1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

list of schools applying to - eeek :/

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by flycd05, May 14, 2008.

1. flycd05

5+ Year Member

ok so here are my stats...i'm gonna retake the dat in midjuly again and i'm shooting for a minimum of 20 in each section..

gpa 3.15, science gpa 3.1
    dats 17aa, 18ts, 17 pat

4 years of dental assisting, x-ray certified
    lots of orgs and extracurriculars

i'm a PA resident so I'm hoping i'll get an interview from temple?

temple univ.
    pittsburgh univ.
    upenn (depending on dat retake?)
    uconn
    univ. of maryland
    umdnj
    vcu
    nyu
    boston univ.
    tufts univ.
    nova maybe??
    howard univ.
    columbia (maybe, im thinking of applying anyways and maybe they'll focus on my dat retake)

I don't know if any cali schools will look at my application (usc, ucsf?) because i've heard that they give a lot of preference to instate residents so should i even bother?

if anyone has any suggestions, add/delete schools, i would REALLY appreciate it!

i'm preparing myself to not get in this cycle but im gonna give it a shot and see what happens.

2. SugarNaCl

SugarNaCl Dental Student
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Dentist
    Looks good if you get a 20+ on your DATs. I don't think I'd bother applying to CA because it seems even the instate applicants are often rejected. There are just too many people there, but do what you want. This BIG CHANGE I'd make is NEVER apply to Howard unless you are black or hispanic or have a connection. It is an ABSOLUTE waste of time IMO. Their stats don't make them a safety school, they make them a minority school... I think the school was something like 89% minority or more. If you are white, I doubt you stand a chance. Other than that I don't know Temple's story...or anything about the school, but they are private so I'm not really sure they give PA residents preference as a public school might. I may be wrong on that though. Good luck.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. robg

robg Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I would apply to USC and drop Howard, I'm a hispanic myself with desent stats and have been rejected by them twice while other schools have given me interviews.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. flycd05

5+ Year Member

thanks for those you above! :)

anyone have any other suggestions?

5. blankguy

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I would expand on your list. Add Case, Detroit Mercy, and SUNY-BUffalo.
    SUNY Buffalo is a particularly out of state friendly state school. I think about a third of the class is out of state, it doesn't hurt to try them. Other than that go by what others have posted and good luck with the DAT. Remember you only need 1 acceptance.

6. TheWiredNerv

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I would drop UConn. They accept 1 or 2 out of state residents if that. If you really want to go there then keep it on. Who knows what the outcome might be?

7. sharpie88

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Go ahead and apply to USC, I'm an out of state resident from South Carolina with similar stats and got an interview there. Still on waitlist though, good luck!

8. flycd05

5+ Year Member

how's UoP? should i give it a shot with my stats? or do they favor instate cali kids a lot?

9. La Dentista

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Someone correct me if I am off but,

I think Nova tends to be a little gpa-oriented. Average is 3.5 -3.6
    Might be a waste of $, again someone correct me if I am wrong.