Lists of 5 "Don'ts" by specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Neat link! Some, like FM, give you a bonus 5. Seems like a good thing to review before each rotation in that field.

It'd be interesting to compare those recommendations with what happens on rotations.

Members don't see this ad :)
There isn't one for emergency medicine :(

I can think of a lot of does, but not a lot of don'ts that would be good for med students.

Perhaps: 1. Don't underdose narcotics. The correct weight-based STARTING dose is 0.05-0.1mg/kg.of morphine.

Perhaps: 1. Don't underdose narcotics. The correct weight-based STARTING dose is 0.05-0.1mg/kg.of morphine.

Seriously. When I see 1mg or 2mg PRN q2 hr for severe pain ordered for a 80 KG persone, I just shake my head. What is the point.

There isn't one for emergency medicine :(

I can think of a lot of does, but not a lot of don'ts that would be good for med students.

Is this for the entire day?

I think I've seen like 4mg morphine sulfate IV push q4 PRN pretty routinely...

Is this for the entire day?

I think I've seen like 4mg morphine sulfate IV push q4 PRN pretty routinely...

it's for the starting dose of IV morphine (PO morphine requires 3 times the dose for equivalence). some people require more than this, e.g., 4-8mg is appropriate for an 80kg person to start with (7mg being approximately equivalent to 1mg dilaudid), sometimes they'll need more. You keep giving until their pain is relieved. Depends on the person and their tolerance and their condition. I once had to give 40mg in one hour to a 60kg girl for 2nd degree burns over 60% of her body. (4 separate doses I think)

When I was a medical student, I saw plenty of people give 2mg at a time and accuse people who keep requesting more of drug-seeking behavior because they don't realize that they're severely underdosing.

it's for the starting dose of IV morphine (PO morphine requires 3 times the dose for equivalence). some people require more than this, e.g., 4-8mg is appropriate for an 80kg person to start with (7mg being approximately equivalent to 1mg dilaudid), sometimes they'll need more. You keep giving until their pain is relieved. Depends on the person and their tolerance and their condition. I once had to give 40mg in one hour to a 60kg girl for 2nd degree burns over 60% of her body. (4 separate doses I think)

When I was a medical student, I saw plenty of people give 2mg at a time and accuse people who keep requesting more of drug-seeking behavior because they don't realize that they're severely underdosing.

Exactly the experience I've had... thanks for the info!