List of things (diseases, drugs, etc) that's easily confused while studying for USMLE

Tan Son Nhat

Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2002
48
0
    I was doing some questions today and I had a few questions that made me confused because the names of the disease or drug looked so similiar. I was hoping to start a thread of items that's confusing and easily mixed up with so we can have a heads up when we see it..

    I'll start with this question where we should know these drugs..

    1. amiloride
    2. amiodarone
    3. amrinone

    You know what I'm talking about now?

    1. K+ sparing diuretic
    2. antirhymthic class III (K+ channel blocker)
    3. inhibit PDE for CHF.
     

    kpax18

    almost there
    7+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Oct 25, 2002
    301
    0
    somewhere
      Tan Son Nhat said:
      I was doing some questions today and I had a few questions that made me confused because the names of the disease or drug looked so similiar. I was hoping to start a thread of items that's confusing and easily mixed up with so we can have a heads up when we see it..

      I'll start with this question where we should know these drugs..

      1. amiloride
      2. amiodarone
      3. amrinone

      You know what I'm talking about now?

      1. K+ sparing diuretic
      2. antirhymthic class III (K+ channel blocker)
      3. inhibit PDE for CHF.

      condyloma lata - associated with syphilis
      condyloma acuminata - associated with HPV


      btw, Amiodarone is also class IA
       

      streetdoc

      Senior Member
      10+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      May 14, 2002
      694
      7
      The Tundra
      1. Attending Physician
        kpax18 said:
        condyloma lata - associated with syphilis
        condyloma acuminata - associated with HPV

        with my infinite wisdom of pharm...amrinone has undergone a name change to INamnirone...too many mix up inthe clinics

        how is Amiodarone a class IA???? (procainamide, Quinadine...no remember AMIodarone)


        streetdoc
         
        About the Ads

        Pox in a box

        1K Member
        10+ Year Member
        Jan 8, 2005
        1,345
        1
          hossofadoc said:
          Yeah, Amiodarone is a class III, even though it has properties of all the classes.

          It was not taught as a class IA drug to me. It's mechanism isn't purely K+ channel blocking either.

          Amiodarone (I GUARANTEE you it will be called this on the exam. I have no idea where the previous poster got the information it has been changed) prolongs the action potential duration and refractory period in myocardial cells. It acts as a noncompetitive inhibitor of alpha- and beta-adrenergic receptors.

          Remember that it's excreted in the bile and some enterohepatic circulation can occur. It's metabolite (by CYP3A4) is also active!
           

          streetdoc

          Senior Member
          10+ Year Member
          15+ Year Member
          May 14, 2002
          694
          7
          The Tundra
          1. Attending Physician
            Pox in a box said:
            It was not taught as a class IA drug to me. It's mechanism isn't purely K+ channel blocking either.

            Amiodarone (I GUARANTEE you it will be called this on the exam. I have no idea where the previous poster got the information it has been changed) prolongs the action potential duration and refractory period in myocardial cells. It acts as a noncompetitive inhibitor of alpha- and beta-adrenergic receptors.

            Remember that it's excreted in the bile and some enterohepatic circulation can occur. It's metabolite (by CYP3A4) is also active!

            i wrote of AMRINONE - the PDE 3 inhibitor for CHF - NOW called INamrinone
            clearly the name change was warrented for this exact reason!
            even though amrinone was used in the clinics first, it's name changed because of the popularity of AMIODARONE (aka liquid gold due to it's high price when first released). anyway, hope that helps and not confuses.
            streetdoc
             

            USFOptho

            Senior Member
            7+ Year Member
            15+ Year Member
            Feb 15, 2004
            127
            1
              streetdoc said:
              i wrote of AMRINONE - the PDE 3 inhibitor for CHF - NOW called INamrinone
              clearly the name change was warrented for this exact reason!
              even though amrinone was used in the clinics first, it's name changed because of the popularity of AMIODARONE (aka liquid gold due to it's high price when first released). anyway, hope that helps and not confuses.
              streetdoc


              amiodorone is class Ia and III.

              Class Ia: Queen Amy Proclaims Diso's pyramide (FA Pneumonic)
              Class III: When giving amiodorane, check LFTS, TFTs, etc.. (FA Pneumo)
               

              kpax18

              almost there
              7+ Year Member
              15+ Year Member
              Oct 25, 2002
              301
              0
              somewhere
                streetdoc said:
                kpax18 said:
                condyloma lata - associated with syphilis
                condyloma acuminata - associated with HPV

                with my infinite wisdom of pharm...amrinone has undergone a name change to INamnirone...too many mix up inthe clinics

                how is Amiodarone a class IA???? (procainamide, Quinadine...no remember AMIodarone)


                streetdoc

                FA 2005 p 316-317
                i suppose its redundant since the above poster already mentioned
                 

                Tan Son Nhat

                Member
                10+ Year Member
                15+ Year Member
                Feb 4, 2002
                48
                0
                  I think this tread this useful.. Here's another one I ran into..

                  1. Reiter's syndrome
                  2. Reye's syndrome
                  3. Rett's syndrome


                  1. classic triad of arthritis, nongonococcal urethritis, and conjunctivitis.
                  2. encephalitis-like illness in children after a viral infection when treated with aspirin.
                  3. childhood developmental disorder characterized by normal early development followed by regression.
                   

                  Doc Ivy

                  Miss Understood
                  7+ Year Member
                  15+ Year Member
                  Mar 20, 2003
                  839
                  2
                  Seattle
                  1. Resident [Any Field]
                    Tan Son Nhat said:
                    I think this tread this useful.. Here's another one I ran into..

                    1. Reiter's syndrome
                    2. Reye's syndrome
                    3. Rett's syndrome


                    1. classic triad of arthritis, nongonococcal urethritis, and conjunctivitis.
                    2. encephalitis-like illness in children after a viral infection when treated with aspirin.
                    3. childhood developmental disorder characterized by normal early development followed by regression.

                    Remember Rett's is ONLY in girls :thumbup:
                     

                    Stinger86

                    Intern year? Ha!
                    7+ Year Member
                    15+ Year Member
                    Aug 15, 2003
                    828
                    4
                    Palookaville
                    1. Fellow [Any Field]
                      Tan Son Nhat said:
                      I was doing some questions today and I had a few questions that made me confused because the names of the disease or drug looked so similiar. I was hoping to start a thread of items that's confusing and easily mixed up with so we can have a heads up when we see it..

                      I'll start with this question where we should know these drugs..

                      1. amiloride
                      2. amiodarone
                      3. amrinone


                      Don't forget

                      4. amlodipine
                       
                      About the Ads

                      allylz

                      Member
                      10+ Year Member
                      5+ Year Member
                      Jun 8, 2005
                      152
                      2
                      Pennsyltucky
                        Mumpu said:
                        Clozapine, clonidine, chlorpromazine, carbamezepine.

                        Tranylcypromine which is a MAOI with a TCA name.

                        ok so let me see if i can get this:
                        1. clozapine: atypical antipsychotic, 5HT/DA blocker
                        2. clonidine: central alpha agonist
                        3. chlorpromazine: typical antipsychotic, blocking D2
                        4. carbamazepine: antiepileptic, monitor LFTS

                        AND 5. clomipramine: which is a TCA, blocking NE/5HT uptake!

                        it's very hard to simplify it beyond that except they all affect the nervous system! psychiatric drugs are hard!
                         

                        bulletproof

                        some dude...
                        10+ Year Member
                        7+ Year Member
                        Jan 25, 2005
                        429
                        1
                        at large
                        1. Non-Student
                          allylz said:
                          ok so let me see if i can get this:
                          1. clozapine: atypical antipsychotic, 5HT/DA blocker
                          2. clonidine: central alpha agonist
                          3. chlorpromazine: typical antipsychotic, blocking D2
                          4. carbamazepine: antiepileptic, monitor LFTS

                          AND 5. clomipramine: which is a TCA, blocking NE/5HT uptake!

                          it's very hard to simplify it beyond that except they all affect the nervous system psychiatric drugs are hard!

                          Great thread guys!, just to add Carbamezepine is also used in the treatment of trigeminal neuralgia....D.O.C I believe.
                           

                          allylz

                          Member
                          10+ Year Member
                          5+ Year Member
                          Jun 8, 2005
                          152
                          2
                          Pennsyltucky
                            i got another one for you!

                            meniere's disease = swelling/rupture of membranous labyrinth (increased endolymph) leading to tinnitus, vertigo, deafness

                            meneTRiere's disease = hyperplasia of mucous secreting cells causing protein wasting, giant rugal folds due to hypertrophy, causes atrophic parietal cells (achlorhydria) and increased risk of adenocarcinoma
                             

                            idq1i

                            Full Member
                            Army
                            Apr 5, 2003
                            3,688
                            128
                            Peoples's Democratic Republic of NY
                            1. Attending Physician
                              allylz said:
                              ok so let me see if i can get this:
                              1. clozapine: atypical antipsychotic, 5HT/DA blocker
                              2. clonidine: central alpha agonist
                              3. chlorpromazine: typical antipsychotic, blocking D2
                              4. carbamazepine: antiepileptic, monitor LFTS

                              AND 5. clomipramine: which is a TCA, blocking NE/5HT uptake!

                              it's very hard to simplify it beyond that except they all affect the nervous system! psychiatric drugs are hard!

                              How about clomiphene? The pro-LH drug.
                               

                              k2md

                              Junior Member
                              10+ Year Member
                              Jun 13, 2005
                              6
                              0
                                "1. clozapine: atypical antipsychotic, 5HT/DA blocker
                                2. clonidine: central alpha agonist
                                3. chlorpromazine: typical antipsychotic, blocking D2
                                4. carbamazepine: antiepileptic, monitor LFTS
                                AND 5. clomipramine: which is a TCA, blocking NE/5HT uptake!"

                                While we're at it...

                                6. Chlorpropamide: sulfonylurea for diabetes, oral hypoglycemic that stimulates endogenous insulin release

                                Awesome thread btw! :)
                                 

                                jojo14

                                living the dream
                                10+ Year Member
                                5+ Year Member
                                Jun 4, 2005
                                152
                                1
                                1. Resident [Any Field]
                                  k2md said:
                                  "1. clozapine: atypical antipsychotic, 5HT/DA blocker
                                  2. clonidine: central alpha agonist
                                  3. chlorpromazine: typical antipsychotic, blocking D2
                                  4. carbamazepine: antiepileptic, monitor LFTS
                                  AND 5. clomipramine: which is a TCA, blocking NE/5HT uptake!"

                                  While we're at it...

                                  6. Chlorpropamide: sulfonylurea for diabetes, oral hypoglycemic that stimulates endogenous insulin release

                                  Awesome thread btw! :)

                                  7. Don't forget clomiphene- fertility drug enhancing FSH secretion
                                   

                                  Flintstone

                                  Member
                                  7+ Year Member
                                  15+ Year Member
                                  Apr 15, 2002
                                  91
                                  0
                                  California
                                    1. Pemphigus Vulgaris
                                    2. Bullous Pemphigoid

                                    1. Serious (often fatal if not tx) autoimmune dz, flaccid bullae often affect oral mucous memb, painful but NOT pruritic; positive Nikolsky's sign (push on bullous, the blister moves laterally). IgG and C3 against epidermis.
                                    2. autoimmume dz, large bullae, pruritic, usually does NOT affect mucous memb; neg Nikolsky's sign. IgG against basement.


                                    More please? :D
                                     

                                    paramed2premed

                                    Senior Member
                                    10+ Year Member
                                    15+ Year Member
                                    Feb 23, 2003
                                    423
                                    9
                                    54
                                    Nutmeg State
                                    1. Attending Physician
                                      Tan Son Nhat said:
                                      Thanks to allylz for adding and following the format! :thumbup:

                                      I got another one today..

                                      1. Pott's disease
                                      2. Potter's disease

                                      1. tuberculosis of the spine
                                      2. oligohydramnios secondary to renal diseases such as bilateral renal agenesis, autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease, etc.


                                      Add in :

                                      3. Pott's fracture
                                      4. Pott's puffy tumor

                                      3. A triad of medial malleolus and fibula fracture, as well as torn anterior tibiofibular ligament, in a forced eversion injury
                                      4. subperiosteal abscess and osteomyelitis of the frontal bone secondary to sinusitis

                                      Of course, eponyms are the low-hanging fruit in this game. Virchow or Cushing anyone?
                                       

                                      d1boobear

                                      New Member
                                      15+ Year Member
                                      Nov 16, 2002
                                      1
                                      0
                                        This is a really helpful post :luck:

                                        Erythema chronicum migrans- associated with Lyme Disease- bullseye lesion

                                        Erythema induratum- uncommon, red slightly tender nodule that ulcerates-seen in teens and post menopausal women

                                        Erythema multiforme- self limited hypersentivity reaction to infection or drugs; multiform target lesions seen

                                        Erythema nodosum- associated with many infections, drugs, sarcoidosis, Inflammatory bowel disease; very tender red nodules on shins

                                        Erythema marginatum- rheumatic fever
                                         
                                        This thread is more than 16 years old.

                                        Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

                                        1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                                        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                                        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                                        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                        7. This thread is locked.