List of things (diseases, drugs, etc) that's easily confused while studying for USMLE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tan Son Nhat

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was doing some questions today and I had a few questions that made me confused because the names of the disease or drug looked so similiar. I was hoping to start a thread of items that's confusing and easily mixed up with so we can have a heads up when we see it..

I'll start with this question where we should know these drugs..

1. amiloride
2. amiodarone
3. amrinone

You know what I'm talking about now?

1. K+ sparing diuretic
2. antirhymthic class III (K+ channel blocker)
3. inhibit PDE for CHF.

Members don't see this ad.

Tan Son Nhat said:
I was doing some questions today and I had a few questions that made me confused because the names of the disease or drug looked so similiar. I was hoping to start a thread of items that's confusing and easily mixed up with so we can have a heads up when we see it..

1. amiloride
2. amiodarone
3. amrinone

You know what I'm talking about now?

1. K+ sparing diuretic
2. antirhymthic class III (K+ channel blocker)
3. inhibit PDE for CHF.

condyloma lata - associated with syphilis
condyloma acuminata - associated with HPV

btw, Amiodarone is also class IA

kpax18 said:

with my infinite wisdom of pharm...amrinone has undergone a name change to INamnirone...too many mix up inthe clinics

how is Amiodarone a class IA???? (procainamide, Quinadine...no remember AMIodarone)

streetdoc

Yeah, Amiodarone is a class III, even though it has properties of all the classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
hossofadoc said:
Yeah, Amiodarone is a class III, even though it has properties of all the classes.

It was not taught as a class IA drug to me. It's mechanism isn't purely K+ channel blocking either.

Amiodarone (I GUARANTEE you it will be called this on the exam. I have no idea where the previous poster got the information it has been changed) prolongs the action potential duration and refractory period in myocardial cells. It acts as a noncompetitive inhibitor of alpha- and beta-adrenergic receptors.

Remember that it's excreted in the bile and some enterohepatic circulation can occur. It's metabolite (by CYP3A4) is also active!

Pox in a box said:
It was not taught as a class IA drug to me. It's mechanism isn't purely K+ channel blocking either.

Amiodarone (I GUARANTEE you it will be called this on the exam. I have no idea where the previous poster got the information it has been changed) prolongs the action potential duration and refractory period in myocardial cells. It acts as a noncompetitive inhibitor of alpha- and beta-adrenergic receptors.

Remember that it's excreted in the bile and some enterohepatic circulation can occur. It's metabolite (by CYP3A4) is also active!

i wrote of AMRINONE - the PDE 3 inhibitor for CHF - NOW called INamrinone
clearly the name change was warrented for this exact reason!
even though amrinone was used in the clinics first, it's name changed because of the popularity of AMIODARONE (aka liquid gold due to it's high price when first released). anyway, hope that helps and not confuses.
streetdoc

streetdoc said:
i wrote of AMRINONE - the PDE 3 inhibitor for CHF - NOW called INamrinone
clearly the name change was warrented for this exact reason!
even though amrinone was used in the clinics first, it's name changed because of the popularity of AMIODARONE (aka liquid gold due to it's high price when first released). anyway, hope that helps and not confuses.
streetdoc

amiodorone is class Ia and III.

Class Ia: Queen Amy Proclaims Diso's pyramide (FA Pneumonic)
Class III: When giving amiodorane, check LFTS, TFTs, etc.. (FA Pneumo)

streetdoc said:
kpax18 said:

with my infinite wisdom of pharm...amrinone has undergone a name change to INamnirone...too many mix up inthe clinics

how is Amiodarone a class IA???? (procainamide, Quinadine...no remember AMIodarone)

streetdoc

FA 2005 p 316-317
i suppose its redundant since the above poster already mentioned

I think this tread this useful.. Here's another one I ran into..

1. Reiter's syndrome
2. Reye's syndrome
3. Rett's syndrome

1. classic triad of arthritis, nongonococcal urethritis, and conjunctivitis.
2. encephalitis-like illness in children after a viral infection when treated with aspirin.
3. childhood developmental disorder characterized by normal early development followed by regression.

FA synthase and FA CoA Synthetase

1. FA synthase used in FA synthesis
2. FA CoA synthetase used in B oxidation of FA

Tan Son Nhat said:
I think this tread this useful.. Here's another one I ran into..

1. Reiter's syndrome
2. Reye's syndrome
3. Rett's syndrome

1. classic triad of arthritis, nongonococcal urethritis, and conjunctivitis.
2. encephalitis-like illness in children after a viral infection when treated with aspirin.
3. childhood developmental disorder characterized by normal early development followed by regression.

Remember Rett's is ONLY in girls :thumbup:

I'm giving this credit to Raptor5 when reading the Official 2005 USMLE High Yield Minutia..

1. Berger's Disease
2. Buerger's Disease

1. IgA nephropathy
2. thromboangiitis obliterans

Tan Son Nhat said:

1. amiloride
2. amiodarone
3. amrinone

Don't forget

4. amlodipine

Clozapine, clonidine, chlorpromazine, carbamezepine.

Tranylcypromine which is a MAOI with a TCA name.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mumpu said:
Clozapine, clonidine, chlorpromazine, carbamezepine.

Tranylcypromine which is a MAOI with a TCA name.

ok so let me see if i can get this:
1. clozapine: atypical antipsychotic, 5HT/DA blocker
2. clonidine: central alpha agonist
3. chlorpromazine: typical antipsychotic, blocking D2
4. carbamazepine: antiepileptic, monitor LFTS

AND 5. clomipramine: which is a TCA, blocking NE/5HT uptake!

it's very hard to simplify it beyond that except they all affect the nervous system! psychiatric drugs are hard!

allylz said:

it's very hard to simplify it beyond that except they all affect the nervous system psychiatric drugs are hard!

Great thread guys!, just to add Carbamezepine is also used in the treatment of trigeminal neuralgia....D.O.C I believe.

i got another one for you!

meniere's disease = swelling/rupture of membranous labyrinth (increased endolymph) leading to tinnitus, vertigo, deafness

meneTRiere's disease = hyperplasia of mucous secreting cells causing protein wasting, giant rugal folds due to hypertrophy, causes atrophic parietal cells (achlorhydria) and increased risk of adenocarcinoma

Thanks to allylz for adding and following the format! :thumbup:

I got another one today..

1. Pott's disease
2. Potter's disease

1. tuberculosis of the spine
2. oligohydramnios secondary to renal diseases such as bilateral renal agenesis, autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease, etc.

allylz said:

it's very hard to simplify it beyond that except they all affect the nervous system! psychiatric drugs are hard!

How about clomiphene? The pro-LH drug.

"1. clozapine: atypical antipsychotic, 5HT/DA blocker
AND 5. clomipramine: which is a TCA, blocking NE/5HT uptake!"

While we're at it...

6. Chlorpropamide: sulfonylurea for diabetes, oral hypoglycemic that stimulates endogenous insulin release

Awesome thread btw! :)

k2md said:
"1. clozapine: atypical antipsychotic, 5HT/DA blocker
AND 5. clomipramine: which is a TCA, blocking NE/5HT uptake!"

While we're at it...

6. Chlorpropamide: sulfonylurea for diabetes, oral hypoglycemic that stimulates endogenous insulin release

Awesome thread btw! :)

7. Don't forget clomiphene- fertility drug enhancing FSH secretion

1. Pemphigus Vulgaris
2. Bullous Pemphigoid

1. Serious (often fatal if not tx) autoimmune dz, flaccid bullae often affect oral mucous memb, painful but NOT pruritic; positive Nikolsky's sign (push on bullous, the blister moves laterally). IgG and C3 against epidermis.
2. autoimmume dz, large bullae, pruritic, usually does NOT affect mucous memb; neg Nikolsky's sign. IgG against basement.

More please? :D

Tan Son Nhat said:
Thanks to allylz for adding and following the format! :thumbup:

I got another one today..

1. Pott's disease
2. Potter's disease

1. tuberculosis of the spine
2. oligohydramnios secondary to renal diseases such as bilateral renal agenesis, autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease, etc.

Add in :

3. Pott's fracture
4. Pott's puffy tumor

3. A triad of medial malleolus and fibula fracture, as well as torn anterior tibiofibular ligament, in a forced eversion injury
4. subperiosteal abscess and osteomyelitis of the frontal bone secondary to sinusitis

Of course, eponyms are the low-hanging fruit in this game. Virchow or Cushing anyone?

1.Meckel's diverticulum
2.Meckel's cartilage
3.MeRckel disk
4.Merckel cells

1.Blind pouch on antimesenteric border of ileum
2.1st branchial arch derivative
3.MechanoReceptor
4.Type of cell found in basal epidermis ( probably related to Merckel disk, need confirmation )

This is a really helpful post :luck:

Erythema chronicum migrans- associated with Lyme Disease- bullseye lesion

Erythema induratum- uncommon, red slightly tender nodule that ulcerates-seen in teens and post menopausal women

Erythema multiforme- self limited hypersentivity reaction to infection or drugs; multiform target lesions seen

Erythema nodosum- associated with many infections, drugs, sarcoidosis, Inflammatory bowel disease; very tender red nodules on shins

Erythema marginatum- rheumatic fever