Listing Multiple publications and presentations on AMCAS

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by willbeMD, Jun 25, 2001.

1. willbeMD

willbeMD Member

How are you all putting in your publications and presentations?? Are you putting each one in seperately or are you combining them into one? The reason I ask is because if I do each one seperatley it brings my post-secondary section from 20 to 30 items and this seems like it would be too many.
    Any input would be great!!
    Thanks
    PS How many experiences are most people putting in this section?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. drintraining

drintraining Member

I combined them such that I entered publications on a per year basis and only included significant publications. This enabled me to bring down secondary experiences from 62 to 44. In addition I didnt enter a lot of awards just because it became repetitive. I think I am going to leave things out to get the list even smaller. I am sure adcoms are not going to read over that many items. What does everybody else think.

4. sandflea

sandflea Senior Member

62 experiences?! wow, that's a hell of a lot. are you many years out of college? or do you have a significant number of publications or awards?

i don't know what kinds of extracurricular activities you put down but i stuck to the ones that i either held leadership positions in, those that were medically-relevant, or those that i devoted a lot of time to. everything else i left out because i think that the fewer activities/awards/etc that you list, the more attention adcoms will give to each.

just my two cents. if you really have 62 publications/awards/etc., i'm really impressed! :)

5. cm7b5

cm7b5 Senior Member

I cut mine down from 33 to 16. I am not going to insult the intelligence of the adcoms. I think they go for quality over quantity. :cool:

6. I agree. I've talked to many people regarding this very issue and they've told me that it's not the quantity but the quality. (that goes for other things too ;))

7. sandflea

sandflea Senior Member

i think i listed somewhere around 20. i felt this was too many but there was really nothing i wanted to cut out--i left some stuff out as it was. these 20 experiences included all the jobs i held during college (as i went to an expensive private school and my family is far from rich, i had to contribute a chunk of my college expenses in order to be able to go to school and i mentioned this in the description section for every job i listed, as that's where all my wages went), the most significant activites in college (some medically related, others i held leadership positions or devoted a lot of time to), research internships/positions, publications/posters, and volunteer work.

i'm still curious as to how you came up with 62!!!

8. mdhopeful

mdhopeful Senior Member

carolina, i ended up with 30. i had a similar problem about publications. for example, i had a few volunteer experiences that resulted in a poster presentation and a publication, so I listed all three of them separately. I described the responsibilities and duties of each as separate. However, I did not include a 4th entry of "conferences attended" b/c that would have been too repetitive. My feeling is that less is better. However, for the publications, the citation would have taken up half of the description space, which would have been too restrictive to adequately describe the experience. Good luck.

9. mdhopeful

mdhopeful Senior Member

sidenote to all. i am starting my 4th year out of college. had i only included college experiences, it would have amounted to <10. good luck to all.

10. Legend

Legend Super Senior Member

Attending Physician
    I am having trouble determining what can be 'SIGNIFICANT' experiences.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

school ethnic clubs?
    completing First Aid/CPR courses/training?
    Also, I am a professional musician (classical)so I have numerous recognitions/honors/concerts, etc.
    I was wondering if I should list each event separately or just say I am a musician.

thank you.

11. mdhopeful

mdhopeful Senior Member

hi legi, in choosing experiences, i tried to have several that covered specific time periods. for example, i have had much more substantial experience out of college than during. so, to cover the college period i included the major activites of mine at the time, which in hindsight compared to what i have done now, seem minor. i don't know the details of your app, but if you were a professional musician, i would clearly state that. don't be afraid to toot your own horn on your app. no one else is going to do it for you, and this is your one chance to impress.

12. willbeMD

willbeMD Member

thanks all! I have been out of undergrad for a few years and have done a few things. I guess i should re-evaluate which are the most important and try to keep the experiences to about 15-20. It stinks that there are no solid guidelines for us to follow!!