Listing Honors/Awards/Recognition on AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shkaun

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the honors/awards/recogition section of "work activitie" can we list all the different awards and honors under one section. So can I put scholarhips and Dean's list under the same subject, or do I have to designate two subjects for this?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If you're hurting for room in your application, I think putting them all together in the text box (and giving the Award the title of "School-specific awards" or something) would be fine. If you've ever seen a printed AMCAS (what the interviewers, etc, see) it's not like there's a table of contents -- you have to read through the thing either way to see what a student has done. I put my Phi Beta Kappa on its own, but I don't think it made a difference that I did.

For awards, they'll asks the specific date for each award. I'd list it seperately for the more prestigious and important ones. Things like Deans List are not necessary to put on the application because they could figure that you got it from your GPA and hence wouldn't make you stand out. You could add a couple of lines in your personal statement to show your varying degree of scholarship and academic awards.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had the room to list them separately, but for something like dean's list, i put the date for the first time i got on it, then specified the other semesters in the narrative section. no reason to list deans list 6 times on its own :eek:

I had the room to list them separately, but for something like dean's list, i put the date for the first time i got on it, then specified the other semesters in the narrative section. no reason to list deans list 6 times on its own :eek:

Yah sorry should have clarified. I was saying the other person should put Deans List separate from another non Dean's List award. But I agree with what you said completely!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Oh and I don't necessarily think Dean's List should be one of the top priority things on the AMCAS 15 EC list unless you have room after filling other things because it doesn't distinguish you from the other several thousands of students with high GPAs that are applying and hence who also have that same distinction.

Any thoughts on how ECs should be organized? In order of importance? In order of date, most recent to least recent? In order of type of activity, all research experiences, all service experiences, etc? Also, I spoke to my school's pre-med advisor and she said the description should be around 4-5 sentances for something that needs explaining (basically anything except for really common things like Dean's List) and in that description should be what you got/learned from the activity. I have seen some difference of opinion on this, any thougths? Thanks!

Any thoughts on how ECs should be organized? In order of importance? In order of date, most recent to least recent? In order of type of activity, all research experiences, all service experiences, etc? Also, I spoke to my school's pre-med advisor and she said the description should be around 4-5 sentances for something that needs explaining (basically anything except for really common things like Dean's List) and in that description should be what you got/learned from the activity. I have seen some difference of opinion on this, any thougths? Thanks!

I believe AMCAS will sort them in order of date. Or at least it used to be like that. I had filled out an AMCAS a few years back though I never submitted it due to various reasons. When I filled out the old version it had automatically sorted it out. I don't think it matters what order you list it in.

Part A: What you duties were.
Part B: What you learned.

Those are the two essentials to the description. There was a thread by sailcrazy last year with regards to the 15 EC list. I'll have to look it up in my email where I saved it.