List of Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ihateorgo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm fairly lost in making up my school list and I was wondering how a few things looked on an application.

I have a BS in Neuroscience with a 3.66 GPA from UIC. I ended up with a 30 on the MCAT (12v, 8 ps, 10 bs). I have LORs from science profs, MD's, and DO's (I think I want to take the DO route after shadowing a pediatrician and looking more into it). I am set up to retake the mcat May 31st, but I was wondering if it was necessary (not going to lie, my physics grades were A's...but my PS -.-). I am getting a 31 average on my practice mcats, but that is no guarantee.

200 hours shadowing a gastroenterologist
100 hours shadowing a pediatrician (DO)
100 hours shadowing a pediatrician (MD)
30 hours shadowing a podiatrist
I regularly shadowed over 20 types of doctors via the pre-med program at my school.

I was the treasurer of a pre-med club at UIC. I have worked over a year and a half as a CNA and for an ophthalmologist. I worked in a memory care nursing home for 3 months. I manage my own small business (how does this look/is it worth putting down on applications?) and have had it since the age of 16. I also have a large blog (more than one million unique pageviews) promoting literacy and diversity in reading. I have over 100 of my review excerpts in traditionally published books.

I have over 12 years of weekly volunteering experience at a local nursing home, 6 years from my church, and 3 years from my local library. I formed a literacy program for an marginalized/at risk school in Chicago and *might* be getting them funds for their programs (fingers crossed)! I traveled to over 6 schools in Chicago to give lectures based around health (std's, obesity, etc...). I did 3 years of undergraduate research in a neuroscience lab and won a research award/money for it. I was a science/math tutor for 2 years in the Honors college at my university. I speak Spanish at a communicative level (good enough for regular use). My GPA shows a 4.0 the first two years and then a strong upward trend (had trouble in orgo third year).

I did withdraw from 2 classes (both organic) but did not receive a grade for those classes. How much will my PS score hurt me?

My school list so far:
UIC
Rush
Southern (home is south of I 80)
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
University of Iowa (one of my LORs helped found the school and suggested applying-I'm not sure because it does not look OOS friendly)
University of Wisconsin
University of Alaska

DO:
Midwestern
DMU-COM

<- do I have a good chance at most DO schools? Do most exclude OOS applicants? Is it worth it to apply to MD with my PS without retaking? I know my list is lacking; I am having a hard time choosing OOS schools to apply to when they seem to accept <15% OOS applicants. Are my chances of getting in decent? Should I focus my essay more on the disadvantaged populations I've been helping with books or stick to my hospital/nursing home experience?Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
***and I was wondering if I should include a planned volunteering trip to Tanzania in July?

Members don't see this ad :)
You're right...I meant University of Washington (the one with the agreement with Alaska) . They said there is an opportunity to pay off debt if a physician promises to reside in Alaska and practice. **lived in Idaho previously, but does it not matter if I've been living with a residency in IL?

Is the MSAR searchable by GPA/MCAT? That list of schools was given to me by my counselor...but it doesn't seem big enough

Is the MSAR searchable by GPA/MCAT? That list of schools was given to me by my counselor...but it doesn't seem big enough
You are right. There are plenty of schools you should add that are not included in your list. I agree that at least 4 of them are good choices for you and the others aren't bad. In other words, it's good start.
This your career. Your research will pay dividends (and hopefully spare you another MCAT!)

Last edited by a moderator: