1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

List of school that accepts Canadians

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by allthaticanbe, Mar 3, 2007.

1. allthaticanbe

allthaticanbe Canadian
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Is there a list of schools that accept Canadians? Because I want to start looking at pre-reqs, loans and etc.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 4paw

4paw Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    this is the best way.
    order the MSAR (medical school admissions requirements) from the aamc off their website. look through all the schools, note all the ones that accept internationals (part of the stats on who accepted). these are the schools that accept canadians.

as well, do a search on this site for schools that accept canadians,

also google 'premed 101' and a canadian site like this will come up, and there is a section on u.s. schools.

4. allthaticanbe

allthaticanbe Canadian
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    That 4paw!

.....By the way cool name.

5. omegaxx

omegaxx New Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19065
    Here's a list. Note that some schools claim they accept Canadians but don't do it on a regular basis. UCSF pops to mind, having accepted an phenomenal number of 1 international student (a Brit) in the past decade.

6. IWant2BeADoctor

IWant2BeADoctor License to Matriculate
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Why the interest in American Med schools?
    There are schools that take Canadians but you have to be a US resident or citizen to get financial aid.

7. inside_edition

inside_edition Waitlisted Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    according to pandabear, harvard will accept you.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

8. stixx

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Because it's a million times easier to get into American schools if you have less than a 3.8 GPA than canadian...Canadian schools are very number happy.

A lot of canadians with the money to spare apply ot the US as a back up

edit: oh and I should say it goes the other way too. Here, if you have a 3.95 and a 40 MCAT, you're pretty much guaranteed to get in somewhere...while it seems like in the states people with those stats but nothing else often end up screwed.

9. IWant2BeADoctor

IWant2BeADoctor License to Matriculate
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I've heard Canadian Medical Schools allow you to drop your lowest grade for each semester.

ECs are a lot easier to patch up than GPA and MCAT.

10. 4paw

4paw Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    that's only uoft, and only if you have taken three 'full' years - i.e. five courses in the fall/winter term.

there are other kinds of strange things - like counting the grades in two full years, or three full years only, only some of the school count all courses ever. and when a school says '3.0' is the cut-off to apply, they're having a big laught, because that's mac, and their entering average for the last couple years has been the highest in canada - 3.9 something, i believe. the others have cutoffs of 3.7 or so?? and that's just the cutoff, not the entering average.

11. stixx

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Only a few schools do :oops:

It's very crude, but what's nice is most schools clearly say what the cut offs are. For example UWO this year I think was 3.6, 10/10/10 MCAT - if you meet those, you get an interview. If not, you don't, too bad. Happen to have a 12/14/9 MCAT? Your application is not even read.

Another thing is there are hundreds of schools in the US, here if your first language is english you pretty much have....15 chances. There are far too many applicants for that many schools, that's why they have to rely on numbers so much.

12. stixx

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    :thumbup: Yep all true...especially mac since they don't look at your mcat...man this is depressing lol

13. allthaticanbe

allthaticanbe Canadian
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yup its more of a back-up plan. :) Thanks for all the help.

14. senioritaelena

senioritaelena Let's go
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey,

i am a Canadian who will be going south of the border for med school this year. I am a pretty good applicant, but my first year and ahalf just really sucked and my MCATs are only average. I have only recieved rejections from Ontario. But all is well, I have 4 US interviews and already 1 acceptance. Really for me, I just want to be a doctor I do not mind being trained or living in Canda or US. Schools I heard take a bit on Canucks- Wayne State, a lot of Virginian schools, SUNY Upstate. That's all I really know, but this is how I found this out. i checked out a bunch of there websites in like September to see if they even took Canadians. The n i emeiled them and gave them some of my stats and asked what they thought. many of them gove me real answers like "we only had 1 canadain ot of our class of 150 last year". But don't let that discourage you. Also, not going to lie, if you are a minority, it helps. Oh yah, look for private US MD schools as oppsed to Public, because public schools have to accept in state residents over anyone else, and private do not. So that is my little (actually this looks huge) bit of advice.

15. Toohotinvegas33

Toohotinvegas33 Currently Glasgow 3
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I know i'm going to get blasted for this,but I know the private DO schools accept canadians.

And you can be fully licensed in every providence except Saskatchewan. Good enough for me.

16. ExKitty Doctor

ExKitty Doctor Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I was just at EVMS and there were 2 canadian interviewees there

17. NovemberWhiskey

NovemberWhiskey Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Speak for yourself, I have a 3.8/37 and didn't even get an interview at UBC. 24.5 out of 25 on academics and a 7.5 out of 25 on extracurriculars, WTF??? Whatever.

18. Falco2525

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    blast...on the real though...i think many US schools are willing to accept canadians...the catch is they have to be able to provide their own financing because they cant get loans from the US govt

19. stixx

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Well I'm guessing you're american from your mdapps.....and you applied to UBC? Which rarely takes out of province kids let alone internationals? :confused:

20. omegaxx

omegaxx New Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I am very willing to switch my UBC interview for your Mayo acceptance + fullride. Wanna trade?:D :D :D :D

21. NovemberWhiskey

NovemberWhiskey Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

I'm a dual citizen = out of province for UBC's purposes. All my extended family lives in SK and BC.

22. MrBurns10

MrBurns10 Excellent, Smithers
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    There's one Canadian citizen in my med school class, but she did her undergrad in the states (so was obviously a resident) and had to pay her entire 4-year tuition up front before first year started. That is quite the loan.

23. inside_edition

inside_edition Waitlisted Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    lol, this gives me ideas...:eek: :eek: :eek: