Listing LGBT Volunteer Activities in ERAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I list LGBT volunteering in my general surgery ERAS app?

• Total voters

Doc187

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I list my volunteering in a group about LGBT-related issues in medicine? I'd assume that it wouldn't be a problem, except I know the culture of surgery is still rather conservative politically. I'm applying to general surgery this cycle and am balancing the fact that it shows involvement versus the possibility that it may hurt my application (although in an ideal world it should not).

Members don't see this ad.

Should I list my volunteering in a group about LGBT-related issues in medicine? I'd assume that it wouldn't be a problem, except I know the culture of surgery is still rather conservative politically. I'm applying to general surgery this cycle and am balancing the fact that it shows involvement versus the possibility that it may hurt my application (although in an ideal world it should not).
Honestly, I'm not aware that surgeons are more politically conservative than any other medical specialty.

If it hurts your application, I'd gather thats not a program you'd want to be at anyway, right?

Fair or not, listing LGBT activities on your application will only hurt you. You can think about it two ways:
1. I want the best chance of matching at a wide variety of programs....then don't list it.
2. If this is seen as a red flag, then I don't want to train there anyway....then go ahead and list it.

What is the advantage of listing it? Are you lacking other typical volunteer activities?