Listing Significant Others are "Ties to a state"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mariambaby3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to a US state school as an international applicant (I have no US citizenship or Permanent Residency status).

My American boyfriend lives in the same state as this state school.

On the secondary, this school asked me if I have any ties to the state.

Is it better to say "I have no ties to the state" or to say that "My boyfriend lives in this state."?

Members don't see this ad.

I think the Minnesota secondary asks if you have any 'special' circumstances and mentions relationships as an example (can't remember exactly what it was). So at least one school cares.

Personally, I wouldn't mention it unless you are engaged/joined/married/have a child or some other similar binding tie. Plenty of people date for years and break up and even more break up during a major transition, such as going to medical school. You relationship, in that case, won't say much about 'ties'.

I think the Minnesota secondary asks if you have any 'special' circumstances and mentions relationships as an example (can't remember exactly what it was). So at least one school cares.

Personally, I wouldn't mention it unless you are engaged/joined/married/have a child or some other similar binding tie. Plenty of people date for years and break up and even more break up during a major transition, such as going to medical school. You relationship, in that case, won't say much about 'ties'.

But do you think it would hurt to put it on there relative to putting nothing ("I have no ties.")?

Members don't see this ad :)
But do you think it would hurt to put it on there relative to putting nothing ("I have no ties.")?

Being an International applicant is going to play a much bigger role in the process than anything else you can try to put forth. You won't suddenly be viewed on the same level as a US citizen, if that's what you're asking in a roundabout way. That being said, I don't think it will hurt but it does seem a bit immature as boyfriend-girlfriend SO relationships are generally not considered worth mentioning. As kyamh said, if you were engaged/married/have some other significant long-term attachment then it may come into play.

Being an International applicant is going to play a much bigger role in the process than anything else you can try to put forth. You won't suddenly be viewed on the same level as a US citizen, if that's what you're asking in a roundabout way. That being said, I don't think it will hurt but it does seem a bit immature as boyfriend-girlfriend SO relationships are generally not considered worth mentioning. As kyamh said, if you were engaged/married/have some other significant long-term attachment then it may come into play.

Thanks for the input guys!

Just curious, but what state/school is it?

Are you sure that the school accepts international students?

It's OK to mention your boyfriend is there, but I don't think it will help. The taxpayers who would be subsidizing your education want to know that in return, you'll stay and practice in the state.

I am applying to a US state school as an international applicant (I have no US citizenship or Permanent Residency status).

My American boyfriend lives in the same state as this state school.

On the secondary, this school asked me if I have any ties to the state.

Is it better to say "I have no ties to the state" or to say that "My boyfriend lives in this state."?