Fenouil

5+ Year Member
May 9, 2012
Status
Medical Student
I’m applying to MD schools this summer and just started filling out the AMCAS. I’m trying to decide whether to list roller derby as an EC. I was a roster skater for my city’s derby league for one bouting season (had to quit due to it being a major time sink) and volunteered as a nonskating official at bouts in which I didn’t skate (which involved setting up/taping down the track, selling merch, and penalty tracking). I was involved in the league for about a year.

Is this too risqué for a med school app? I can’t see a bunch of conservative old guys being too thrilled about it. “Blaah, Fenouil wants to be a physician but she spent a year wearing spanky pants and knocking girls off their skates and drinking!” (Unfortuately, I didn’t get to do much of those last two. Sigh.)

In case it matters, my stats: cGPA 3.87, sGPA 3.89, MCAT 34O (PS 10/VR 13/BS 11).

Ismet

PGY-almost done!
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
May 15, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
You should list it. There was a girl at one of my interviews who, when we went around the room in front of the Dean of Admissions saying something unique about ourselves, said she did roller derby. The Dean seemed very impressed - I'm sure they don't hear that every day!

Local Native

Go ahead,try to look away
5+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
I would put it down as an EC since you dedicated a fair amount of time to it. I'm sure someone will see it and think "this is a refreshing hobby" and it will set you apart in a sea of cookie cutter applicants.

Mar 27, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
I’m applying to MD schools this summer and just started filling out the AMCAS. I’m trying to decide whether to list roller derby as an EC. I was a roster skater for my city’s derby league for one bouting season (had to quit due to it being a major time sink) and volunteered as a nonskating official at bouts in which I didn’t skate (which involved setting up/taping down the track, selling merch, and penalty tracking). I was involved in the league for about a year.

Is this too risqué for a med school app? I can’t see a bunch of conservative old guys being too thrilled about it. “Blaah, Fenouil wants to be a physician but she spent a year wearing spanky pants and knocking girls off their skates and drinking!” (Unfortuately, I didn’t get to do much of those last two. Sigh.)

In case it matters, my stats: cGPA 3.87, sGPA 3.89, MCAT 34O (PS 10/VR 13/BS 11).
That. Is. Awesome. What's your roller derby name?!

OP
Fenouil

Fenouil

5+ Year Member
May 9, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Thanks guys! That's what I was hoping to hear. I'd really like to list it, but I was afraid it was too out there/unprofessional for a med school app. I guess as long as I present it in the right light there shouldn't be any problems, right?

That. Is. Awesome. What's your roller derby name?!
Thanks! I had an awesome derby name--which sadly expired after I went inactive, I think someone else is registered under it now--but sharing it would kind of give away my identity. There's an international roster of skater names, and they're pretty strict about no two skaters having the same name (or even similar names), so it's pretty easy to dig up a skater's identity once you have her derby name. I just googled my own to see if I came up, and I did--picture and all. :scared: