evilbooyaa

Staff member
7+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If people want to PM me anonymously I will offer anonymous posting in this regard. I'm OK with this being residents leaving for any reason (dropping out or being fired)

While there would be no template, here are variables I think would be of interest:
What program
What PGY was the resident
How many years ago did this happen
What did they do after leaving the program
Was it resident's or program's decision (speculation)

Reactions: rad0nccc

thecarbonionangle

2+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
did any residents drop out because they did not know TAQMAN?

So many bad programs out there.....
little i feel comfortable sharing. BE CAREFUL where you end up. All i got to say here...

Jul 30, 2018
did any residents drop out because they did not know TAQMAN?

So many bad programs out there.....
little i feel comfortable sharing. BE CAREFUL where you end up. All i got to say here...
Just had one approach me yesterday. Just about to become a pgy 3 and is already complaining about the Rad bio curriculum. Tells me he’s looking for an exit. Hasn’t dropped out yet but seems to be teetering.

TDDro

2+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Just about to become a pgy 3 and is already complaining about the Rad bio curriculum.
I think programs are setting themselves up for buyer's remorse during interview cycles. "We have daily didactics, a dedicated rad bio course" sounds great and you have visions of an energetic attending relaying the intricacies of their site to you daily, with a radiobiologist going through the mysterious biology surrounding this technology.

Then you're finishing PGY2. You haven't seen an attending show up, much less participate in morning lecture in 2 months. The rad bio course is just thumbing through Hall and saying "uh, any questions?". You feel lied to.

Take heart though: save for what seems like 2 or 3 institutions (if even that!), EVERYWHERE is like that. Our field talks a big game about being super-academic-oriented but don't really seem to care much about educating residents. Or dedicating resources for research. Or actually doing hypothesis-directed research. We pride ourselves on memorizing lots of stuff for a few tests, but then don't really do much with that knowledge.

scarbrtj

2+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2015
Status
Attending Physician
Take heart though: save for what seems like 2 or 3 institutions (if even that!), EVERYWHERE is like that. Our field talks a big game about being super-academic-oriented but don't really seem to care much about educating residents. Or dedicating resources for research. Or actually doing hypothesis-directed research. We pride ourselves on memorizing lots of stuff for a few tests, but then don't really do much with that knowledge.
Stuff like this would, and does, drive anybody crazy.
This future internist complained about one question on Step 1; "If this level of meaningless trivia demonstrably improves patient safety or the quality of care, then by all means test away. But we don't have evidence that it does."
She should bow in deference to our much higher pain tolerance in rad onc lol.

Mar 26, 2019
Just had one approach me yesterday. Just about to become a pgy 3 and is already complaining about the Rad bio curriculum. Tells me he’s looking for an exit. Hasn’t dropped out yet but seems to be teetering.
Are there actually more than a couple of people dropping out or switching out? There is a big difference between venting and actually pulling the trigger.

Also speculating about dropping out of an entire career path because of the radbio exam seems silly. This is one exam and once you pass it you never have to think about it again. We have spent so much of our lives from college on memorizing things for tests only to never need them again--radbio is just more of the same.

Reactions: evilbooyaa

TDDro

2+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I've always figured that exams up to this point were more to test your ability to synthesize and retain large amounts of data/knowledge. SATs, MCAT, Step 1 are all more reflective of "how dedicated are you toward studying and can you remember a lot of stuff?". IMO that's a valid tool/question when you're going into a field that demands it (and even beyond our board exams, I think we have to admit we *do* have to understand a lot of highly technical stuff to effectively take care of our patients, contrary to something like internal medicine).

So in a sense, how well someone does on Step 1 (to some cutoff) probably gives a decent idea of how well they could synthesize the large volume of knowledge we need in the next step. For an ABR physic/bio test though...there is no next step. It's terminal. There is no 'selection' needed. How well you do on these tests informs *nothing* for the next phase in employment. We'd be better off with a Step 2 CS type exam lol...at least the 'breaking bad news' would be relevant. A documentation exam would be more useful.

Krukenberg

2+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2015
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Are there actually more than a couple of people dropping out or switching out? There is a big difference between venting and actually pulling the trigger.

Also speculating about dropping out of an entire career path because of the radbio exam seems silly. This is one exam and once you pass it you never have to think about it again. We have spent so much of our lives from college on memorizing things for tests only to never need them again--radbio is just more of the same.
+1. We shouldn’t be posting the names of programs where a resident has just vented. We all know that statistically there are going to be residents who are hard to work with, and you never know which of those are not thriving in residency for that reason vs. an issue intrinsic to the program.

Reactions: evilbooyaa

bluebubbles

2+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2015
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Come on boys & girls, it’s just a few exams. Didactics and exams are not real problems IMO.

OP
S
Sep 5, 2018

I agree with this. Mods feel free to close.

evilbooyaa

Staff member
7+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I agree with this. Mods feel free to close.
While I agree that discussing programs (by name) where residents are simply venting (without a carried out plan of resigning/transferring) is likely inappropriate, having a discussion of programs who have lost residents (either due to resident preference or institutional preference) is valuable in the current era where radiation oncology is no longer a competitive specialty. It is to be seen if we will see a re-bound in applicants (and whether those are are due to increases in DO or IMG applicants) in the upcoming year, but based off the most recent data with more spots than applicants, rad onc is officially not a competitive field. With that statement, prospective applicants have the ability yto be picky about the programs they end up at, and this information is, IMO, valuable.

TheIllusionist

5+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2013
East Coast Best Coast
Status
Medical Student
With explosion of first aid and spacebar monkeying, STEP1 is also frankly too memory heavy and has lost g loadedness over time,even though as a licensing and not aptitude test it wasn't meant to have much to begin with.

The difference is that the IM world is evolving. Right now there are plans to configure IM boards with uptodate access during their exams. Frankly, if you can google an answer in 2 seconds, it isn' that great.