List of Phil Med Schools with US affiliated Clinical Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LeonStryfe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read so many post here, especially the many opinions people have about different Phil Medical Schools.

I'm still trying to figure out what Phil Medical Schools I would like to apply to, I'm thinking abotu UST, UERM, FEU, St. Lukes.

I'm pretty sure everyone can agree with me, is that regardless of what medical schools in the philippines we all may decide to go to, all our goals are the same; To get into a residency here in the US. Since we all know also that a

US Dr LOR and US Clinical Rotation experience > Phil LOR/Clinical rotations

(correct me if I'm wrong, this is what I've gotten so far after reading a lot of post)

I came to conclusion that it would be benefitial for a US undegrad to go to a Phil Med school with affiliations in the US for clinical rotations. Now so far I've read that Fatima has a good affiliation in the US.

What other schools currently have affiliations in the US so one can do a rotation here in the US? I read that UERM has one as well? Is there others?

How do I go about finding this out... Thanks guys. If you have any other schools that has US affiliations and is accredited, by all means, please list them.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The universities I know of is

Our Lady of Fatima Medical & UERM

foreign student / development fee : $10,000
tuitions : P160,000 / year

i dont think st lukes / Feu has any affiliated hospitals now. UST requires good grade in NMAT.

I am currently here in Manila. If you need any assistance or information you can pm me.

Thanks for the response. By the way, is it hard/impossible for a Phil IMG with a clinical rotation experience in the US to go into general surgery residency? My main goal is to become a general surgeon thats why..

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response. By the way, is it hard/impossible for a Phil IMG with a clinical rotation experience in the US to go into general surgery residency? My main goal is to become a general surgeon thats why..
It's gonna be difficult. AFAIK, only one Fil-Am was able to get a General Surgery residency. Search for the name of Doctan on this website and you can see his story. He was a good student and actually admitted to Univ. of Michigan Med school. For some weird reasons (financial which at that time is not really a big issue as loans were easier then), he enrolled in UERM. Based on his story, he studied for USMLE from day 1 like heck and took his step 1 after his second year. He even took his step 2 between 3rd and 4th year (a difficult feat to say the least). His scores were very high (99/98) and did most of his 4th year (clerkship) in the US. He matched in Surgery (Categorical) in a hospital affiliated with Temple. That's the only recent success story I know in terms of Surgery.
Back in the early 90's , I know 2 or 3 student from UP (Filipinos on J-1 and not even US citizens) who were able to get into Surgery. Nowadays, most good students there don't even attempt due to the stiff competition. It's much harder nowadays and if you don't believe me, ask any Filipino graduating after 1995 (other than the FilAm I mentioned) who got into Surgery and you can see how difficult it is.

What area/field does Filipino Med Graduates or IMG in general usually end up going into? I assume EM is going to be even harder? Btw thanks Tantrum

Last edited:
What area/field does Filipino Med Graduates or IMG in general usually end up going into? I assume EM is going to be even harder? Btw thanks Tantrum
Most Filipino or US IMG grads go to IM or Peds then subspecialize. Some went to Psychiatry and Pathology (this is getting tougher too). EM is slightly less competitive than Surgery but you still need good scores.

I know that UERM has affliations with St.John Epicostal hospital in New York and Jackson hospital in Chicago. Although we can do 9-10months of our rotations in these hospitals, not all of the rotations are greenbook. So my question is does it matter that not all my core rotations are greenbook? From what I remember, St.John Epicostal hospital is greenbook for Internal medicine and the Jackson hospital is greenbook for Family medicine. St.John also offers Surgery however it is not greenbook. I am considering looking for another hospital that will allow foreign graduates to take a surgery rotation assuming it's greenbook. I definitely want to make sure that I at least have as much US hospital experience as possible if my plan is to practice in the States. So basically my priority is to have the tons of US clinical experience and my second priority would be that most if not all the US rotations are greenbook.

Hey rambo8614, may I ask what you mean by greenbook? Sorry, I'm not familiar with the term and I've also applied to UERM because I'm interested in gaining clinical experience in the US to match in a good program. I'd like to know what things I should inquire about. :)

Thanks in advance for the help!

Hey rambo8614, may I ask what you mean by greenbook? Sorry, I'm not familiar with the term and I've also applied to UERM because I'm interested in gaining clinical experience in the US to match in a good program. I'd like to know what things I should inquire about. :)

There's a thread at valuemd which deals with it. You can read it but I don't think it will make things much clearer.

There's always a lot of talk at the forums here about stateside clerkship rotations. But it seems to me that most IMGs from PI med schools don't do one.

Don't forget to google occasionally!!! It doesn't take any longer than typing in a question.

http://www.valuemd.com/clinical-rotations-forum/31649-what-greenbook-rotations.html

Also many rotations are considered greenbook if the hospital has a Family Medicine program that is greenbook. They call it the Family Med greenbook "umbrella".