List of Useful Psychotherapy Books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Logic Prevails

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any clinical grad students or clinical psychologists care to share what books/hankbooks etc. they think are useful and worth reading?

I'll start:

Cognitive Therapy: Basics and Beyond (J. Beck)
Assessment of Children: Cognitive Applications (Sattler)

Members don't see this ad.

Brad3117 said:
Any clinical grad students or clinical psychologists care to share what books/hankbooks etc. they think are useful and worth reading?

I'll start:

Cognitive Therapy: Basics and Beyond (J. Beck)
Assessment of Children: Cognitive Applications (Sattler)

It's not a psychotherapy book, per se, but I always recommend Don't Shoot the Dog by Karen Pryor, for a good introduction/refresher on basic behavioral principles.

I would also recommend:

Weissman et al's Comprehensive Guide to Interpersonal Psychotherapy
Miller & Rollnick's Motivational Interviewing, 2nd Ed.

sattler isnt psychotherapy either :confused:

still a good assessment tool, though.

and the CT book, that's AARON Beck, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
JatPenn said:
sattler isnt psychotherapy either :confused:

still a good assessment tool, though.

and the CT book, that's AARON Beck, right?

No, it's by Judy Beck (Aaron Beck's daughter)

You're right, Sattler isn't a psychotherapy text. I thought I typed in "assessment" but didn't - I knew it was only a matter of time that someone would point it out (while not bothering to add anything to the list)

The actual psychologists on this board are so damn busy talking about their careers, how much money their making, the possibility of masters level psychologists etc. that none of them will even bother to suggest any books that they find (found) useful in their own graduate training or clinical practice.

I thought this woud be a very useful thread (worthy of a 'sticky'). I guess not.

Brad3117 said:
You're right, Sattler isn't a psychotherapy text. I thought I typed in "assessment" but didn't - I knew it was only a matter of time that someone would point it out (while not bothering to add anything to the list)

The actual psychologists on this board are so damn busy talking about their careers, how much money their making, the possibility of masters level psychologists etc. that none of them will even bother to suggest any books that they find (found) useful in their own graduate training or clinical practice.

I thought this woud be a very useful thread (worthy of a 'sticky'). I guess not.

Uh, well, here's my take:

I don't really find books like these to be helpful. Obviously not with my research where I would only be concerned with peer-reviewed publications, and not even in my clinical practice training. I am a fan of manualized, empirically supported treatments, and these are the only publications that I would find especially useful at this stage. Keep in mind that books like these offer only one person's opinion, and should not be accepted as part of the literature or a body of general knowledge.

Hopefully that explains why I didn't offer any of my own suggestions. I think a good number of people on this board might feel similar, explaining the lack of "stickying" this post. But maybe not, just IMO.