Listing shadowing in "Work/Activities" on AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chocolatethunder

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am currently working on my AMCAS Primary Application and I have a question. I am trying to list shadowing on the application but I am not sure about how to input it. I've had 3 experiences where I have technically "shadowed" physicians.

1.) I worked as a clinical research associate where I have been in the ER for about 1000 hours. During this time I've technically shadowed doctors during the entire time I was there. Furthermore, about 100 hours of those hours were actually "designated shadowing" hours by my supervisor who let me follow ER Residents around and observe them without simultaneously enrolling patients into clinical studies as part of my job.

2.) I worked as a language interpreter in a major hospital, where I had to translate for non-English speaking patients in pretty much every single medical profession, for a total 200 hours.

3.) I was a scribe for 500 hours in family practice and pediatrics and 3000 hours in urgent care, where I was in the room 100% percent of the time during the entire patient/provider exchange.

Now besides the 100 hrs that were "official shadowing" in the ER (only one medical profession compared to the dozens I've observed in other instances) all my other experiences are "unofficial shadowing."

Is it assumed, that adcoms will know that I've shadowed through other experiences or do I have to actually do official shadowing, where I'm not working at a job, but exclusively following a doctor and watching them.

Also, do I make a separate "shadowing" tab or just mention that I've shadowed at all of these.

Ahead of time, sorry if this is a dumb question, but I was just curious about how to label these in the work/activities. I have a lot of great experiences that I want to share and I just want to portray them accurately and truthfully.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
To me (though I suggest waiting for more comments, n=1) they could all go in multiple categories. Therefore, you should identify them to make up for other lacks in your application. 100 hours in more than enough (make sure you don't accidentally say 1000 hours like you did here though), though the fact that it's all one specialty may raise some eyebrows. If the interpretation was not paid it could also be volunteering. I'm assuming 300 hours in urgent care (not 3000) and the scribing could be paid work. If you are missing volunteering, you can choose to use these for that.

But yeah, accidentally typing an extra zero is a bad idea and you did it twice, so be careful!!!! (Unless those weren't typos, in which case WOW)

do you have separate shadowing experiences also? if so, list those by themselves. then, for example under the category you list research under, put the total hours: 1000 hrs and then the breakdown: 900 research + 100 shadowing. that's what I did

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
To me (though I suggest waiting for more comments, n=1) they could all go in multiple categories. Therefore, you should identify them to make up for other lacks in your application. 100 hours in more than enough (make sure you don't accidentally say 1000 hours like you did here though), though the fact that it's all one specialty may raise some eyebrows. If the interpretation was not paid it could also be volunteering. I'm assuming 300 hours in urgent care (not 3000) and the scribing could be paid work. If you are missing volunteering, you can choose to use these for that.

But yeah, accidentally typing an extra zero is a bad idea and you did it twice, so be careful!!!! (Unless those weren't typos, in which case WOW)

Thank you Attempting Scholar. No, those weren't typos lol, but I wanted to give a clarification on those hours. I worked 1000 hours as a clinical research associate (about 10-15 hrs a week part time over 2 years). As far as 3000 hours urgent care scribing, I recently began scribing in urgent care and since I will have a gap year, by the time I matriculate while holding down this job (its full time 40-45 hrs a week), I will have 3000 hours by July/August 2018.

do you have separate shadowing experiences also? if so, list those by themselves. then, for example under the category you list research under, put the total hours: 1000 hrs and then the breakdown: 900 research + 100 shadowing. that's what I did

Thanks for the reply fluffysquirrel!

I do not have separate official shadowing experiences outside of those 100 hours in the ER. I guess my question stemmed from the fact that I have had all of these experiences where I observed doctors for so many hours but don't have a lot of official shadowing under my belt. Would all of those experiences nonetheless qualify as shadowing?

I guess the semantics of what qualifies as shadowing for medical school has always confused me, so I wanted to see what everyone else though about this question.

Thanks for the reply fluffysquirrel!

I do not have separate official shadowing experiences outside of those 100 hours in the ER. I guess my question stemmed from the fact that I have had all of these experiences where I observed doctors for so many hours but don't have a lot of official shadowing under my belt. Would all of those experiences nonetheless qualify as shadowing?

I guess the semantics of what qualifies as shadowing for medical school has always confused me, so I wanted to see what everyone else though about this question.

Yes, they do qualify as shadowing when I discussed it with an adcom member. If you don't have separate experiences, I would go ahead and put the hours you spent shadowing in the various places under the "physician shadowing" category on amcas but make sure you explain it in the description that it was during the activities. as long as you list a contact, i don't think you'll have any problems

@Goro @gyngyn

Please let me know if you guys also know the correct method of how to list shadowing on the AMCAS from these experiences!

Yes, they do qualify as shadowing when I discussed it with an adcom member. If you don't have separate experiences, I would go ahead and put the hours you spent shadowing in the various places under the "physician shadowing" category on amcas but make sure you explain it in the description that it was during the activities. as long as you list a contact, i don't think you'll have any problems

That's great advice, I was hoping to describe it in that manner as well! It seems like a good way to clarify everything properly without the adcoms thinking I have gaps in my shadowing experiences.

You absolutely do not need 3000 shadowing hours. Shadowing implies passivity, almost. You don't do much as a shadow. It might come across as a waste of time compared to actually doing something. I'd put it somewhere else and mention in the description that shadowing was a component.

Also, wow!

You absolutely do not need 3000 shadowing hours. Shadowing implies passivity, almost. You don't do much as a shadow. It might come across as a waste of time compared to actually doing something. I'd put it somewhere else and mention in the description that shadowing was a component.

Also, wow!

Thank you! Yes I definitely believe that all of the experiences on my resume where I have worked alongside doctors have all been very beneficial to me and I never felt like I needed to shadow more on the side. I have already seen enough from all of my paid jobs and volunteer positions in the medical field.

And yes if someone spent 3000 hours purely shadowing without pay, that would be completely ridiculous lol. For me working as a scribe is also a way for me to pay rent and survive. I've been working as a construction worker for most of my college career, so this is a much better change :happy:

Wow that's a perfect threat for me gyngyn! I will definitely post my question in there for Catalystik right now. Thank you for helping!

what gyngyn did was link you to someone who already asked your question...read Catalystik's response

what gyngyn did was link you to someone who already asked your question...read Catalystik's response

Oh you're right, I see a similar question answered. It clarified a little on what I should do, but if Catalystik has time I would also like to see what he thinks about my specific scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.