List of programs with residents dropping out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted947887

Can we compile a list of these programs. Would be great for medical students.

Members don't see this ad.

If people want to PM me anonymously I will offer anonymous posting in this regard. I'm OK with this being residents leaving for any reason (dropping out or being fired)

While there would be no template, here are variables I think would be of interest:
What program
What PGY was the resident
How many years ago did this happen
What did they do after leaving the program
Was it resident's or program's decision (speculation)

Reactions: 1 user
did any residents drop out because they did not know TAQMAN?

So many bad programs out there.....
little i feel comfortable sharing. BE CAREFUL where you end up. All i got to say here...

Members don't see this ad :)
did any residents drop out because they did not know TAQMAN?

So many bad programs out there.....
little i feel comfortable sharing. BE CAREFUL where you end up. All i got to say here...

Just had one approach me yesterday. Just about to become a pgy 3 and is already complaining about the Rad bio curriculum. Tells me he’s looking for an exit. Hasn’t dropped out yet but seems to be teetering.

I'll share the info. These are taxpayer-sponsored training programs, and we have a right to know how our money is being spent.

Reactions: 1 users
Just about to become a pgy 3 and is already complaining about the Rad bio curriculum.
I think programs are setting themselves up for buyer's remorse during interview cycles. "We have daily didactics, a dedicated rad bio course" sounds great and you have visions of an energetic attending relaying the intricacies of their site to you daily, with a radiobiologist going through the mysterious biology surrounding this technology.

Then you're finishing PGY2. You haven't seen an attending show up, much less participate in morning lecture in 2 months. The rad bio course is just thumbing through Hall and saying "uh, any questions?". You feel lied to.

Take heart though: save for what seems like 2 or 3 institutions (if even that!), EVERYWHERE is like that. Our field talks a big game about being super-academic-oriented but don't really seem to care much about educating residents. Or dedicating resources for research. Or actually doing hypothesis-directed research. We pride ourselves on memorizing lots of stuff for a few tests, but then don't really do much with that knowledge.

Reactions: 5 users
Take heart though: save for what seems like 2 or 3 institutions (if even that!), EVERYWHERE is like that. Our field talks a big game about being super-academic-oriented but don't really seem to care much about educating residents. Or dedicating resources for research. Or actually doing hypothesis-directed research. We pride ourselves on memorizing lots of stuff for a few tests, but then don't really do much with that knowledge.
Stuff like this would, and does, drive anybody crazy.
This future internist complained about one question on Step 1; "If this level of meaningless trivia demonstrably improves patient safety or the quality of care, then by all means test away. But we don't have evidence that it does."
She should bow in deference to our much higher pain tolerance in rad onc lol.

Just had one approach me yesterday. Just about to become a pgy 3 and is already complaining about the Rad bio curriculum. Tells me he’s looking for an exit. Hasn’t dropped out yet but seems to be teetering.
Are there actually more than a couple of people dropping out or switching out? There is a big difference between venting and actually pulling the trigger.

Also speculating about dropping out of an entire career path because of the radbio exam seems silly. This is one exam and once you pass it you never have to think about it again. We have spent so much of our lives from college on memorizing things for tests only to never need them again--radbio is just more of the same.

I've always figured that exams up to this point were more to test your ability to synthesize and retain large amounts of data/knowledge. SATs, MCAT, Step 1 are all more reflective of "how dedicated are you toward studying and can you remember a lot of stuff?". IMO that's a valid tool/question when you're going into a field that demands it (and even beyond our board exams, I think we have to admit we *do* have to understand a lot of highly technical stuff to effectively take care of our patients, contrary to something like internal medicine).

So in a sense, how well someone does on Step 1 (to some cutoff) probably gives a decent idea of how well they could synthesize the large volume of knowledge we need in the next step. For an ABR physic/bio test though...there is no next step. It's terminal. There is no 'selection' needed. How well you do on these tests informs *nothing* for the next phase in employment. We'd be better off with a Step 2 CS type exam lol...at least the 'breaking bad news' would be relevant. A documentation exam would be more useful.

Are there actually more than a couple of people dropping out or switching out? There is a big difference between venting and actually pulling the trigger.

Also speculating about dropping out of an entire career path because of the radbio exam seems silly. This is one exam and once you pass it you never have to think about it again. We have spent so much of our lives from college on memorizing things for tests only to never need them again--radbio is just more of the same.

+1. We shouldn’t be posting the names of programs where a resident has just vented. We all know that statistically there are going to be residents who are hard to work with, and you never know which of those are not thriving in residency for that reason vs. an issue intrinsic to the program.

I agree with this. Mods feel free to close.

I agree with this. Mods feel free to close.

While I agree that discussing programs (by name) where residents are simply venting (without a carried out plan of resigning/transferring) is likely inappropriate, having a discussion of programs who have lost residents (either due to resident preference or institutional preference) is valuable in the current era where radiation oncology is no longer a competitive specialty. It is to be seen if we will see a re-bound in applicants (and whether those are are due to increases in DO or IMG applicants) in the upcoming year, but based off the most recent data with more spots than applicants, rad onc is officially not a competitive field. With that statement, prospective applicants have the ability yto be picky about the programs they end up at, and this information is, IMO, valuable.

Reactions: 5 users
With explosion of first aid and spacebar monkeying, STEP1 is also frankly too memory heavy and has lost g loadedness over time,even though as a licensing and not aptitude test it wasn't meant to have much to begin with.

The difference is that the IM world is evolving. Right now there are plans to configure IM boards with uptodate access during their exams. Frankly, if you can google an answer in 2 seconds, it isn' that great.

• Wow
Members don't see this ad :)
with news that Hanehmann (Drexel main Hospital) has declared Bankrupcy and will be closing down, all of of its residency programs are likely in peril. Hospital has stopped taking level 1-2 trauma. Anybody know what will happen to the rad onc program?

with news that Hanehmann (Drexel main Hospital) has declared Bankrupcy and will be closing down, all of of its residency programs are likely in peril. Hospital has stopped taking level 1-2 trauma. Anybody know what will happen to the rad onc program?
Back to shutting down, I'd imagine.

They are relocating all of their residents to other programs. There are several hundred residents I believe. That includes rad onc

They are relocating all of their residents to other programs. There are several hundred residents I believe. That includes rad onc

I was told residents are having a hard time because the CEO is not releasing their GME funds.

I was told residents are having a hard time because the CEO is not releasing their GME funds.
Honestly considering Drexel's recent shutdown and probation history before, the current crop of RO residents there were taking a big risk ranking them, imo. Turned out to be a bad gamble, unfortunately

Last edited:
Honestly considering Drexel's recent shutdown and probation history before, the current crop of RO residents there were taking a big risk ranking them, imo. Turned out to be a bad gamble, unfortunately
I was very confused about how positive some med students seemed about that program on the interview trail in the past few years.

I've cleaned this thread significantly - let's attempt to keep this thread ON TOPIC. Drexel is a program that obviously has residents not completing their program.

This thread is to be reserved for OTHER instances of residents not finishing their residencies at where they start out.

• Haha
program in SC had 2 returning residents transfer (2 out of 4 returning total). :pompous:

program in SC had 2 returning residents transfer (2 out of 4 returning total). :pompous:
That ain't good. I'm not a big believer that you need more than 6 residents to have a reasonable program, but I'd say you need more than 2.

I did a one a year program, and that was borderline too small at times with five. Two though? That’s an issue.

2 new ones coming in so 4 instead of 6

When domino falls another one does. So MUSC will prob post they have an opening and then someone at a program they like less will transfer. Prob not that hard to figure out where the MUSC people went - they would have went to one of the places that listed an opening in the past few months