Listing Conference Presentations on AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Noctámbulo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the shortest, acceptable way to list conference presentations on AMCAS when there are too many to fit within the 700-character limit using traditional formatting styles? Can co-authors be denoted as et al.?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There are different citation styles you might want to try. For instance, JACS style omits the title and uses front and middle initials. Others will be either shorter or longer depending on the style. You might be able to find one or create one that involves only title, journal, volume, page numbers. Basically the important stuff so that they know A) the overall gist of the work and B) where to find it if they so choose. The author list isn't too informative - at least not more so than the information I mentioned.

Edit: Oh, you're talking about conferences. In that case, you could probably do title, conference title including subtitle if it was a subfield meeting that was part of a bigger conference, and date.

Reactions: 1 user
What is the shortest, yet still kosher way to list conference presentations on AMCAS when there are too many to fit within the 700-character limit using traditional formatting styles? Can co-authors be denoted as et al.?
A formal citation isn't necessary, as it would be for, say, a CV or resume. So take whatever shortcuts you need to when filling out the AMCAS application.

If you presented similar data at more than one conference, you can list it under the most prestigious conference name, then add at the end "Also presented at XXX Regional Conference 4/16 and YYY Campus Symposium 1/16."

Rather than including an authors list, you can just say you were first author, 4th author, or whatever. You can also shorten the true title of the poster to one that summarizes the topic. If you are an author on a poster, but didn't personally present it, give credit where it's due, but still list it.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also: If the data set from the campus presentation was later presented in poster format at a regional conference and then finally published in a national journal, you would cite is under Publication and then mention after the citation in the same space, "Data also presented orally at DDDD College Research Symposium x/x/xx, and again as a poster that won second place at the YYY Conference in Tucson z/zz/zz date."

Also: If the data set from the campus presentation was later presented in poster format at a regional conference and then finally published in a national journal, you would cite is under Publication and then mention after the citation in the same space, "Data also presented orally at DDDD College Research Symposium x/x/xx, and again as a poster that won second place at the YYY Conference in Tucson z/zz/zz date."
I'm running short on space, so this is a great tip! Now wondering if I can get rid of "poster presentations" as its own activity altogether, and instead include presentation experiences within their respective research slots. Currently, I'm grouping research experiences together in pairs, so there's little room for explanation. In your (experienced!) opinion, is it okay to include one sentence about the topic of research, and then list associated grants/travel awards/conference posters and presentation awards? Applying MD-PhD, if that matters, so I can expand on the details of research projects within the separate research experiences essay, though I'm not sure if MD-only committees would still have access to this information should my application be routed their way upon rejection from MD-PhD.

1) Now wondering if I can get rid of "poster presentations" as its own activity altogether, and instead include presentation experiences within their respective research slots.

2) In your (experienced!) opinion, is it okay to include one sentence about the topic of research, and then list associated grants/travel awards/conference posters and presentation awards? Applying MD-PhD, if that matters, so I can expand on the details of research projects within the separate research experiences essay, though

3) I'm not sure if MD-only committees would still have access to this information should my application be routed their way upon rejection from MD-PhD.
1) Yes, you could get rid of "Posters/Presentations" altogether (as there's no "one right way" to do things). Regardless, I'd particularly encourage including any campus symposium poster to be kept with its affiliated Research entry, as these tend not to undergo a selective process for inclusion in a Research Day presentation, and so aren't much regarded. But keep in mind, if you had a poster that you presented at a regional, national, or international venue, but which data was not eventually published, it would be more traditional to list it in a Posters/Presentations space, as that is where adcomms will look for it. You get to decide.

2) Yes. And, if you want to save some space, you might omit Travel Awards, as no one will likely care.

3) Generally, MD adcomms will not be given access to the PhD portion of the application.