• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Site Updates Coming Soon

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

List some of your favorite science/medical-related terms

About the Ads

GWD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 30, 2007
  1. MD/PhD Student
*cringes at the Drosophiliacs on behalf of all geneticists around the world*

anatomical snuffbox
dimples of Venus
lymphangiogenesis
pertubation
funded

123 views, and 3 replies?!

maybe I'm the King of the Geeks, but I love the vernacular :love:

Upvote 0
About the Ads

Vader

Dark Lord of the Sith
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2001
  1. Attending Physician
Creutzfeld-Jakob disease
Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease
Guillain-Barre syndrome
neurosarcoidosis
neurocysticercosis
pretty much any neurological disease

if you can pronounce neurologic disease names correctly, it makes you seem quite knowledgeable... ;)

Upvote 0

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
Florida/Fellowship
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
  2. Attending Physician
Without question:

borborygmi
Good choice. :thumbup:

I like atelectasis (how it sounds, not seeing patients who have it :hungover: ) Also, pheochromocytoma. Pheo for short. It's such a cute, rhythmic name.

Upvote 0
About the Ads

lens

Autofocus is for chumps
May 6, 2011
Went looking through the archives and found this gem of a thread. Decided to bump it up to see if there was any further interest.

On a related note, how do you all pronounce "apoptosis"? The pathology attendings who taught our basic science classes (years ago for me, now) say appoe-TOH-sis, but everyone else in the world seems to say "ay-pop-tosis" or "ah-pop-tosis" -- any preferences here? :)

Upvote 0

erikreinertsen

MD/PhD student
5+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2009
Atlanta, GA
erikreinertsen.com
  1. MD/PhD Student
I heard an amazing story (unsure about veracity) about a molecular bio conference. A student had discovered some novel protein which had high levels of activity and folding for a short period of time, after which it underwent a conformational change and became dormant and quite stable. In fact, it was so stable that he named the protein "tenure" :D :D :D all these faculty became offended and there was all this drama... haha.

Upvote 0

gbwillner

Pastafarian
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2006
You've got the Touch- You've got the Power!
  1. Attending Physician
I heard an amazing story (unsure about veracity) about a molecular bio conference. A student had discovered some novel protein which had high levels of activity and folding for a short period of time, after which it underwent a conformational change and became dormant and quite stable. In fact, it was so stable that he named the protein "tenure" :D :D :D all these faculty became offended and there was all this drama... haha.

On a similar note.... did you know the Drosophila "gay" gene called "fruitless" was originally called "fruity"? Oh, what scientists do in the name of comedy...

...The more you know....

Upvote 0
About the Ads
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.