List of Top Asian Medical Universities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Izad Rasheed

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I searched the Internet for a list of the top Asian Medical Universities and all I found of note was Asiaweek's list of top universities. Unfortunately they were all multi-disciplinary universities that they considered, and not specialized medical universities.

Considering that the best medical universities are NOT multi-disciplinary, I'm still at a loss.

What are the top medical universities in Asia/Pacific? By this I mean MULTI-DISCIPLINARY (even though I have an idea about those) as well as specialized med universities (which I have NO idea on)

Your help is appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

I am assuming you will need to study in English...?

The World Directory of Medical Schools, a United Nations publication, has a listing of the medical schools in each country approved by whatever authority, usually governmental, in each country is responsible for such approval.

However, there is no rating of the schools.

Anyone seeking US licensure must be a graduate of a medical school with a Directory listing.

In Asia the best medical schools are probably the Australian ones. Judging from your location, I assume you may not be interested in the Indian ones.

Since there are so many Asian medical schools, you might first try making a short-list of those countries where you might be interested in going.
Medical schools in most countries will teach in their native language, not necessarily in English. The most likely candidates for English speakers are Australia, the Phillipines and India. But even if taught in English, you will have to be familiar with the predominant native tongue, or tongues, when it comes to clinical education.

Look also into Quatar: there is a new medical there--not for Americans--being set up with the participation of Cornell University Medical
school in New York. It appears to be for Middle Easterners, but they might stretch that to include Pakistanis. I do not have the specific information at hand, but I may be able to locate it. If I locate it I will post it for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
i wouldn't necessarily say that aussie schools are the best, i think it's just that they get more publicity, i'm not saying that they aren't good, what i mean is that there are other good asian schools out there. you would probably want to look into kiwi schools, from what i hear they are on par with most if not all aussie schools, the med school in qatar mentioned by the previous poster is actually a campus of the weil college of medicine(cornell medical college) the degree you get there would be the same as the one you would get at the med school in new york and although most of the students will be from qatar, they accept anyone qualified, the only problem is the real med program takes off in 2003 or 2004 don't remember. you could also take a look at UP in the philippines, i hear it used to be LCME accredited. another good school is NUS, it has got to be one of the top three in asia. you may also want to look into IMU in malaysia, it has a very good program and has many partner schools in the US, UK, Canada e.t.c.

Hehehe, Gower, "Judging from your location, I assume you may not be interested in the Indian ones." So true!

Who said I'm a Pakistani?! I just have the misfortune of being an American citizen in Islamabad for the time being (not a good thing :( )
Actually, I will need schooling in English, and am surprised to hear that knowing the native tongue is necessary for many schools. Oh boy...

If NUS is 'one of the top three in Asia' what are the other two? :p

i think you could get your money's worth in Philippine medical schools. i think that our schools here just don't get enough publicity and that people are just simply afraid to study here in the philippines. here is a list of schools that i consider as competitive schools:

1.UNIVERSITY OF THE PHILIPPINES COLLEGE OF MEDICINE

2. FAR EASTERN UNIVERSITY DR. NICANOR REYES MEDICAL FOUNDATION

3. UNIVERSITY OF SANTO TOMAS FACULTY OF MEDICINE AND SURGERY

4. UNIVERSITY OF THE EAST RAMON MAGSAYSAY MEMORIAL MEDICAL CENTER

5. ST. LUKES COLLEGE OF MEDICINE

there are other schools but i suggest that you look them up in the world directory of medical schools. i think it a UN publication. i stumbled upon the said book while i was in the library.

MARC CONRAD C. MOLINA
2ND YR MED STUDENT
FEU-NRMF INSTITUTE OF MEDICINE
QUEZON CITY, PHILIPPINES

Here is the entire 1999 directory on-line:

<a href="http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/WDMS/" target="_blank">http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/WDMS/</a>

Izad Rasheed,
Look no further than Karachi if you seek a world-quality medical education: Aga Khan Medical College. Last I heard, they had an exchange program with Harvard Med School. Im surprised no one mentioned them :)

Speaking of linkage programs, you might want to check out International Medical University in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (I'm K.L born and K.L bred). I believe you complete your basic science (first two years) in Malaysia then finish up your education with your linkage University (Jefferson, Mcgill, etc..)

<a href="http://www.imu.edu.my" target="_blank">http://www.imu.edu.my</a>