listening to AO while sleeping?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shahalam

brownmedstudent
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any idea if this would be a good idea? I heard stuff like this works but is it long term or short term? Just thought that I would listen to all the Bio lectures when I go to sleep one of these nights lol

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard some good tries to take the easy way out...this has to be one of the top. Sleep studying is probably not a good idea for the obvious reasons.

I fall asleep listening to it.. the first time i wake up i turn it off.

The last thing you hear before you go to sleep IS more active in your brain, but once you're asleep it's useless.

Just a good way for me to study when my eyes are too tired to read!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the osmosis of Audio Osmosis isn't meant literally...or at least not in terms of sleep osmosis. :)

The last thing you hear before you go to sleep IS more active in your brain, but once you're asleep it's useless.

The last thing you remember when waking up will stay with you a while.

The last thing you hear before you sleep is gone - our brain doesn't consolidate into memory the last 5-10 minutes before we fall asleep (apparently we need to be conscious to consolidate memory and it takes time too).

That's why people cannot remember what they were thinking the exact moment they fell asleep.

The last thing you remember when waking up will stay with you a while.

The last thing you hear before you sleep is gone - our brain doesn't consolidate into memory the last 5-10 minutes before we fall asleep (apparently we need to be conscious to consolidate memory and it takes time too).

That's why people cannot remember what they were thinking the exact moment they fell asleep.

damn. maybe i better stay away from sleep medicine. :laugh:
thanks for clearin that up.. i knew i'd heard something like that...

You know, it probably won't work too well, and it's definitely not a replacement for listening to them when you're conscious, but it can't hurt anything. Besides, I used to listen to the radio all the time while I was sleeping, and often the commercials would work their way into my dreams. And when I woke up, I remembered what the message of the commercials had been (and some of the specific phrases that were in them), and when I heard the commericals again when I was awake, I had a better idea of what they were going to say. Heck, I could even quote some of them. So I say it's worth a shot, at least. At the worst it'll make no difference at all, but you don't necessarily know that it'll make no difference, and it can't hurt, so why not?

Well the worst thing that could happen is disrupt your sleep. I'm no sleep therapist, but listening to it might cause you get less quality sleep. Just tossin that in there.

Okay, that's true, it probably could disrupt some people's sleep. I personally know that background noise (like the radio or a CD) doesn't disturb me in the least when I'm sleeping because I listened to the radio all night long from grade school through high school. If you know it won't disturb you, then you might as well listen to it. If you don't know if it will disturb you, try listening to it for a few nights and then see how you feel. If you don't feel as well rested as you normally do, then it's probably not worth it to keep it up. But if you feel it won't bother you, then in that case I don't see any reason not to listen to them.

In general, I typically sleep rather poorly and wake up frequently. I've listened to AO a couple times while sleeping, and waking up constantly to hear someone talking about chemistry has made me kind of dream about it a couple times, though not in any type of useful context. Similar to how one might fall asleep in the dorm and dream about whatever your roommate is watching. If your roommate is a dork. I guess my point is only sleep with AO on if you hate yourself and don't want to use sleep as a way to unwind.

Any idea if this would be a good idea? I heard stuff like this works but is it long term or short term? Just thought that I would listen to all the Bio lectures when I go to sleep one of these nights lol

Only if you plan on taking the test while you are sleeping.