

2. chartero

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Good for what?

General reputation in public health?
    Reputation in any subspecialty of public health?
    General reputation of the university overall?

And what would you be looking to do with the degree?

3. steve76

Post Doc
    thanks for replying Chartero

I am looking to join a mph program in a school with a good reputation....
    particular the reputation of the school of public health

I am planning to pursue a career in public health...so it is important for me to chooose a good school
    which will give me better career and job prospects

I am applying to Health management and policy subspecialty

will appreciate ur input about the schools to which i have applied

thanks a ton...

waiting for ur reply

thanks again

4. chartero

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I can find no real information to compare the reputation of these schools among professionals in the field of public health; I am not one myself.

As an outsider to public health but with general knowledge of U.S. education, I can say you would almost certainly not go wrong with Case Western Reserve University, a leading national research university, or Mount Sinai School of Medicine, a leading freestanding medical school. Thomas Jefferson University is also pretty nicely up there.

The other schools you list may generally have more regional reputations. If you are now or you would anticipate becoming eligible to work in the United States, would you like to work in the geographical areas of any of these schools? Give points for that. Also, living while in school. Some areas may have access to more opportunities. Some areas may be much more expensive to live in during the program, New York City on the high end of this list, maybe Des Moines? on the low end.

You might also want to come back here for a more specific comparison once you've been accepted to any of these.

Good luck!

5. steve76

Post Doc
    Thanks a lot for ur reply Chartero

I agree with you on Case western...that it is a good school...but then why isnt it listed on SOPHAS..anyways
    case is good
    thomas jefferson i am assuming is also a good school...

but i didnt hear that gr8 things about Mt Sinai
    since it is a relatively new MPH program

I wish someone how knew more about the MPH schools could give me more feed back on these 2 schools ?????

case and thomas jefferson

thanks a lot Chartero

i appreciate you replying although this post being about something that is outside ur field

tk cr
    good luck

6. CMVMPH

CMVMPH Epi & Health Educator
    2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    I think more importantly than SOPHAS is CEPH.org . The official website of accredited schools/program of public health. It is NOT worth it to go to a school that is not accredited - your degree will lose much of its value. I am not familiar with all of the schools you listed accredidation, but I don't recognize all of them as being on "the list".

Also, you will have to produce a financial statement that shows that you can live here and afford the tuition and living expenses for the entire graduate program. However, I must say that with you saying that you are a doctor, I recommend Mt. Sinai. You may also want to look into SUNY Stony Brook, which recently JUST got accredited for their MPH program and is linked to the medical school [which means there will be a lot of opportunities for clinical-based research].

Long story short, you will get the best job prospects getting into research programs and going to school in a general area where lots of jobs will be available, like NYC. You will make connections this way. I went to NYMC and received my MPH from there 2 months ago, but I wouldn't recommend it. They lost a lot of good faculty this year and are having severe financial problems. Scratch it off of your list lol

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #6 CMVMPH, Jul 2, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2008