Listing of PBL schools vs traditional

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lalalala

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
is there a list online anywhere that states which schools are PBL, which are traditional, and which are a mix? i ran a search on SDN but i couldn't find any thread that had a complete listing. Is this information available in the MSAR? thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

there are really a few schools that are on the extreme of pbl or traditional - with the vast majority being some sort of mix. even places like cornell which stress their pblness do incorporate some lecture time. i guess we can list the extremes -- though i'm sure it is possible to contest even those

would someone be able to give me an idea of what the setup is at these schools, or are these schools predominantly a mix? -- umdnj-rwj, umdnj-newark, MCP/drexel, temple, jefferson, and GW? thanks a bunch!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by lalalala
would someone be able to give me an idea of what the setup is at these schools, or are these schools predominantly a mix? -- umdnj-rwj, umdnj-newark, MCP/drexel, temple, jefferson, and GW? thanks a bunch!

From what I've heard from friends, Jeff is traditional. It's a solid curriculum.

I think Temple is a mixed system in which the students take a few classes at a time, and they're all integrated together so that the organ systems, etc.. are taught in parallel. I've heard really good things about their program.

I'm not sure, but GW may be traditional?? I know that's not much to go by. Maybe someone else could offer more.

Originally posted by Lady MD
From what I've heard from friends, Jeff is traditional. It's a solid curriculum.

I think Temple is a mixed system in which the students take a few classes at a time, and they're all integrated together so that the organ systems, etc.. are taught in parallel. I've heard really good things about their program.

I'm not sure, but GW may be traditional?? I know that's not much to go by. Maybe someone else could offer more.

Tufts' curriculum used to be a mess (all day classes, very traditional, and most importantly, very little integration). Now we have a block system where we take 3-4 integrated classes at a time and people love the shorter days and follow the material better (survey showed 75% of people were satisfied or very satisfied with the change, and that's with a disproportinate level of prepetual whiners answering). We also have PBL once a week for 2 hours, clinical selectives every Tuesday afternoon, etc. I would say that with the exception of Tuesdays, we NEVER finish later than noon. We finished our Infectious Disease block a few weeks ago, and are well into our Neuro/Psych block now.

And yes, GW has a very traditional curriculum with 9-5 or 9-4 classes. I was told this at my interview 1.5 years ago and don't think it's changed.

Originally posted by Katie
Now we have a block system where we take 3-4 integrated classes at a time and people love the shorter days and follow the material better (survey showed 75% of people were satisfied or very satisfied with the change, and that's with a disproportinate level of prepetual whiners answering).

Temple and Tufts sound like they have similar currics. Both schools are very well-respected in the field.

"SURVEY says!"

Sorry, I just got a 'Family Feud' flashback for a second there. :D

Originally posted by Nirvana
Temple and Tufts sound like they have similar currics. Both schools are very well-respected in the field.

"SURVEY says!"

Sorry, I just got a 'Family Feud' flashback for a second there. :D

thank you for your praise of Tufts; we don't see that positive attitude on SDN too much:) I agree with you that Temple is also very well-respected, and the Temple students (Lara, phillystyl, ussdefiant, etc.. apologies for anyone I left out) seem to be very intelligent and cool people! I can just picture 'Family Feud' contestants trying to answer the question, what city is Tufts Med School in? uh, Miami? LA? Timbuktu?;) unless, of course the contestants are from Mass..

BTW, just a note.. wanted to let people know that I meant no offense with the GW remark I made.. just b/c it's a traditional curriculum doesn't mean that I think it's a poor school, just that it (much like Tufts last year) wouldn't be the best curriculum for me personally. GW is also a great school; I just think Tufts and Boston were better suited for me, while other people can't stand Beantown and the nasty weather we sometimes get (I love snow though so doesn't bother me). well good night and peace.

--K.