List of Schools that only require 90 credit hours (3 yrs undergrad) to matriculate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspirationisperspiration

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is not guaranteed to be a complete or accurate list. Just wanted to provide for future reference. Will add if necessary. These are only MDs.
I might have accidentally included some ones that want 90 hours at the time of application, not matriculation.
If you know better on one of these schools, feel free to call it out in the forum, just no nasty comments please.
I am sure that Weill has no year/credit requirements before matriculating or applying, but due to the required coursework it would probably be 2~3 years before matriculating.
If you are wondering how I found this list, I went through the top 50 medical schools ranks on start class and looked up the requirements on their websites. (Yes, looked up 50 websites. That's why only 50. And why only MD.)
Don't criticize me on trying to go to med school early, blah, blah, blah. I just have weird moments and I bet someone was asking a similar question. Hopefully, I'll save them Googling time I wasted. LOL. I've also included notes I jotted down near these names. Not sure if they are useful or not.
Here goes.
1. Weill Cornell (I know I'm right on this one. http://weill.cornell.edu/education/admissions/app_req.html )
2. UCSF
3. UC Davis, bonus, Primary Care Track (or something like that) can be applied to in order to have 3 yr med.
4. University of Michigan? (Kinda shady on their website; really suspect I'm wrong.)
5. UChicago
6. Washington University of St. Louis
7. UCSD (says 3yr expected?)
8. Baylor
9. Dartmouth
10. UT Southwestern
11. Columbia
12. Rochester
13. Yale
14. OSU
15. Emory (500 MCAT cut off)
16.University of Maryland
17. Indiana University
18. University of Alabama Birmingham (MCAT 492 min)
19. Icahn Mount Sinai
20. University of Nebraska
21. Albert Einstein Yeshiva (some people there are wary of physician shadowing)
22. UC Irvine
23. Wake Forest

Members don't see this ad.

All of them, I'm pretty sure? Because I graduated in three years and applied without considering this and no issues arose.

Reactions: 1 users
All of them, I'm pretty sure? Because I graduated in three years and applied without considering this and no issues arose.

I think he is talking about matriculating with 90 credit hours but no bachelors degree. Oddly enough, UCSF and Weill allow this, so I would imagine others do too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was unaware any medical school would allow you to matriculate without a bachelors. I'm fairly certain wake, for example, will only allow you to matriculate without graduating if you're coming from their own undergrad through a pathway program.

I know for a fact Emory won't let you matriculate you without graduating undergrad

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, I'm talking about applying and matriculating before graduating.
Ok in this case, realistically none. Even if the website doesn't explicitly say you need a bachelor's degree, you really need a bachelors to not have your app trashed in the first 5 seconds.

I was unaware any medical school would allow you to matriculate without a bachelors. I'm fairly certain wake, for example, will only allow you to matriculate without graduating if you're coming from their own undergrad through a pathway program.

I know for a fact Emory won't let you matriculate you without graduating undergrad
I'm wondering if that's true for WUSTL also, since they have a program like that.
Could you clarify how you got that info on Emory? I'm not sure about your mention on Emory, simply because they said "bachelor's preferred" on there website on application requirements. Does that mean that would rather you have graduated and already had a gap year before applying? I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

Ok in this case, realistically none. Even if the website doesn't explicitly say you need a bachelor's degree, you really need a bachelors to not have your app trashed in the first 5 seconds.
I pretty sure its not 5 seconds, but I get your point. However, I'm pretty sure places like Weill Cornell want the geniuses who can understand science on their own to come to them. If you look at Weill Cornell's admission class statistics, they had people as young as 19 matriculated.

If you look at Weill Cornell's admission class statistics, they had people as young as 19 matriculated.
Doesn't mean they didn't graduate college. Yo Shano went to medical school at age 13, and even he needed a bachelors degree.

But hey, if you really want to try applying without the intention of graduating college, be my guest. It won't work though.

I came in here to explain that this is the case.

According to University of Cincinnati's website, "A baccalaureate degree is preferred but not required" for admission.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm wondering if that's true for WUSTL also, since they have a program like that.
Could you clarify how you got that info on Emory? I'm not sure about your mention on Emory, simply because they said "bachelor's preferred" on there website on application requirements. Does that mean that would rather you have graduated and already had a gap year before applying? I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

After checking the Emory web site it does seem to say that they only "prefer" that you complete you bachelor's.

However, all medical schools have a clause in their admission agreement that they expect you to complete the degree you are currently working on prior to matriculation. They will not allow you to simply drop out of your undergrad after three years and enter med school without a bachelors.

I believe that "preferred" statement refers to some odd situation involving someone who left college years ago without graduating. Also while they may say in theory it isn't required, I'd wager they've never matriculated someone without a bachelors. Just like they've probably never matriculated someone with a 501 MCAT, even though it is technically allowed.

TL;DR you will not be going to med school without a bachelors

I'd wager they've never matriculated someone without a bachelors. Just like they've probably never matriculated someone with a 501 MCAT, even though it is technically allowed.

TL;DR you will not be going to med school without a bachelors
Actually, there ARE exceptions: For example, you are forgetting that those applying with a PharmD often attended 6-year programs that did not award a bachelors degree. These applicants are good candidates for consideration despite the lack of an undergrad degree.

To throw out anecdotal evidence, I believe Rand Paul dropped out of his undergrad after he was accepted into medical school at Duke.

I think that really is the only type of case where you'd really be able to pull it (outside of the PharmD example)

Actually, there ARE exceptions: For example, you are forgetting that those applying with a PharmD often attended 6-year programs that did not award a bachelors degree. These applicants are good candidates for consideration despite the lack of an undergrad degree.

That makes sense, but I don't that that's what OP is referring to. He intends to not complete any degree, apply to medical school as a sophomore, and matriculate at the end of his junior year without completing his bachelors. That is, of course, ludicrous.

Doesn't mean they didn't graduate college. Yo Shano went to medical school at age 13, and even he needed a bachelors degree.

But hey, if you really want to try applying without the intention of graduating college, be my guest. It won't work though.
Actually, I read that they won't allow that any more in the United States. They don't want people to be licensed doctors before 21, so the youngest they will admit is 17.

Thank you for providing this info. If you add up the numbers you get incoming class : 106 number with a bachelors degree : 106
The website link I provided does not say that. Don't say things without checking. Provide a different link if you think I'm wrong. I did my research and I cited my sources.

To throw out anecdotal evidence, I believe Rand Paul dropped out of his undergrad after he was accepted into medical school at Duke.

I think that really is the only type of case where you'd really be able to pull it (outside of the PharmD example)
Duke no longer allows that though. I did check their website. I would like to know where you got the info that Rand Paul did that. Sounds interesting.

That makes sense, but I don't that that's what OP is referring to. He intends to not complete any degree, apply to medical school as a sophomore, and matriculate at the end of his junior year without completing his bachelors. That is, of course, ludicrous.

If you read my opening post carefully, that is not my intention. And by the way, I'm a she (chromosomes XX). I'm not intending to leave college early when it is paid for and I get to do research free.

The 90 credit hour rule is primarily in place to allow students to apply at the end of their junior year. Since some students will be admitted in the fall of their senior year, 90 credits will be all they have earned by that point. Most schools will not accept an application without 90 credits completed. I have applicants routinely rejected or needing to apply later in the cycle because of this. As was pointed out above, virtually all medical schools require you to complete current academic degree prior to matriculation. Know the difference! Many have specific stated policies that allow exception, such as links BS/MD programs, to this rule. While the technical implication of this could allow non-degree holders become matriculated, the reality is that this is an exceedingly rare situation. It is certainly less than 1 student per school per year or under 150 matriculants aggregate, which would make under about 0.7% of all matriculants at the most. Conversely, at some of the ivys, 20%-30% of the starting class have graduate degrees. If you read the below links, which are literally the first 5 that came up in google, note them carefully about admissions (or being admitted) versus matriculation.

https://www.amc.edu/academic/Undergraduate_Admissions/
The requirements for admission to Albany Medical College's first year class are as follows: Successful completion of a minimum three years college work (90 semester hours or 135 quarter hours of credit) completed in an accredited college or university...

http://admissions.med.miami.edu/md-programs/general-md/prerequisites
The University of Miami Miller School of Medicine accepts students who have completed a minimum of 90 semester hours of college work...

https://pritzker.uchicago.edu/admissions/requirements/
Applicants must have completed 90 credit hours (using the AMCAS methodology) prior to matriculation from an accredited four-year degree-granting U.S. or Canadian college or university. A baccalaureate degree is not required but is strongly preferred by the Admissions Committee.

http://sls.downstate.edu/admissions/com/requirements.html
Admissions Requirements
You must have completed at least 90 semester credits of study from a college or university...

http://medicine.nevada.edu/admissions/admissions/applicants/selection-factors/course-requirements
Admissions
...[a] minimum of three years of college work (90 semester hours) are required. Most successful applicants complete their bachelor's degree requirements before starting medical school.

Some of those I did not list because I read through the details. Some I didn't look up. If you pay close attention to the UChicago, would that mean a baccalaureate is preferred before applying? That would mean mostly or only people who take a gap year would be accepted.
The 90 credit hour requirement may be interpreted the way you stated or not.
I believe colleges word these this way to keep those who are not confident to not apply. I mean if someone has a 528 before their Junior year, they will be bored enough to look up and go ahead and apply, so why discourage them to apply or look into your school?
Maybe you get the picture.

Thank you all by the way for contributing to this post. This is a discussion that can be confusing to Premeds trying to apply to medical colleges, and I believe this conversation is fruitful for new students. I found SDN through Google so perhaps this conversation will answer some questions.

There are a lot of schools that allow it and if you're a reasonable candidate it's not impossible to garner an admission. Improbable? Yeah, but I went to med school with a couple of people who did not have their Bachelor's.

The thing is, most people benefit from having an extra year to build their resume. The people who manage to enter without a degree are applying in fall of their junior year...they're operating with only 2 years worth of time for research/leadership/extracurriculars. If you've managed to create a med school ready CV by that point, they're going to be even more polished after another year and have the chance to really improve their odds when they won't have this unusual asterisk on their application.

The group who probably benefit the most (or at least should) from this lack of needing a degree are non-traditional students who for one reason or another didn't go to college out of high school. I'm willing to bet that most ad coms would agree with that sentiment if pressed.

There are a lot of schools that allow it and if you're a reasonable candidate it's not impossible to garner an admission. Improbable? Yeah, but I went to med school with a couple of people who did not have their Bachelor's.

The thing is, most people benefit from having an extra year to build their resume. The people who manage to enter without a degree are applying in fall of their junior year...they're operating with only 2 years worth of time for research/leadership/extracurriculars. If you've managed to create a med school ready CV by that point, they're going to be even more polished after another year and have the chance to really improve their odds when they won't have this unusual asterisk on their application.

The group who probably benefit the most (or at least should) from this lack of needing a degree are non-traditional students who for one reason or another didn't go to college out of high school. I'm willing to bet that most ad coms would agree with that sentiment if pressed.

I agree with you. That's why I would prefer to finish my bachelor's before entering med school. I really am interested in research and would love time to do more and gain more skills. I want to get some more shadowing experience, some more volunteer hours, and maybe a job in a hospital. 4 years of undergrad provides plenty of that. 3 years is a little tight.

Maybe you should get the picture. I write this from decades as a retired professional in admissions and advising. The Priztker link was put in to see the specific difference in language of admissions versus matriculation. You want to improve your critical analysis prior to attempting MCAT and CARS. And by you posting information without verifying it or providing links and understanding the nuances that are, at best, misleading to premeds by making something seem an early path to medicine, which, in fact, is a very small probability.

The 90 credit rule is specifically designed to allow college juniors to apply to medical school and thus be admitted during their senior year. It is development comes from the 1910 Flexnor report that led to the premedical curriculum and prerequisites that have been common for the last century. There two years of college were recommended. Thru the 1960s and 1970s most schools still had no formal policies on degree requirements. Additionally, some medical schools were commonly pulling outstanding students from their associated undergraduate institutions or from schools they had strong relationships, especially in the Northeast. particularly at the Ivies. Conversely, some undergraduate institutions referred their students medical schools early. Columbia University was well-known for both. As the AAMC started to starting recommending association-wide admissions guidelines and centralizing application services, these activities were frowned upon. So in the late 1970s and early 1980s, the 90 credit guideline was instituted as way to standardized applicants. Since AAMC cant control the admissions policy, it centralization of applications acted as the "pressure" to most schools on this. Some schools, such as Brown, didnt give in until about a decade ago when it still had formal "quota" policies and agreements that only allowed students from a small, select group of schools to apply to its own medical school.

Maybe you know more. Who am I to judge? However, just from the posts on this thread, others have seen the few cases (quite a "few" times) where people took advantage of these wordings to get in early. I was just listing the universities who from my reading and understanding gave wording that could allow for a "loophole" if you will call it that. Personally, I know a lawyer who discusses how people write things with loopholes to allow themselves a back door. Just to put it this way: If a school really decides they want a quality student early, they have the option to do so.

Yes, I'm talking about applying and matriculating before graduating.

If you read my opening post carefully, that is not my intention. And by the way, I'm a she (chromosomes XX). I'm not intending to leave college early when it is paid for and I get to do research free.

You directly contradict yourself. So what do you plan to do?

The website link I provided does not say that. Don't say things without checking. Provide a different link if you think I'm wrong. I did my research and I cited my sources.

It does say 106 have degrees. 61+36+9=106

Look say whatever you want about loopholes, legal parlance, or whatever. Medical schools don't take people who don't have a previous degree.

Oh and please tell me how taking the MCAT as a sophomore and getting a 528 goes lol.

You directly contradict yourself. So what do you plan to do?

It does say 106 have degrees. 61+36+9=106

Look say whatever you want about loopholes, legal parlance, or whatever. Medical schools don't take people who don't have a previous degree.

Oh and please tell me how taking the MCAT as a sophomore and getting a 528 goes lol.
Thanks a lot for being sarcastic. Read the opening post. Talking about matriculating into med before graduating does not directly imply "me" attempting that.

For all future readers/posters, please stop being a critic unless you have something useful to say. I just am a curious kitten (kitten because curiousity killed the cat) who has weird questions and wants answers.

For the Weill Cornell issue, hey, I have a major, and I have a GPA, that doesn't mean I graduated yet.

So you've just compiled this list out of the goodness of your heart? About something that is so stupid that you don't even intend to do it?