Listing EC references on Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HawaiiHereICome

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When you apply to medical school, are you given the option to list contact information for those who supervised your extracurriculars. For example, Orchestra Conductors, Hospital Supervisors, Volunteer Coordinators etc... Lol, I guess i'm wondering if this is a way you can both verify your participation in the EC's you claim to participate in and also Sneak in additional positive recommendations beyond the LOR's you submitted.

Thanks guys

it would be nice to know because if you can, there are a few people that I probably should reconnect with.

Thanks Guys

Members don't see this ad.

I've never heard of an instant were EC contact people were ever contacted.

You never know, and I know of plenty of people who would more than love to write me a LOR. I'm sure many of us have people in our lives outside of academics who could write very strong LORs. But all my LOR's will likely come from instructors, except one from a coworker/supervisor. How do you know that EC contacts are never contacted?

Members don't see this ad :)
First of all, there's no space for contact info other than a name. Secondly, if you realized how utterly slow this process is, you would know that most med schools don't have the time to be calling people to verify your EC's. Most of them can't even process LOR's or send out a status email promptly. They're just going to ask you at the interview about your EC's. That's their verification.

First of all, there's no space for contact info other than a name. Secondly, if you realized how utterly slow this process is, you would know that most med schools don't have the time to be calling people to verify your EC's. Most of them can't even process LOR's or send out a status email promptly. They're just going to ask you at the interview about your EC's. That's their verification.

I wonder how often people lie about their ECs, or exaggerate.

You never know, and I know of plenty of people who would more than love to write me a LOR. I'm sure many of us have people in our lives outside of academics who could write very strong LORs. But all my LOR's will likely come from instructors, except one from a coworker/supervisor. How do you know that EC contacts are never contacted?

For one, you don't provide contact information. Two, AMCAS simply doesn't have time to verify contacts of tens of thousands of applications. It just doesn't happen.