List TA happening after application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Endoxifen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My honors mammalian physiology (really just human physio) asked me to TA his course. It's really cool because we get to lecture (250 students) when he's gone and, because he's the president of the faculty senate, he's gone a lot. This is going to be happening in the fall. Is it still OK to list this on the application even though it won't happen until later?

Members don't see this ad.

Normally I would suggest no but in this case maybe. Did this professor write you an LOR? If so, it might be worth the dovetail of presumably this atypical TA ship with his LOR. Still, it still wont be a huge impact
I haven't asked him for a LOR yet, but I can't imagine him saying no.

I don't expect this to be the cornerstone of my application or anything, but it might be a nice addition.

My honors mammalian physiology (really just human physio) asked me to TA his course. It's really cool because we get to lecture (250 students) when he's gone and, because he's the president of the faculty senate, he's gone a lot. This is going to be happening in the fall. Is it still OK to list this on the application even though it won't happen until later?
It's best to mention it in a fall update letter or Secondary essays, if it will happen. Besides, the AMCAS application won't allow you to enter and save a future date of onset for an activity.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's best to mention it in a fall update letter or Secondary essays, if it will happen. Besides, the AMCAS application won't allow you to enter and save a future date of onset for an activity.
Will it have the same impact in an update letter or an essay? I have pretty strong stats, so I'm not too concerned about being booted immediately from most of my schools, but fall seems quite late.

It's possible that the professor will be OK with me listing it has having started a few weeks ago because he asked me to put together a slide set for future use. If I do more of those jobs, then I'd be starting my TA duties within the appropriate timeframe for the application.

Will it have the same impact in an update letter or an essay? I have pretty strong stats, so I'm not too concerned about being booted immediately from most of my schools, but fall seems quite late.

It's possible that the professor will be OK with me listing it has having started a few weeks ago because he asked me to put together a slide set for future use. If I do more of those jobs, then I'd be starting my TA duties within the appropriate timeframe for the application.

You should aim to not havve to send any update letters if possible.

Will it have the same impact in an update letter or an essay?
it still wont be a huge impact
Listing a teaching activity when you have yet to start the teaching component is unlikely to give benefit to your application. Ditto with sending an update about an activity you've only just begun. I am in agreement with @gonnif unless you wait until you accumulate some face-to-face experience in the classroom and can reflect on it.