Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

List of PBL schools on the east/northeast

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Hopeful20, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Hopeful20

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Would anyone happened to know which d schools are PBLs and located in the east/northeast area? (In NY, NJ, MA, PA, etc)

As a pre-dent, I can't see myself enjoying PBL so much.
    What are your opinions on PBL?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ak47

ak47 flossy flossy
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Harvard

and in the Midwest - there's Case and Indiana

theres more for sure but you should google it!

4. Quattro DMD

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think PBL would be ok as a supplemental to the curriculum, but not as a main component. I'm doing online masters classes right now and they work in a PBL format and it sucks, because I'm paying way to much money to teach myself, but that's just my opinion. Although some people may enjoy PBL.

5. RAK1987

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    UConn is not strictly PBL, but they do have a PBL component...

6. Contach

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Some.. actually many schools do PBL wrong. The fact that you are doing an online course and they are using PBL is just a disgrace. One of PBLs tenants is collaboration, which involves using peers to teach one another. If you are by yourself, PBL is garbage.

I interviewed at Buffalo and I asked how their curriculum looks in terms of PBL vs traditional lecturing. They started listing off things they do like "case studies," "group discussions," "seminars" and "no powerpoint." Later that day, I asked a 4th year dental student what he thought of the PBL curriculum at Buffalo and he replied: "what is PBL?" Okay, maybe they do PBL, but they don't explicitly use that terminology, so then i asked him about the opportunities for him to be engaged in discussion, how often they use powerpoint, conduct seminars, caste studies, etc. He said there was barely any of that, but he had no complaints.

My point is: sometimes people/schools think they are using PBL and being innovative / following best practices when in actuality they aren't. Be weary of what PBL means to different people...

7. prydA

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    hmm i think i know who you are! asdoh sept 11th, you were talking about a masters program at asdoh (mph?), and you owned the pinhole test cuz you had alrdy done it multiple times before or something? hahaha good to see you finally got in!

8. Quattro DMD

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Haha, yeah, I was the only other guy there that didn't go to BYU.

9. Quattro DMD

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    We have discussion boards as part of our daily assignments, and that's how we interact with one another to learn and discuss issues. But there's no lecture. That's why I would hate to go to a school that is 100% PBL. But that's just me, I learn better in lecture format. Interacting by doing case-studies in a group is good too, but again I think it should just be a supplemental to the overall program. Just my opinion.