List of school that accepts Canadians

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allthaticanbe

Canadian
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a list of schools that accept Canadians? Because I want to start looking at pre-reqs, loans and etc.

Members don't see this ad.

this is the best way.
order the MSAR (medical school admissions requirements) from the aamc off their website. look through all the schools, note all the ones that accept internationals (part of the stats on who accepted). these are the schools that accept canadians.

as well, do a search on this site for schools that accept canadians,

also google 'premed 101' and a canadian site like this will come up, and there is a section on u.s. schools.

That 4paw!

.....By the way cool name.

Members don't see this ad :)
http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19065
Here's a list. Note that some schools claim they accept Canadians but don't do it on a regular basis. UCSF pops to mind, having accepted an phenomenal number of 1 international student (a Brit) in the past decade.

Why the interest in American Med schools?
There are schools that take Canadians but you have to be a US resident or citizen to get financial aid.

according to pandabear, harvard will accept you.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Why the interest in American Med schools?
There are schools that take Canadians but you have to be a US resident or citizen to get financial aid.
Because it's a million times easier to get into American schools if you have less than a 3.8 GPA than canadian...Canadian schools are very number happy.

A lot of canadians with the money to spare apply ot the US as a back up

edit: oh and I should say it goes the other way too. Here, if you have a 3.95 and a 40 MCAT, you're pretty much guaranteed to get in somewhere...while it seems like in the states people with those stats but nothing else often end up screwed.

Because it's a million times easier to get into American schools if you have less than a 3.8 GPA than canadian...Canadian schools are very number happy.

edit: oh and I should say it goes the other way too. Here, if you have a 3.95 and a 40 MCAT, you're pretty much guaranteed to get in somewhere...while it seems like in the states people with those stats but nothing else often end up screwed.

I've heard Canadian Medical Schools allow you to drop your lowest grade for each semester.

ECs are a lot easier to patch up than GPA and MCAT.

I've heard Canadian Medical Schools allow you to drop your lowest grade for each semester.

that's only uoft, and only if you have taken three 'full' years - i.e. five courses in the fall/winter term.

there are other kinds of strange things - like counting the grades in two full years, or three full years only, only some of the school count all courses ever. and when a school says '3.0' is the cut-off to apply, they're having a big laught, because that's mac, and their entering average for the last couple years has been the highest in canada - 3.9 something, i believe. the others have cutoffs of 3.7 or so?? and that's just the cutoff, not the entering average.

Only a few schools do :oops:

It's very crude, but what's nice is most schools clearly say what the cut offs are. For example UWO this year I think was 3.6, 10/10/10 MCAT - if you meet those, you get an interview. If not, you don't, too bad. Happen to have a 12/14/9 MCAT? Your application is not even read.

Another thing is there are hundreds of schools in the US, here if your first language is english you pretty much have....15 chances. There are far too many applicants for that many schools, that's why they have to rely on numbers so much.

that's only uoft, and only if you have taken three 'full' years - i.e. five courses in the fall/winter term.

there are other kinds of strange things - like counting the grades in two full years, or three full years only, only some of the school count all courses ever. and when a school says '3.0' is the cut-off to apply, they're having a big laught, because that's mac, and their entering average for the last couple years has been the highest in canada - 3.9 something, i believe. the others have cutoffs of 3.7 or so?? and that's just the cutoff, not the entering average.
:thumbup: Yep all true...especially mac since they don't look at your mcat...man this is depressing lol

Yup its more of a back-up plan. :) Thanks for all the help.

Hey,

i am a Canadian who will be going south of the border for med school this year. I am a pretty good applicant, but my first year and ahalf just really sucked and my MCATs are only average. I have only recieved rejections from Ontario. But all is well, I have 4 US interviews and already 1 acceptance. Really for me, I just want to be a doctor I do not mind being trained or living in Canda or US. Schools I heard take a bit on Canucks- Wayne State, a lot of Virginian schools, SUNY Upstate. That's all I really know, but this is how I found this out. i checked out a bunch of there websites in like September to see if they even took Canadians. The n i emeiled them and gave them some of my stats and asked what they thought. many of them gove me real answers like "we only had 1 canadain ot of our class of 150 last year". But don't let that discourage you. Also, not going to lie, if you are a minority, it helps. Oh yah, look for private US MD schools as oppsed to Public, because public schools have to accept in state residents over anyone else, and private do not. So that is my little (actually this looks huge) bit of advice.

I know i'm going to get blasted for this,but I know the private DO schools accept canadians.

And you can be fully licensed in every providence except Saskatchewan. Good enough for me.

I was just at EVMS and there were 2 canadian interviewees there

Speak for yourself, I have a 3.8/37 and didn't even get an interview at UBC. 24.5 out of 25 on academics and a 7.5 out of 25 on extracurriculars, WTF??? Whatever.

I know i'm going to get blasted for this,but I know the private DO schools accept canadians.

And you can be fully licensed in every providence except Saskatchewan. Good enough for me.

blast...on the real though...i think many US schools are willing to accept canadians...the catch is they have to be able to provide their own financing because they cant get loans from the US govt

Speak for yourself, I have a 3.8/37 and didn't even get an interview at UBC. 24.5 out of 25 on academics and a 7.5 out of 25 on extracurriculars, WTF??? Whatever.
Well I'm guessing you're american from your mdapps.....and you applied to UBC? Which rarely takes out of province kids let alone internationals? :confused:

I am very willing to switch my UBC interview for your Mayo acceptance + fullride. Wanna trade?:D :D :D :D

Well I'm guessing you're american from your mdapps.....and you applied to UBC? Which rarely takes out of province kids let alone internationals? :confused:

I'm a dual citizen = out of province for UBC's purposes. All my extended family lives in SK and BC.

There's one Canadian citizen in my med school class, but she did her undergrad in the states (so was obviously a resident) and had to pay her entire 4-year tuition up front before first year started. That is quite the loan.

There's one Canadian citizen in my med school class, but she did her undergrad in the states (so was obviously a resident) and had to pay her entire 4-year tuition up front before first year started. That is quite the loan.

lol, this gives me ideas...:eek: :eek: :eek: