List of Ortho programs that allow moonlighting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tooth

Orthodontist
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If your Ortho program allows moonlighting, please post.

Members don't see this ad.

If they let you practice while you are studying, I guess they wouldn't call it moonlighting.

There are a bunch that let you moonlight. Everywhere I interviewed allowed moonlighting.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are a bunch that let you moonlight. Everywhere I interviewed allowed moonlighting.

Yeah, I always thought that if oral surgery residents can moonlight...why the hell can't orthodontic residents?

Andrew324,

Would you say that at most of these programs you could moonlight enough to cover your living expenses and part of the (astronimical) tuition of ortho progrms?

Thanks for your insight. I'm hoping to be able to moonlight as a general dentist on the weekends to help compensate for tuition and cost of living. Perhaps this thread would have been better if I had asked for a list of Ortho programs with a strict no moonlighting policy.

Andrew324,

Would you say that at most of these programs you could moonlight enough to cover your living expenses and part of the (astronimical) tuition of ortho progrms?

This would all depend on how great a part time job you could get and what your expenses are. I have heard roughly $600 per day in some cities if you work on say a Saturday, it totally depends on what you can manage to get and if you want to do it. I most likely will not be moonlighting even though I am able to, I will look but it will need to be a pretty good opportunity to take up any more of my time.

Perhaps this thread would have been better if I had asked for a list of Ortho programs with a strict no moonlighting policy.

Ohio State has such a policy.

If you have a valid dental license from the state, technically you are free to practice with that license. The only way a restriction could be placed on the use of that license is if the state issued one. So it doesn't seem like a "no moonlighting" policy would hold any weight.

I seem to recall there were programs with "no moonlighting" policies, but you would be able to catch the residents saying in hushed undertones that they did moonlight but obviously kept it under wraps.

Depending on how big the community is where you go to residency, you probably could moonlight and get away with it even if your program has some "no moonlighting" policy.

The hardest part in all of this will probably be to find a worthwhile part-time job.