Listing (declined) Fellowships On Your CV?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychApps2009

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off, apologies if this has been answered elsewhere (I did a search with little luck).

Here is my question:

Is it ever appropriate to list notable honors/awards/or fellowships that you have declined on your CV?

I never thought of this and was recently updating my CV and came across a couple of documents (for example here and here) that seem to indicate that you would. Granted, I've also seen opinion posts that argue against it in other forums (while googling the topic).

Thoughts on this within our specific field? If it is ever appropriate, for what type of honors/award/grants/fellowships would one argue it to be acceptable?

Edit: My gut answer to this is a no by the way (at least, I personally wouldn't feel comfortable doing it); but I'd figure I'd pick your brains about it to make sure I'm not missing a practice that is commonly done or something, even if further on in careers (when it comes to grants etc.).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I wouldn't list declined awards.

Also, that first article has a few other silly things. E.g.:

"your dissertation abstract, where you can indicate your dissertation committee and thus your intellectual pedigree"

ha.

"List your departmental mailing address, but don’t use the departmental phone number. Use your home or cell phone—a number that you actually answer personally"

...not if you're putting it online...

"your dissertation abstract, where you can indicate your dissertation committee and thus your intellectual pedigree"

I found that strange too! What I've seen on most graduate student CVs is at most listing their advisor I believe (but not entire committees).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hard to imagine when it would be appropriate. You could list a prestigous one you didn't get if you were selected to be in the finalist pool (eg Rhodes Scholar semi-finalist)--but short of that it is more likely to seem weird and self-promoting in a way that would be a turn off in many places I think.

I was told to list them. Hmmm....

The declined fellowships thing or the committee thing?

I found this topic interesting because, for example, I was awarded two fellowships at the school I will be attending but can only choose one. I was awarded another 'notable' fellowship at a school I declined - but definitely saw no reason to list that one, as I wouldn't even be going there.

I could see listing it for really high level awards, as someone said, but I'm unsure what we consider "high level" within the field of psychology. Are we talking graduate school/university fellowships? Or more national awards?

ummm ya, no...

Fellowships, scholarships, and other awards:

Nobel Peace Prize - Award declined
Nebula Award - Award declined
Pulitzer Prize - Award declined
Fields Medal - Award declined
Rolf Schock Prize - Award declined
Order of the British Empire - Award declined
Psi Chi Kay Wilson Leadership Award - Accepted

I think it might look a little goofy personally.

Mark

The declined fellowships thing or the committee thing?

Are we talking graduate school/university fellowships? Or more national awards?

Sorry, I meant the declined fellowships. These were graduate fellowships that I have listed. My advisor said it would be good to list them, but now I wonder if that's right.

Lol. That just made my night.

I know these fellowships don't necessarily apply to clinical psych, but if an experimental psych or other basic-science student received both an NSF and an NDSEG fellowship in the same year, it would absolutely be standard practice to list both on a CV, with a parenthetical "declined" after the one that was not accepted (assuming concurrent award of those two fellowships is not currently permitted -- I'm not sure).

ummm ya, no...

I think it might look a little goofy personally.

Mark

Lol Mark. You always make me laugh.

I know these fellowships don't necessarily apply to clinical psych, but if an experimental psych or other basic-science student received both an NSF and an NDSEG fellowship in the same year, it would absolutely be standard practice to list both on a CV, with a parenthetical "declined" after the one that was not accepted (assuming concurrent award of those two fellowships is not currently permitted -- I'm not sure).

These are the type of awards I was referring to when i meant prestigious :)

These are the type of awards I was referring to when i meant prestigious :)

I could see stating XXX declined in order to accept XXX. That's fair game. Just don't get carried away with it... once is probably enough to make the point.

Mark