Listing all schools applied to. Does it look bad if...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Schnitzels

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to over a dozen schools. What will the adcoms think when they see that? :(

For example, NOVAs supplemental asks you to:
List all the Dental Programs to which you are applying this year or to which you have applied in the past (include year, program/institution, if you had or will have an interview, and current status).

But could you get away with a simple response like:
Fall 2008, DDS/DMD Multiple institutions.

I'm guessing no. The schools that ask for this information from me will likely look like one on a long shopping list.

Members don't see this ad.

I would guess no they want names. But i think it is more for them to see what others school they have to beat out to get you to go to their school if you meet their standards. dont worry about trying for 12 some people do 19+

Don't worry about it. If you end up looking bad for applying to 12+, I'll look even worse for applying to 20+.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry about it. If you end up looking bad for applying to 12+, I'll look even worse for applying to 20+.
And then I'll be shamed w/ my 30+. This question has come up so many times here and I understand why b/c I worried about it myself. I'm adhereing to the mantra: "it shows how badly I want to get into d-school". My unscientific poll reports that most current d-school students think adcoms don't give a rip if you applied to 5 schools or 50 schools. Just ensure you make that school feel like they're your #1 choice when you interview.

I applied to several schools and on the supplemental last year I listed the schools like this: School A, School B, School C, School D, School E, among others. I listed ~6 schools of the several I applied to. I did that for two reasons, (1) there is not enough room on some of the supplementals to put the full name of 10+ schools, and (2) for the same reason you are wondering if you should list all the schools you are applying to. In all honesty, I don't think they look down upon it unless you applied to more than half the schools in the country... like someone said, I think they use to see who they might be competing with to get you to come to their school if you meet their standards.