Listing tutoring as community service

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Teeth12345

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I did some English tutoring in college during the summers but it was not under any specific program. It was more of a self-created mini-English class with a few young kids.
The community service/volunteer section asks specifically for the name of the program and of course, I don't have one.

Do you guys think I should just not include my tutoring hours even though it was technically community service.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I did some English tutoring in college during the summers but it was not under any specific program. It was more of a self-created mini-English class with a few young kids.
The community service/volunteer section asks specifically for the name of the program and of course, I don't have one.

Do you guys think I should just not include my tutoring hours even though it was technically community service.

Thanks!

No - you did community service so put it. Just say it was through the english department or foreign language department or whatever. . .

I would definitely put it. I did the same type of thing with some kids at a local elementary school. It wasn't with an organization per se, so I just put the name of the school in that spot.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would definitely put it. I did the same type of thing with some kids at a local elementary school. It wasn't with an organization per se, so I just put the name of the school in that spot.

My problem is that I didn't do it at a school. It was abroad and basically, I noticed how a bunch of the neighborhood kids were obsessed with me talking in English. So I gathered about 5 of them and held weekly English lessons for them. Nothing too extensive because they were young, but they could actually read basic words by the end!

Would it be weird if I put "Personal Tutor" as the organization and explain in the description box that it was an informal class created by me?

My problem is that I didn't do it at a school. It was abroad and basically, I noticed how a bunch of the neighborhood kids were obsessed with me talking in English. So I gathered about 5 of them and held weekly English lessons for them. Nothing too extensive because they were young, but they could actually read basic words by the end!

Would it be weird if I put "Personal Tutor" as the organization and explain in the description box that it was an informal class created by me?

Private tutor.

Hi,

Thanks!

Then also put every time you opened a door for a lady and every time you walked an elderly person across the street... The name of the program is there for a reason. I have a Masters Certificate in tutoring. I did not list every time I put together sessions outside of school to help others succeed in their classes during undergraduate.

Then also put every time you opened a door for a lady and every time you walked an elderly person across the street... The name of the program is there for a reason. I have a Masters Certificate in tutoring. I did not list every time I put together sessions outside of school to help others succeed in their classes during undergraduate.

No reason to be sarcastic. The name of the program is there for convenience. The aadcoms will read whatever you put there. So, if you believe that holding doors open for ladies will impress them, go ahead and put that, but that isn't as impressive as organizing a small group of kids and tutoring them in English. Something doesn't have to be through an organization to be a service. I'd be much more interested (if I were on an admissions committee) of seeing someone take the initiative, as was was done here, over someone who went through some organization. Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with going through an organization for volunteering at all, but stuff like this shows some initiative in my opinion.

No reason to be sarcastic. The name of the program is there for convenience. The aadcoms will read whatever you put there. So, if you believe that holding doors open for ladies will impress them, go ahead and put that, but that isn't as impressive as organizing a small group of kids and tutoring them in English. Something doesn't have to be through an organization to be a service. I'd be much more interested (if I were on an admissions committee) of seeing someone take the initiative, as was was done here, over someone who went through some organization. Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with going through an organization for volunteering at all, but stuff like this shows some initiative in my opinion.

thank you reely. your comment was a lot nicer and helpful than the other one :)

Yeah in the end it is better to put something than to put nothing. Sorry Teeth don't dwell on my prior response too much, I am in an annoyed mood from supplemental applications that make me re-due another whole aadsas application from scratch.

Yeah in the end it is better to put something than to put nothing. Sorry Teeth don't dwell on my prior response too much, I am in an annoyed mood from supplemental applications that make me re-due another whole aadsas application from scratch.

i'm in the same boat rnbaxter. good luck :)