List Summer Study Abroad on AMCAS Activities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doggo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do people usually list studying summer study abroad on their AMCAS? I didn't put it on mine because I figured it wasn't a big deal to ADCOMS (it ended up being my favorite experience in college/life but I was just there to learn a language so it wasn't really related to medicine).

I'm wondering if I should try to find a way to bring it up in future interviews? Should I mention that I received a merit scholarship for it (it was part of an award from a different, unrelated activity I did so I did mention it in the description paragraph for that activity but I didn't really emphasize it much)?

Members don't see this ad.

And yes I suck at applications processes (just gonna pre-empt all the inevitable "Wow, you're stupid" posts)

1. You're not stupid. This is a valid question.
2. I'm going to bold this because it is very important: Not everything on your AMCAS has to tie into medicine. However, just because you didn't learn a language doesn't mean it was useless for your medical career. You went to a different country and you were immersed in a different culture from your own. As a physician, you will interact with people of many different cultures and socioeconomic backgrounds, so I believe studying or traveling abroad is actually a very meaningful activity to have.

Absolutely include it on your AMCAS. I did a summer study abroad program and included it on my application. I received scholarships to go on it and included them in my general "Honors/Awards" entry (make one entry and just list all of your awards and scholarships). If you're just talking about interviews, I wouldn't bring up the scholarships unless it comes up.

My study abroad experience became a major positive talking point in a lot of my interviews.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, definitely list it! Out of all of the things on my application, interviewers seemed most interested in my summer study abroad experience.

Reactions: 1 user
Whelp I just picked a big ole pile of Oopsie Daisies. Hopefully they noticed I took classes at a foreign university and inferred I must have done a study abroad lol. I think I might have mentioned it in a few secondary essays so hopefully that didn't confuse them too much haha.

Got into 1 school at least so I'm not gonna dwell on it.

TBH though it might've worked out in my favor. Once I start talking about my summer abroad experiences I tend to ramble and can't control myself (my sister actually imposed a limit on the amount of times I was allowed to mention it within one week of me getting back home haha).

I put Travelling as a hobby, and in my description talked about places I've done study abroad and went for leisure. I think it has had a huge role in shaping who I am as a person, so I listed it as an activity. Some of my interviewers have brought it up, others have not. I would agree that they would infer you've don't study abroad from having foreign university courses on your transcript.