Lists of schools, seal of approval?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sushichopstickz

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to submit my AMCAS application today and would like to get a perspective on some schools. I am a California resident and was wondering if the following schools are friendly towards out of state residents? I already have a core list of schools that I am applying to and feel like I can add some more from this list:

1. U. of Cincinnati
2. OHSU
3. Albany
4. Stony Brook
5. SUNY Buffalo
6. EVMS
7. Michigan State U.

Members don't see this ad.

Cincinnati is good for OOS (i believe) ... oregeon doesn't take many OOS, but they do take some. i was just looking at their website. something like 90% are OOS applicants, but 70% of their class is IS... so, yeah. can't speak for the others.

good luck!:D:thumbup::luck:

If you are thinking about EVMS, what about VCU?

Also, the MSAR has the percentage of OOS students matriculating at all of the medical schools. These stats might also be posted on the school selection spreadsheet on the "What are my Chances" sub-forum.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do have VCU under my core list. I guess EVMS is also OOS friendly,so I will add it to my list. I have the 2007-08 copy of the MSAR, and it's not as clear on OOS acceptance %. I will have to bum a new copy. Any inputs on the SUNY schools? My list is getting kinda long ~35ish and I want to cap it at that. I want to get rid of schools that I will have 0 chance of getting in.

Last edited:
Ditto about Oregon being harder to get into OOS than some of the others. But yeah, I have seen some OOS applicants get in. Funny, but all the ones I can think of are older non-traditional students (with kids). Could just be a coincidence though.

And for the SUNYs, I've heard you can get instate tuition after a year.

If you have Michigan State, how about Wayne State? Or is that already in your list? I guess you're not really interested in other suggestions or you would have posted your whole list. But thought I'd throw it out there. Good luck.

This is what I sorta have so far. It's quite the list, and woud love to trim/tweak the list as much as possible.The thing that makes the list long is the fact that I am applying to almost all the CA schools. Ideally, I want to submit ~35 schools. The list is at 37.

Red = Reach Schools
Blue = Decent chance for interviews and such

Albert Einstein, NY
Creighton University, NE
Drexel University, PA
George Washington, DC
Georgetown, DC
Loyola University, IL
Medical College of Wisconsin, WI
New York Medical College, NY
Penn State, PA
St. Louis University, MO