List of Pharmacy Schools I am Applying to.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmacyrx90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I made a list of all the pharmacy schools that I may be applying to. I will be applying to majority of these schools. I only applied to 4 schools this past cycle and got rejected by all of them. I am applying to way more schools this time around. I know I will get into at least one school. I have saved up about $5,000 for applications. Anyone applying to any of these schools?

Samford University
Midwestern University- Glendale
University of St. Joseph
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine
Nova Southeastern University
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
South University- (GA)
The University of Hawaii
University of Charleston
Chicago State University
Midwestern University (Chicago)
Roosevelt University
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
Manchester University
Drake University
Husson University
Notre Dame of Maryland university
University of Maryland Eastern Shore
University of Maryland
Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences- Worcester
University of Missouri- Kansas City
Roseman University of Health Sciences
St. John Fisher College
Wingate University
University of Oklahoma
Pacific University Oregon
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine- Erie Campus
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
Presbyterian College
South University (South Carolina)
Belmont University
East Tennessee State University
Lipscomb University
South College (Tennessee)
Union University
Texas A&M University Health Science Center
University of Houston
University of the Incarnate Word
University of North Texas
Texas Southern University
Shenandoah University
University of Washington
University of Charleston
Xavier University College of Pharmacy
Southwestern Oklahoma State University College of Pharmacy
Sullivan University
The University of Toledo College of Pharmacy
Florida A&M University College of Pharmacy
Idaho State University College of Pharmacy
Northeastern University School of Pharmacy
Ohio Northern University College of Pharmacy
Rutgers University School of Pharmacy
South Dakota State University School of Pharmacy

Members don't see this ad.

I made a list of all the pharmacy schools that I may be applying to. I will be applying to majority of these schools. I only applied to 4 schools this past cycle and got rejected by all of them. I am applying to way more schools this time around. I know I will get into at least one school. I have saved up about $5,000 for applications. Anyone applying to any of these schools?

Samford University
University of St. Joseph
South University- (GA)
The University of Hawaii
University of Charleston
Chicago State University
Roosevelt University
Manchester University
Drake University
Husson University
University of Maryland
St. John Fisher College
Wingate University
University of Oklahoma
Presbyterian College
Belmont University
Lipscomb University
Union University
University of Houston
Shenandoah University
University of Washington
University of Charleston
Sullivan University

you needed that 5000.00 dollars...OMG, your going to get into somewhere....:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Whoa whoa whoa that's going overboard friend, really really overboard. Applying to 53 schools is not a smart thing to do; it must suck to not get in this cycle, but you have to think sensibly. Drop at least 30 schools from that list and at most, apply to around 15 schools and maybe 20 as an absolute maximum.

Seems a bit excessive to say the least. What was wrong with your application last time that you think applying to 53 schools is the answer?

I would definitely lower the number of schools you apply to, check their stats and out of state friendly and apply to the ones in which you have the best chance. I feel like i'll be applying to a lot with like 10-15, but I'm mainly restricted regionally due to relationship.

What are your stats? You got rejected by four. Did they say why?

I recommend asking them because you're probably going to want to drop some schools from that list.

50 is too many.

Buddy your overdoing it. Just cause you didn't get in any schools in Texas doesn't mean other states have the same standards. Narrow that list to 11-14 schools max. Your current stats will get you in somewhere.

Samford University
University of St. Joseph
South University- (GA)
The University of Hawaii
University of Charleston
Chicago State University
Roosevelt University
Manchester University
Drake University
Husson University
University of Maryland
St. John Fisher College
Wingate University
University of Oklahoma
Presbyterian College
Belmont University
Lipscomb University
Union University
University of Houston
Shenandoah University
University of Washington
University of Charleston
Sullivan University

Omg it's a huge waste of money!!!!!! I applied to twenty and did like 15 of my supplementals and interviewed at 7 and declined the others. I probably spent 5000 on applications travel and hotel in the end. I got into all my schools except one and I doubt your GPA is lower than 2.7.

Just find what's wrong with your app and improve those.

All those schools are overkill especially don't apply to schools that you know you don't want to go. I wasted too much money.

I think the average number of pharmacy school people apply to is lower than six. I can sense your determination and understand why you are applying to so many schools, but also consider the quality of supplemental essays you will need to submit for all 50 schools. Instead of applying to half the pharmacy schools in the country, figure out what it is that went wrong last year and try to improve the strength of your application. I am sure you will be accepted this year, GL!

I applied to 15, turned in supplements for 9 and was accepted to my #1 school. In the end, I regretted spending so much money for nothing. (hotel, transportation, time) I should have just concentrated on the schools that I really wanted to go.

Why would you ever apply to so many schools? You'll have supplemental for each school and while you might be able to reuse some essays, you'll have to work at each one. The quality of each is sure to suffer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Holy shiat.. $5000 for applications?? I felt dirty spending $200 total for the 2 schools I applied to.

I said exactly same word..holy shxt.

I think as long as you prepare for interview , you shouldn't spend 5k on applying for schools..

i'm applying 8 schools and I thought this was a lot.

Whoa whoa whoa that's going overboard friend, really really overboard. Applying to 53 schools is not a smart thing to do; it must suck to not get in this cycle, but you have to think sensibly. Drop at least 30 schools from that list and at most, apply to around 15 schools and maybe 20 as an absolute maximum.

lol...I totally agree with Surgoi.... I know you saved up 5000.00 but you will still need to pay for supplementals along with the fact that you would have to travel to all those schools. I am saying 15 as the max, just because you did not get in this cycle does not mean,your never going to get in. Your very ambitious and that is all you need right now.

I said exactly same word..holy shxt.

I think as long as you prepare for interview , you shouldn't spend 5k on applying for schools..

i'm applying 8 schools and I thought this was a lot.

Same here.

Hope you are ready to take the first acceptance you get, because you will not have any money left for deposits to hold your seat.

Just off the top of your head, does anyone know the number of accredited pharmacy schools in the US? This must be around 1/3 of them.

OP, I agree with the others about the enormity of this list. Perhaps it would be more prudent to carefully study the admission stats, residency stats, etc of these schools and pare your list down to a more reasonable number. A targeted approach would probably be much more beneficial than this shotgun approach.

Samford University
University of St. Joseph
South University- (GA)
The University of Hawaii
University of Charleston
Chicago State University
Roosevelt University
Manchester University
Drake University
Husson University
University of Maryland
St. John Fisher College
Wingate University
University of Oklahoma
Presbyterian College
Belmont University
Lipscomb University
Union University
University of Houston
Shenandoah University
University of Washington
University of Charleston
Sullivan University

Way, way too many schools! I understand that you are worried, but it is not that difficult to get into a pharmacy school. You just have to do your research and find appropriate schools to apply to. Look at your stats and figure out where you have the best chances, and then choose a few schools that you like the most. You should apply to your #1 school too, regardless of the chances you think you have; you never know maybe you'll get in. Don't forget to consider costs! You do not want to work so hard to get into, and to get through a pharmacy school, to drown in debt and kill yourself at work just to pay it off. Get more experience, improve some grades, try to get good recommendation letters, also believe it or not your personal statement can make a big difference.

You do not have to apply to every school on your list all at once. You can execute the tiered approach. Meaning, apply to a select few and wait a couple weeks to see what happens. If nothing, then apply to a couple more, and so on.

What a waste of money. All for a pharmacy degree that's becoming less and less valuable. If I was in your situation, I'd take that money and go to trade school. No loans. I'd then learn the field very well and become an independent contractor. Your earning potential and lifestyle can easily match or possibly exceed that of a pharmacist, especially nowadays.

I never said I would apply to all of those schools. I said I would apply to most of those schools. I am going to research more on them, like tuition, location, and other stuff. i am made to look like a huge fool in this thread because I put that list. I am not bragging or showing off. I am an Indian with a huge family filled with doctors, my parents wanted me to become a doctor but I said no cause I want to be a pharmacist. I am considered the loser of my family because I have not done anything with my life. I have so much constant pressure. Everyone doubts me. People keep telling me to give up, I will not give up. I don't care how many schools I apply to get into 1 school. I will never ever give up on my pursuit of my dream of becoming a pharmacist. I respect yall's opinions, you can say I am a joke for applying to alot of schools. I do not care. If I get into one school then all the money I have spent on applications will be worth it.

I never said I would apply to all of those schools. I said I would apply to most of those schools. I am going to research more on them, like tuition, location, and other stuff. i am made to look like a huge fool in this thread because I put that list. I am not bragging or showing off. I am an Indian with a huge family filled with doctors, my parents wanted me to become a doctor but I said no cause I want to be a pharmacist. I am considered the loser of my family because I have not done anything with my life. I have so much constant pressure. Everyone doubts me. People keep telling me to give up, I will not give up. I don't care how many schools I apply to get into 1 school. I will never ever give up on my pursuit of my dream of becoming a pharmacist. I respect yall's opinions, you can say I am a joke for applying to alot of schools. I do not care. If I get into one school then all the money I have spent on applications will be worth it.

Well I do not think that people here are making fun of you. Of course you should not give up your dreams, and pursue pharmacy if that is what you want to do. You say that you will apply to many schools to get into one, and I am telling you that you don't have to apply to a ton of schools, because you can get into one or even more if you choose your schools wisely; it's not quantity it's quality that matters. Good luck!

Samford University
University of St. Joseph
South University- (GA)
The University of Hawaii
University of Charleston
Chicago State University
Roosevelt University
Manchester University
Drake University
Husson University
University of Maryland
St. John Fisher College
Wingate University
University of Oklahoma
Presbyterian College
Belmont University
Lipscomb University
Union University
University of Houston
Shenandoah University
University of Washington
University of Charleston
Sullivan University
When i first saw the list i was like holy...! How are you gonna keep up with all the paper works that they will throw at you? like supplemental essays and all that. $5000 for the application alone? Really!? That's almost half of my pharm school's tuition fee for 1 semester. Not to mention the fees for traveling to interviews and such.Your best bet is to choose the schools that you really wanna go to and apply to them first. If you haven't heard anything back from them after a while then try more schools. Don't apply to all of them at once because you will regret it. Try to save some money for pharm school so you wont have to take out too much loans.

Samford University
University of St. Joseph
South University- (GA)
The University of Hawaii
University of Charleston
Chicago State University
Roosevelt University
Manchester University
Drake University
Husson University
University of Maryland
St. John Fisher College
Wingate University
University of Oklahoma
Presbyterian College
Belmont University
Lipscomb University
Union University
University of Houston
Shenandoah University
University of Washington
University of Charleston
Sullivan University

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::

My first reactions was, DAMN!!!! That's the whole list! lol jk! Good Luck dude! You got this!

what a crazy long list but I am sure you will get an interview to more than 3 of those my friend

Samford University
University of St. Joseph
South University- (GA)
The University of Hawaii
University of Charleston
Chicago State University
Roosevelt University
Manchester University
Drake University
Husson University
University of Maryland
St. John Fisher College
Wingate University
University of Oklahoma
Presbyterian College
Belmont University
Lipscomb University
Union University
University of Houston
Shenandoah University
University of Washington
University of Charleston
Sullivan University

You should focus to improve your application instead of simply applying to more schools. Perhaps you need better personal statement, LOR or extra curriculum.

Anyways, GOOD LUCK!

Right now, i'm on ACAP process (step right before you get out of military..)..and this program reminded about this post. Applying tons of schools seems ok because at least its safe. However, better resume (or application in our case) and good interview technique is really needed. How about focusing more on those? I still haven't decided how many schools i'm applying.. thought about 12 then decreased to 8..and still this seems a lot to me.. so maybe 5 or 6 or even less.

we are all so happy for you :rolleyes:

As you should be. And that was back when it was actually hard to get into pharmacy school. I love getting older. I can just complain about the young people.

"Back in my day, if you didn't have a 3.6 GPA, you're PCAT better have been over 85 or forget about it. Had to ace the interview, too. Now we got St. Bob's Immaculate School of Pharmacy Leper Colony accepting idiots with 3.1 GPAs. These new druggists can't even tie their shoes! We played hacky sack in middle school. Now THAT was past time!"

As you should be. And that was back when it was actually hard to get into pharmacy school. I love getting older. I can just complain about the young people.

"Back in my day, if you didn't have a 3.6 GPA, you're PCAT better have been over 85 or forget about it. Had to ace the interview, too. Now we got St. Bob's Immaculate School of Pharmacy Leper Colony accepting idiots with 3.1 GPAs. These new druggists can't even tie their shoes! We played hacky sack in middle school. Now THAT was past time!"

This thread was started by someone seeking advice because he/she was unable to gain admission this cycle. Thus, one can only imagine what this pre-pharm is currently going through. Your comment about "one and done" was irrelevant, did not help the OP in any way, and came off as very rude.

It is rather disappointing you feel the need to bash prepharms when we should be working together.

I am a rather tactful individual, but you sir, need to get off your high horse.

Last edited:
This thread was started by someone seeking advice because he/she was unable to gain admission this cycle. Thus, one can only imagine what this pre-pharm is currently going through. Your comment about “one and done” was irrelevant, did not help the OP in any way, and came off as very rude.

It is rather disappointing you feel the need to bash prepharms when we should be working together.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

SMH....good times on SDN

Why?

How does it benefit me when someone who can't even crack a 3.0 GPA will probably be HAPPY with 75k? It's better than whatever they were doing before, right?

-

Last edited:
This thread was started by someone seeking advice because he/she was unable to gain admission this cycle. Thus, one can only imagine what this pre-pharm is currently going through. Your comment about “one and done” was irrelevant, did not help the OP in any way, and came off as very rude.

Why try to help people who don't meet our expectations of a pharmacist? If students are the complete package (grades + PCAT + solid interview skills), I'm more than happy to advise them. If they seem like somebody I don't want to send my mother to as a patient (poor grades, bad outlook, bad PCAT, etc), why should they be in the healthcare sector, taking patient lives into their hands?

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: you tell him!!!!

WTF happened to SDNPF? Me and a small nucleus of people MADE this board what it is back in the early Twenty-aughts and now these Johnny come latelys stroll in and tell me I can't troll my own damn creation. Ungrateful kids and their damn Justin Beiberlake rap music. Bring back the draft!

... with a huge family filled with doctors, my parents wanted me to become a doctor but I said no cause I want to be a pharmacist. I am considered the loser of my family because I have not done anything with my life. I have so much constant pressure. Everyone doubts me.

It sounds like you have a lot of stress in your life. What was it that sparked your interest in pharmacy? I find sometimes that my peers confuse their ultimate goal of becoming a pharmacist and instead focus on getting into pharmacy school as the prize. Remember why you want to be that community retailer / scientist / business person in pharmacy and it'll help calm you down.

I would recommend writing a formal and well-composed email to each of the four pharmacy schools you applied to previously regarding your application. Listen thoughtfully to what they have to say and take it to heart to improve in that area. Was it lack of volunteer experience? Get involved at a hospital. Was it a few poor grades? Retake some classes at CC if you can. What is lack of student leadership? Tutor at your local high school or your alma mater (or privately for $), take on roles with more responsibility at your place of worship, work as a counselor during a summer camp.

And I also think I should state the obvious - if you have made it this far to even apply to pharmacy schools, many of which on this list are excellent universities, you are absolutely not a failure. It takes a tremendous amount of hard work and dedication from a young person to pursue this, especially with the temptation to do as Pepsi says and "Live for Now". Keep at it and keep your head up, find a new job or hobby this year to keep you occupied and away from the people feeding you negativity.

It sounds like you have a lot of stress in your life. What was it that sparked your interest in pharmacy? I find sometimes that my peers confuse their ultimate goal of becoming a pharmacist and instead focus on getting into pharmacy school as the prize. Remember why you want to be that community retailer / scientist / business person in pharmacy and it'll help calm you down.

I would recommend writing a formal and well-composed email to each of the four pharmacy schools you applied to previously regarding your application. Listen thoughtfully to what they have to say and take it to heart to improve in that area. Was it lack of volunteer experience? Get involved at a hospital. Was it a few poor grades? Retake some classes at CC if you can. What is lack of student leadership? Tutor at your local high school or your alma mater (or privately for $), take on roles with more responsibility at your place of worship, work as a counselor during a summer camp.

And I also think I should state the obvious - if you have made it this far to even apply to pharmacy schools, many of which on this list are excellent universities, you are absolutely not a failure. It takes a tremendous amount of hard work and dedication from a young person to pursue this, especially with the temptation to do as Pepsi says and "Live for Now". Keep at it and keep your head up, find a new job or hobby this year to keep you occupied and away from the people feeding you negativity.

like +1

perfect answer and encouragement.

Your resolve is admirable, but make sure that you will truly be happy studying at any and all of the schools you apply. In other words, I encourage you to apply to as many schools as you want, but you better be sure you fully research every school you apply for.