List of School Applying to! Help... Please :-)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoccerMD12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First, this has a little about me...
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=305808

Regardless, I'm trying to narrow down the list of schools that I intend on applying to and was hoping for some advice!

First, I approached the issue first by eliminating schools west of Missouri and those in the deep south (Alabama, Louisiana, Florida, Mississippi, South Carolina) because they are too far away for me. After that I used a mixture of information (ave scores, selectivity, required research, out-of-state acceptance) to pick my top schools...

Oh, yeah... I'm from Indiana (for in-state purposes). I tried to pick a few schools out of my league, some really good ones, and some safer schools... did I approach the selection process in a good manner? Any schools not listed I should consider? Do I have enough "safe" schools and any in the Midwest I should consider adding? Exc... Exc...

Thanks in advance!

Here's my list...
"Reach Schools"
Johns Hopkins
Washington University - St. Louis
Cornell University
University of Pennslyvania
Mayo Medical School

"Awesome Schools"
Emory University
Northwestern University
University of Chicago
Boston University
University of Michigan
Dartmouth
New York University
Case Western Reserve
Ohio State University
University of Pittsburgh

"Please Get In Schools..."
Georgetown University
Loyola University
Rush Medical College
Indiana University (In-State)
Wake Forest University
University of Illinois
University of Cincinnati

Members don't see this ad.

michaeltoole said:
First, this has a little about me...
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=305808

Regardless, I'm trying to narrow down the list of schools that I intend on applying to and was hoping for some advice!

First, I approached the issue first by eliminating schools west of Missouri and those in the deep south (Alabama, Louisiana, Florida, Mississippi, South Carolina) because they are too far away for me. After that I used a mixture of information (ave scores, selectivity, required research, out-of-state acceptance) to pick my top schools...

Oh, yeah... I'm from Indiana (for in-state purposes). I tried to pick a few schools out of my league, some really good ones, and some safer schools... did I approach the selection process in a good manner? Any schools not listed I should consider? Do I have enough "safe" schools and any in the Midwest I should consider adding? Exc... Exc...

Thanks in advance!

Here's my list...
"Reach Schools"
Johns Hopkins
Washington University - St. Louis
Cornell University
University of Pennslyvania
Mayo Medical School

"Awesome Schools"
Emory University
Northwestern University
University of Chicago
Boston University
University of Michigan
Dartmouth
New York University
Case Western Reserve
Ohio State University
University of Pittsburgh

"Please Get In Schools..."
Georgetown University
Loyola University
Rush Medical College
Indiana University (In-State)
Wake Forest University
University of Illinois
University of Cincinnati

your a stellar applicant your awesome you'll probably get into all those schools

any other advice on the way I approached the process?

particularly good number of "reach", "very good", "safer" schools?

thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
there is a reason why this page has been viewed 79 times and only responded to twice (including me).

some people like to use: 25% reach, 50% target, 25% "safety".

Based on your other post, seems like you just need to do well on the MCAT and definitely get clinical experience. I see you're going to do some physician shadowing, which is good, but you should find a way to get direct patient contact. Other than that, you have a ton of stuff that sounds great.

michaeltoole said:
any other advice on the way I approached the process?

particularly good number of "reach", "very good", "safer" schools?

thanks

dude, you still have a year and you don't know your MCAT, there is no one on this site that can help you cut your list of schools down this early. Why do you even have a list?