This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpicyHotSauce

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The general consensus is to not list activities before college. Are there any activities you did once you went to college that is related to your time when you were in scouts? I know you didn’t volunteer in scouts, but did you do something else that was directly inspired by your scouting experience?

I am also an Eagle Scout. I did not explicitly list anything I did in scouting as an activity on AMCAS, since it was all before I turned 18. However, the time I spent earning my Eagle Scout Award did directly inspire me to do conservation work and assist in environmental research, which I did list on AMCAS. I mentioned my time as an Eagle Scout as the cause for me to undertake environmental work in the experience description for that activity.

For what it’s worth, several of my interviewers noticed my intro about being an Eagle Scout in the experience description and were very positive about it. However, I think being able to draw a connection into it being directly related into work that is meaningful to me now was what made the award stand out more.

Reactions: 2 users
Eagle Scout here too. I agree with TheKingfish- not an adequate activity. However, what I did was I put my Eagle Scout project in the personal statement as a sort of seed that spurred further ambition to become a physician. Seems to have worked well.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Eagle scout here, the other people in the thread are wrong -- list it.

I remember 2 interviews where we talked about it positively. Shows dedication from a young age and a desire to help the community.

Don't make it most meaningful, it's too far removed. But have it fill 1 of the 15

Reactions: 2 users
Eagle scout here, the other people in the thread are wrong -- list it.

I remember 2 interviews where we talked about it positively. Shows dedication from a young age and a desire to help the community.

Don't make it most meaningful, it's too far removed. But have it fill 1 of the 15
I meant in regards to most meaningful. It’s worth listing imho

Agree with all the above. Several interviewers asked about my Eagle Scout experience, which gave me a chance to discuss leadership gained from it. Nothing like the Eagle's Nest.

In REGARD (there's no 's') to most meaningful, include it. It is no small achievement. It demonstrates a commitment to a worthy and difficult-to-obtain goal from early on, as noted by another (correct) poster.

Reactions: 1 user
I've been on the fence about Eagle Scout work. Usual rule of thumb is to never list high school activities, but I take exception to any that involves national or international recognition. If you got a Jack Kent Cooke scholarship, became a finalist at the Regeneron Science Talent Search, were a Presidential Scholar, won an Olympic Gold Medal or a significant national award (HOSA), I'd list it. Does Eagle Scout count in this? For a number of faculty, yes, as they know how much effort goes into it and how few Eagle Scouts there are.

No an Eagle Scout project won't get you into medical school by itself. A track record of continued and committed community service should follow it IMO.

Reactions: 4 users
Personally, I would list it but not as a most meaningful experience unless you don’t have anything else to list.

Most know what an Eagle Scout is and therefore it shouldn’t need a great deal of explanation beyond the space allocated to non-meaningful

Reactions: 3 users
My son listed Eagle Scout in Honors and Awards.

Eagle Scout here. I listed it for medical school application, residency application and fellowship application. I got asked about it at least once at each interview, in each of those interview cycles. It was always a positive experience since I could talk about it and how the skills I learned in Boy Scouts easily translated into medicine. I also list it on my Curriculum Vitae now. Some things, like Eagle Scout, never get removed because of the years of time, work, and dedication that go into it and it is nationally recognized.

Being a scout actually is what made me interested in becoming a physician. I have talked about it on my personal statement too.

I have seen debates whether to list eagle scout on AMCAS. However, what are your thoughts about listing it as a most meaningful activity? This is where my story about becoming a physician started, so I thought about mentioning it as a most meaningful activity.

For reference, I have completed my undergrad in a small city in Canada. There weren't any boy scout troops to volunteer at, and so I was not able to volunteer and spend time with boy scouts after becoming an Eagle.

Also, I was wondering about how many hours to report on this achievement? I spent my whole middle school and high school working towards this achievement.
I listed my lifelong involvement in martial arts as a most meaningful activity, even though I (regretfully) did not participate in during college. It's analogous to your situation, and I ended up with fine first-round application outcomes.

It was a very powerful experience in my life and was integral to my character. Furthermore, I truly believe my involvement will make me a better physician eventually. If your experience as an Eagle Scout aligns with this, and you feel passionately that there aren't 3 other experiences in your life that could adequately substitute, I'd add it. I too struggle to reconcile with the whole "pre-college" thing.

It's rare that someone has truly lifelong, longitudinal commitment like this. Medicine is one of those pursuits. Luckily, you can put your money where your mouth is when you say you are in medicine for the long haul, by reflecting thoughtfully on your Eagle experience.

Reactions: 1 user
List it, and continue to have it on your CV for the rest of your career. My Eagle Scout was brought up in every medical school interview, and almost every residency interview I went on.